Very Confused!

gatewaya89 replied on 02/07/2017 07:31

Posted on 02/07/2017 07:31

Hi All

Our caravan is an Avondale Avocet and has an awning rail height of just 216 cm, OK that being the case the manual/book states that this van takes a 852 cm awning height, OK so far then start looking for an 852 cm awning simple! Ah! I hear you say there's no such height as 852 cm full awning and you would be right! So spoke to Colin at Isabella direct and was told that an 850 cm would fit our van perfectly as they have about 10cm of give in material either way in them.

OK so now we look for an 850 cm awning on the second-hand market! just by chance someone sold us an 850 cm awning which turned out to actually be an 800 cm awning! now they didn't know neither did we but what we learnt from it was 2 things, 1st always look for label on canvas to confirm its the size you want and secondly try it on your van to see if its fits!

We tried on our awning which was an 800 cm only to find it didn't fit of course! But hey Ho light bulb moment not only didn't it fit but the gap left to fit correctly was huge! And I mean huge! we estimated that not even an 850 cm would fit but perhaps the van would take more of an 875 cm to fit correctly at least this size would allow for skirt to drop to floor correctly and sit down right we estimated that an 850/2 skirts still wouldn't reach the floor and sit correctly?

So you can see now we are confused as to which size to get! Measure the awning rail with a bit of string I hear you shout! Yep done that and got the tee shirt! Guess what 852 cm ground to ground on a level pitch even after 15 years use of the van! So I/We give up perhaps other Avondale Avocet owners out there may be able to enlighten the newbie’s here!

Thanks for any replies.

replied on 02/07/2017 07:41

Posted on 02/07/2017 07:41

Nothing to do with model. Yes a porch awning can be a problem on a sloping pitch. You need enough material to be able to splay the back corners by as much as at least 15'' at a guess. This gives more chance on a sloping pitch. I no longer use an awning so will rely on others to comment further. 

Generally not a problem with a full awning.

Wildwood replied on 02/07/2017 14:39

Posted on 02/07/2017 14:39

I think an 800 awning would be too short whatever as 52 cm is too long to be made up. Their are firms advertising in the club and other magazines that will alter them if that is what you want and you need a full size awning.

Personally unless you really need a full size one though, I would look at a largish porch awning which is then not dependent on the length of the awning rail and should still fit if you change the caravan, when a full size one almost certainly will not.

gatewaya89 replied on 02/07/2017 14:50

Posted on 02/07/2017 14:50

Hi Wildwood

Can't do a porch awning as awning height on an Avondale Avocet is 216 cm and you need 235/50 cm for all the porch awnings today! See what I mean though :( its hard work looking for this awning but thank you for comments

EasyT

Model I agree but awning height is the key thing here and ours is only 216 cm awning to floor therefore couldn't have a porch even if we wanted so that's why we are chasing full awning where height wouldn't matter?

replied on 02/07/2017 19:44

Posted on 02/07/2017 19:44

Sorry. For some reason I thought you were looking for a porch awning. Indeed measure with a piece of chord is the normal answer.

gatewaya89 replied on 03/07/2017 06:17

Posted on 03/07/2017 06:17

Hi All

So bit the bullet at the weekend and ended up ordering a brand new awning from Glossop, Now they say it will fit so seeing is believing I hear..lol

Will update all after the 17th as that is when it will get its first run out!

tigerfish replied on 04/07/2017 15:56

Posted on 04/07/2017 15:56

Only just read this thread, but as an ex avondale owner I know that the boat style roof did result in a lower awning height.

As a result Isabella, -IMHO the very best awning manufacturer, did market a range of awnings specifically designed to fit Avondales.

Obviously when Avondale ceased production, so did Isabella soon stop making awnings to fit them.  But they still may be able to advise. They have always had an excellent customer services ethic.

TF

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook