Truma Ultrastore hot water - help need

landroverland replied on 29/05/2018 20:56

Posted on 29/05/2018 20:56

Hi so we have purchased our first caravan an Abbey GTS Vogue 2004 (we are very excited) and we are struggling to get the hot water hot. We have been for a couple of weekends so far and managed without hot water but would be nice to have. 

Using the Gas it will heat but doesn't seem to get very hot (the temp dial has very little movement on it) and using electric hook up it doesn't seem to be heating at all. We have looked for a switch to tell it which source to use but no luck - can anyone shed a little light? How do you tell it whether to use gas or electric? 

Thank you - we are sure it is something obvious!

brightstar2 replied on 29/05/2018 21:49

Posted on 29/05/2018 21:49

We have ultrastore water heater in our Adria .our boiler controls are on the side of the bed base ( rear double )

One control is for gas supply with temperature control and led light to indicate powered by gas .

The ehu side is a normal mains on/ off switch - again with red led in switch.( we use this on electricity almost all of the time)

You must ensure your aquaroll is full and that your pump is switched on as this replenishes water into your boiler.

It is possible that your layout is different but principles should be same.

Suggest you download your model caravan and then go into it to see if boiler installation / operation is there.

Hope this helps.

landroverland replied on 29/05/2018 22:01

Posted on 29/05/2018 22:01

Hi Brightstar.  Thank you for the reply. We are struggling to find a switch! Definitely have similar controls by bed (gas control) but no switch located as yet. Good advice with the water supply we have plugged it all in in the front garden and emptied two aquarolls so far trying to work it out. 

We have the manuals for the caravan but they seem to shed no light.

Children not worried as they think its a great reason not to wash! 

DavidKlyne replied on 29/05/2018 22:07

Posted on 29/05/2018 22:07

When I had a caravan with an Ultrastore I sometimes had problems with getting the water to heat after the system had been drained. I found draining it again and refilling sometimes made a difference. There was obviously an air block somewhere that was preventing full water heating to work. It would be a quick and easy thing to try just on the off chance.

David

commeyras replied on 30/05/2018 12:53

Posted on 30/05/2018 12:53

You will have a mains  water heater switch somewhere!  My water heater is under a front bed and the switch on the front edge of the bed  near the heater.  If you cannot find it just trace the cable from the heater to a switch!  The switch may have a light to indicate when it is on.  There is no  gas or electric selection switch,  just gas control or mains on/off switch ; you can use both  sources at the same time! Re gas assume you have taken the external exhaust cover off, it will be on the outside of the caravan abutting the heater.  You can hear if the water is heating up by gas.  Make sure that the water heater is full of water - connect to aquaroll, ensure drain plug by the heater is closed, open a hot tap and turn on pump close tap when water is running freely though tap, it may spurt out so be careful.  Does not sound like a fuse but check them or it may be a lose connection somewhere - good luck.  Millie's link is excellent.  If you can't solve it get a mobile service engineer to look at it, sure they will sort it in a few minutes.  Can't have the children thinking they can get away without washingwink

landroverland replied on 30/05/2018 13:51

Posted on 30/05/2018 13:51

Fabulous thank you all! David we have drained it and filled it a couple of times but as you say worth another try. Milo - great link I will print out and add to paperwork as handy with the diagrams. Comeyras thanks and yep external cover off - you are right the children don't need any excuse so we'll have another bash this evening! Not off on next adventure for a couple of weeks so time to work it out.

L

lancashirelou replied on 30/05/2018 19:55

Posted on 30/05/2018 19:55

I've owned my van for about 10 years and I still manage to get the hot water heating process wrong on at least one trip of the year!

I always "think" that I've filled the hot water tank and convince myself that I have by letting a bit of water run from the tap turned to the hot position.  I later find that I didn't run the tap for long enough to fill the tank and so the electric function on the Truma won't operate as it knows there is no water to heat!

I have a Eldis Crusader 2005 and all the controls for heating and hot water are mostly on the same panel on the same wall - with the exception of the Truma Ultrastore - electric hot water!  The switch for that is under the seat where the tank is stored.  You must also make sure that you leave the gas operation turned off on your panel.  My electric switch has a red light on it which tells me if the fuse has gone!  It also glows annoyingly to remind me I need to switch the Ultrastore off when I don't need hot water.  I find that it only take about 10/15 minutes to heat up.

scoobs308 replied on 03/06/2018 08:40

Posted on 03/06/2018 08:40

The control for our Ultrastore water heater is on a control panel near the battery charger switch.There is also control for heating on mains hook-up, and the 240v fuses. All these are hiding in a tall slim door where the bunk curtain lives along with the storage for the tables. Hope you figure it out.

commeyras replied on 03/06/2018 12:10

Posted on 03/06/2018 12:10

Away tomorrow so have brought caravan out of store.  My Trauma water heating controls are as I described them (luckily) and my temp control for the gas, turns freely; the outer ring turns it on/off and has a green light indicating working:  the inner, black part, is the temp control.  There is no temp control for the electric side just an on/off switch.  My instructions say that it is quite ok to run off both sources at the same time to heat water more quickly - as do the instructions on Milo's link!.  As I mentioned earlier, if I was in your shoes I would get a mobile engineer to have a look at it - unless you bought from a dealer then back to him to fix!  Must keep the children clean wink

wallacebob replied on 18/06/2018 19:24

Posted on 18/06/2018 19:24

Don't assume it has electric! My last old UK van had gas only water and space heater, as does my current German van.

Find heater, under seat, and check it has a thick electric cable coming out. If not: Gas Only. I agree with making sure water has bed through and filled unit fully. But on gas it should be good and hot.

If it does have cable, follow this to the switch or fuse. 

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook