UK v Abroad ?

starbys replied on 23/08/2016 14:54

Posted on 23/08/2016 14:54

We're very new to this game and despite having our caravan only a couple of weeks we have visited 4 sites so far and we're off again next week for a week but we're keeping local (Norfolk) and getting used to everything.

I just wondered how long you left it before making your first long trip and have you ventured abroad ?

If so where did you go and how long had you been caravanning before you made that move?

I am feeling happy to stay in the UK for the foreseeable as I think there are so many brilliant places to visit.

DougS replied on 23/08/2016 15:47

Posted on 23/08/2016 15:47

There are indeed loads of fantastic UK places to visit and we have done some and hope to do more.

We only started about 5 years ago (just before we retired in one piece) and bought the caravan with the specific intention of going abroad for longer periods (not worth it for us going for a couple of weeks if you have expensive ferry costs to write off?)

We don't go in the peak periods.

Good Points: Roads are usually VERY quiet compared to UK, travelling is easy and relaxed. Usually no need to book sites - you have flexibility. In UK having to be booked in almost everywhere means planning and compromising, even Club sites can be difficult to book when you want. ACSI book gives you access to a list of sites which are cheaper out of season. Prices of everything may be cheaper, fuel usually is and the rest is "part of the holiday" if cost is a problem then caravanning isn't a way to reduce them unless you stay away for weeks living rather than holidaying.

We went abroad for the first time after about a year but once you know the ropes it's time to consider it. The sights we've seen could not have been done any other way (package tours or car & hotels everywhere was too expensive for us) Experiencing the places you often see on TV news etc, puts a new slant on life.

Travelling allows you to see more of the country than just jetting in and out (although city breaks by air can offer better value if it's just a couple of days)

Had always wanted to go to Austria (thanks to M. Portillo's journeys by rail!) so first trip was Netherlands -Germany-Austria. We do have relatives in Germany so have visited them several times.

This year we had two months in Spain/Portugal, visiting the Algarve where other family members flew out to join us for some SUN (done this a couple of times). This is probably the BIGGEST reason going abroad makes sense, UK weather just can't be predicted. We have had some poor weather abroad but have always had long periods of great weather where you can live outdoors (another massive life changer)

There is lots of planning involved but that's part of the fun for me. Your views may differ, as ever.

starbys replied on 23/08/2016 15:57

Posted on 23/08/2016 15:57

Cheers Doug, that sounds really tempting. Not quite ready for retirement yet (financially anyway) but the prospect of a Southern Spain trip for a few months feels like a must when the time is right. Thanks for your views. Appreciated.Laughing

hitchglitch replied on 23/08/2016 16:05

Posted on 23/08/2016 16:05

We started caravanning about 30 years ago (we now have a motorhome).  We hired a van to tour Scotland for a week - it rained non-stop but we had fun! We then hired a van to pick up in France and drove to Switzerland - fabulous.  We did the same the following year then committed to buying  van.

Ever since we have spent no more than 2 nights at any UK site but mainly travelled abroad - France, Italy, Switzerland.  Never to Spain - too far and rather barren we think (others will disagree).

I dont think we ever wanted to stay in the UK for any length of time and certainly won't now we have retired.  Caravanning on the continent is so much better in every way - more space, better weather, more adventurous, cheaper site fees.  The one thing we always did was NEVER book (even in August, but avoid the hot spots like the Mediterranean).  If we got to Calais and it was raining we would carry on until the sun came out; generally at Valence, South of Lyon.

Enjoy.

KjellNN replied on 23/08/2016 16:11

Posted on 23/08/2016 16:11

Since retiring 9 years back we spend about 4 months each year away, 3 months + 1 month, plus the odd week or so occasionally.  Usually at least 8-10 weeks of this is abroad. Sometimes we spend the whole 4 months abroad.

Before retirement we were limited to 3 weeks abroad and a total of 3 weeks in UK, though on 2 occasions I saved up holidays and managed 6 weeks.

In 3 weeks we managed as far as Austria, longer trips were to southern Italy in 2003, and Northern Norway in 1999.

We also used to go to Norway back in the 70s and 80s with our first caravan.

The longer the trip the better the value.

These days we never book abroad as we go low season, using ACSI as above.

cyberyacht replied on 23/08/2016 16:25

Posted on 23/08/2016 16:25

Since you live in Norfolk, the shortest route to the continent will be Harwich/ Felixstowe which places you ideally for the Netherlands, northern Germany and the Baltic coast. Not that I've been, apart from Netherlands but I'm ten minutes from Portsmouth ferries. Never try to go too far in a fortnight. I never went south of Bordeaux in two week trips.

The comment on Spain is valid. You only have to look out of a plane window and compare the colour of the fields on either side of the Pyrenees. There's an old proverb that 'the Sahara starts at the Pyrenees' and my wife, upon our return from our apartment in Spain, is always effusive about our own 'green and pleasant land'.

starbys replied on 23/08/2016 16:30

Posted on 23/08/2016 16:30

Cyberyaucht. I've been visiting Southern Spain for 50 years and the Motorhomes, Tourers and Campers seem to be having the most fun. Some of the sites look amazing but without three spare weeks at a time ( preferably a lot more) I think we need keep dreaming. Great idea on Netherlands etc. Thanks

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook