Using gas cooker in a car park

SueRoe replied on 01/10/2017 11:53

Posted on 01/10/2017 11:53

Just had our first trip away in our campervan. Stopped at the beach carpark on the way home and wanted to make a cup of tea using our gas cooker. The carpark was empty as it was the end of the day but we didn't know if this was illegal. Obviously it would be reckless to light up in a busy carpark but when no-one else is around is it actually illegal? Thanks in anticipation of any help.

DSB replied on 01/10/2017 12:03

Posted on 01/10/2017 12:03

I can't think it would be 'illegal'.  I imagine it would depend on careful judgment.  I would feel happy at the situation you describe.

David 

young thomas replied on 01/10/2017 12:25

Posted on 01/10/2017 12:25

Reckless?...this is what Mhs and campers are for...wink

thousands of vans all over europe are brewing up (using has) as i type, i cant believe any consider themselves reckless.

many of the european wide stopping places are (for better or worse) glorifoed car parks....i wouldn't hesitate to have a cuppa (or even my evening meal) on the go.... and often vans will be closer together than they would be on a CC site.

DavidKlyne replied on 01/10/2017 12:55

Posted on 01/10/2017 12:55

I would have thought that unless there are signs to the contrary, like there often are on motorway service stations,  it would be perfectly acceptable to boil a kettle. A lot of parking areas say no open fires but that is not aimed at boiling a kettle in a camper. What we do, when moving between campsites, is to have a flask of hot water so that we can make a coffee or tea en route which works quite well in that particular circumstance and is usually a bit quicker!

David

Takethedogalong replied on 01/10/2017 13:17

Posted on 01/10/2017 13:17

Don't worry SueRoe, using the cooker in your MH is fine. If there are signs saying no cooking then just move on, but I think we have only ever come across one, and in truth, unless it is a permanently staffed car park, very rare, then no one tends to notice anyway!

We have done full meals let alone cups of tea! One of the chief delights of a MH is having your own gourmet cafe at beck and call, anywhere, anytime, and with clean toilet available! Even if your payload restricts onboard water tank fill up while travelling, just have a container with enough for what you might need. 

If the weather is poor, we still drive out somewhere, give dogs a quick walk, then back into MH for some bird watching while waiting for a nice meal to cook! We have done hill tops in howling gales, Winter moorland pull ins in the dark, beachside picnics in the dunes....all miles from anywhere just peace and quiet, the odd passerby wondering what we were up to, secretly envying our cup of tea!

brue replied on 01/10/2017 13:19

Posted on 01/10/2017 13:19

We've often used our gas when parked up for a day out, used the gas kettle to make a drink and wash up plus the oven if needed. Usually out in the country or sea side. In fact we'll probably take the van for a day visit to a Dorset or Somerset beach this Autumn. smile

Takethedogalong replied on 01/10/2017 13:32

Posted on 01/10/2017 13:32

We have always used cooker, even in caravan for enroute rests, although our van doesn't have an oven, so usually toast, soup etc....We avoid service stations like the plague. Our MH is used for days out as well brue, lovely isn't it?laughing

crannman replied on 01/10/2017 15:16

Posted on 01/10/2017 15:16

being a truck driver I use a double burner camping stove all the time when ever I park up cook a meal boil kettle no problem 

replied on 01/10/2017 17:03

Posted on 01/10/2017 17:03

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

triky auto replied on 01/10/2017 18:33

Posted on 01/10/2017 15:16 by crannman

being a truck driver I use a double burner camping stove all the time when ever I park up cook a meal boil kettle no problem 

Posted on 01/10/2017 18:33

wink When touring you will often see the continental truckers set up their cooking facilities on the running board or a nearby camping table ,then all the other truckers join in and they all cook their meals and eat outside,complete with bottles of wine etc etc .It's just the done thing !!

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook