TV aerial v satellite?

VWSprout replied on 11/08/2017 10:21

Posted on 11/08/2017 10:21

We have a 2 year old Coachman Vision fitted with a high gain, omni-directional aerial. It is a stick type aerial that you see on cars. We have a TV with free view. Our TV reception seems to be very hit and miss. In worthing we get full signal and all channels. In Cheddar we could not get any signal, although vans around us could. Now in South Wales we cannot get any BBC channels, although the TV has picked up over 100 channels. We bought a small One For All booster from Argos and that has not solved the problem. When we asked yesterday in a caravan accessory shop about our aerial, they said that as our caravan is young, the aerial is about as good as it gets! 

We do not know if we need to get a different aerial and put it on a pole and clamp to the jockey wheel? Or do we go down the satellite and freesat box route? We don't want to keep paying out to try to sort a problem, we want to get the right kit for the job. We are not solely dependant on watching tv but it would be good to have the choice.

any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

ChrisRogers replied on 11/08/2017 11:22

Posted on 11/08/2017 11:22

Our Avtex TV has freeview and free to air tuners as standard, most of the time the TV gets a good signal with the Avtex 'stick' on the top, if not just set up the sat dish, only takes 5 mins or so.

ForestR replied on 11/08/2017 11:44

Posted on 11/08/2017 11:44

Same aerial as you on Coachman caravan and same problem of hit and miss reception but we have a small suitcase type satellite freesat kit which we have used for nearly ten years. We can generally get good reception in this country once I learned how to lock on to the right satellite. At first I found it a chore and took a lot of time but provided there are no obstructions such as tall trees in direct line to the satellite I can now set it up very quickly. I have to admit there are a number of sites where I can only get to the satellite on certain pitches and on some sites like Clumber Park and Haycraft  it is very difficult. Ours is an inexpensive kit which was recently available at Aldi for about £70. You can spend a lot of money on more sophisticated satellite systems and still have difficulty on some sites with tall trees.

SteveL replied on 11/08/2017 11:56

Posted on 11/08/2017 11:56

We never got on very well with the omni directional one on the other van. Whilst the directional Status aerial on our current one seems a lot better. However, how much of this is due to the aerial and how much to the digital change over, I am not sure. Certainly at home the signal strength is much better since we went digital.

On most club sites where the signal is poor there is a loop system, which you can connect to with a 25 m coaxial lead.

A satellite system need not cost the earth and is a useful back up. Tripod, dish and coax about £50. Freesat decoder, if not built into your, TV around £40 / £50.

Another thing to remember is that in more remote areas, although the signal may be good, the repeater transmitters do not carry the full spectrum of freeview channels. Often in these locations you only get the main ones and loose out on things like film4, cbs, Dave and Pick.

Tinwheeler replied on 11/08/2017 13:02

Posted on 11/08/2017 13:02

A directional aerial is more likely to receive a better signal than an omni directional one as it concentrates fully on receiving signals from one direction and I would totally disagree with the chap in the shop who said the stick aerial is as good as it gets.

The drawback with satellite systems is that you need to be clear of trees and other obstructions to pick up the satellite signal and it is more to carry and set up. 

lesbunny replied on 11/08/2017 13:27

Posted on 11/08/2017 13:27

Bosha, your cheapest option is the aerial on a pole solution, but this may still not get you a clear picture in all scenarios. Fleabay usually has the "satellite in a case" for sale & I have used one of these in the past successfully. I'm afraid the only way to cover all eventualities is to carry:

1, a directional aerial.

2, a 25 mtr coaxial cable to hook up to on-site looped TV.

3, a satellite system of some kind ( there are many but if you caravan abroad you may need the larger sized dish ).

DavidKlyne replied on 11/08/2017 17:21

Posted on 11/08/2017 17:21

On our last caravan we had a Status 530 aerial which I felt worked really well when digital TV was up and running. However we also had a satellite system mainly to allow us to get UK TV in Europe. The problem with satellite set ups and aerials on poles you have to store them whilst travelling. When we changed to a motorhome one of my treats was to have an automatic system fitted on the roof and that is so... easy but expensive.

David

replied on 11/08/2017 17:35

Posted on 11/08/2017 17:35

2 years ago (probably June) I was on a CL near Wellingborough. Chap on a nearby pitch asked what my TV reception was like on that site. He said that he had been on three sites with his new caravan and stick aerial and that it was useless.We don't watch TV when on holiday and on that occasion I was on my own and I abhor TV generally. However the set was set up as I intended to sit with a double of Malt later and watch a DVD. The directional aerial on our caravan picked up loads of channels. 

richardandros replied on 12/08/2017 07:07

Posted on 12/08/2017 07:07

We have the Status directional aerial in our Barcelona and with the built-in amplifier, I find it gives near perfect reception in all parts of the country. On the odd occasion I can't get a signal, I use an Avtex TV / satellite system with "Easyfind" technology which makes finding the satellite really quick and simple.  Originally, I went down the 'cheap 'n cheerful' path with a TV and satellite dish from Aldi - but it was rubbish and went back. The Avtex solution is expensive - but it works!

peedee replied on 12/08/2017 07:45

Posted on 12/08/2017 07:45

We have an omni and a satellite system. We mostly use satellite (Freesat) but if we cannot get a signal, we try the we search the terrestrial band using the omni. There are only very very few occasions when we cannot get a signal. Suplement your existing system with Freesat.

peedee

replied on 14/08/2017 09:32

Posted on 14/08/2017 09:32

Does anyone have any advice on which portable satellite system to buy, with a satellite dish on a tripod. They vary so much in price from £100 up to £1000. I have seen them on eBay but have no idea which would be suitable 

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook