Van advice please

TheMathers replied on 27/03/2019 16:39

Posted on 27/03/2019 16:39

Hi, we are about to purchase our first van but we have a few requirements which is causing me a few issues with selection.  Please can somebody advise me if there is a van which ticks the following boxes:

Maximum 22 foot

4 berth

fixed bed (2 x singles or double)

Lounge at front that can be two singles or one double

Seperate toilet and shower.

My mother has mobility issues which is why the wet room option is not viable.

The Bailey Pegasus ticks all the boxes but the length is too long.

Many thanks in advance.

Settermum replied on 02/04/2019 08:14

Posted on 02/04/2019 08:14

Sorry, I have no suggestions for you except to say I doubt you'll find the configuration you want. My own caravan is close to the length you need but is an average size two berth. So to get fixed bed/beds in there as well is not really possible. I hope someone will come along with better news but to me, it seems unlikely. I think you will have to get something bigger.

replied on 02/04/2019 09:06

Posted on 02/04/2019 09:06

There are models that give a transverse fixed double and where front seats can make a double bed but shortest that I am aware of is 24' shipping length

replied on 02/04/2019 09:33

Posted on 02/04/2019 09:33

Bailey Phenix 440 is 22' 7'' 

SteveL replied on 02/04/2019 10:44

Posted on 02/04/2019 10:44

Seperate toilet and shower.

My mother has mobility issues which is why the wet room option is not viable.

Be careful about the separate shower, if your mum has mobility issues. Some are very tight. We have just changed from a U2 Cadiz with separate shower, to a MH with a combined system with pull across screen, and where staggered how much easier it was showering. There was so much more room.

Content removed in post above by me. For some reason it kept quoting a post I had not selected.☹️

lornalou1 replied on 02/04/2019 11:38

Posted on 02/04/2019 11:38

I would think that with disability problems the best thing would be to use club sites with access facilities for this purpose, then it's just the toilet to be bothered with. experience as my wife is disabled.

DSB replied on 02/04/2019 13:32

Posted on 02/04/2019 13:32

Which ever caravan you decide on, take a good look at the user payload - don't fall into the trap of thinking , when you've got the 'van, you can fill it whatever you want.  When you've taken off the weight of a motor mover, battery and an extra gas bottle, it does leave you fairly limited to what you can carry.  These days we travel with any outside chairs/ table in the car - together with the awning, pegs, storm straps, aquaroll; wastemaster, cadac, electric hook up lead etc.  So the items e carry in the caravan tend to be limited to clothes, bedding, towels and kitchen utensils/ plates, cutlery etc.

David

Juschilling replied on 10/04/2019 15:41

Posted on 10/04/2019 15:41

Our van is a Lunar Quaser 525 and is 22ft 5". While not a fixed bed it has bench seating at the front and back so we took out the back cushions and put in a mattress. 

We also have a separate shower though the bathroom is on the small side.

Its no longer made and the sizes varied from year to year, ours is a 2009.

peedee replied on 10/04/2019 19:34

Posted on 02/04/2019 11:38 by lornalou1

I would think that with disability problems the best thing would be to use club sites with access facilities for this purpose, then it's just the toilet to be bothered with. experience as my wife is disabled.

Posted on 10/04/2019 19:34

I agree that is how we started off. I'd also agree with SteveL. There is much more room in combined toilet shower room. Don't ignore a wet room if you want to use your onboard facilities.

peedee

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook