Towing Covers

Steve P replied on 21/07/2019 09:16

Posted on 21/07/2019 09:16

I currently store the Caravan in the garden, last year and this year I am finding that the interior is getting very hot as the front of the van is south facing.  I have been thinking about fitting a towing cover.

Questions

1.       If I leave a towing cover on whilst the caravan is parked in direct sun will it keep the inside cooler.

2.       If the cover is fitted on a hot day will it damage the front windows.  I know that you should not keep the blinds down for long periods in direct sun, as this can damage the windows, is it the same when a cover is fitted.

3.       Has anybody had any problems with covers fitted for long periods on a hot day.

4.       Has any body read all the warnings and cautions with a towing cover, is there any statement on keeping them fitted for long periods of time in direct sun.

5.       Aby other advice or recommendations would be much appreciated.

RAR replied on 21/07/2019 12:11

Posted on 21/07/2019 12:11

I left the towing cover on during the last very hot spell and the rubber running the length of the awning rail looks as though it has burnt. Having said that, the discolouration does seem to be fading.

derekcyril replied on 21/07/2019 15:38

Posted on 21/07/2019 15:38

Got a 1994 swift from new , 2000 started going abroad for for years left caravan ( covered south facing garden } On second caravan cover [BREATHABLE } caravan still great we use it all the time . they used to advise putting clingfilm on windows to save scratching , reacted against plastic windows !  Always clean caravan first then fit cover , Derek

paul56 replied on 21/07/2019 18:24

Posted on 21/07/2019 18:24

Can't help re cover but In over 3 decades of owning a caravan and storing on farms etc never had problem with the heat/sunshine. In storage we do draw the curtains across to try to stop fading of upholstery etc. We never leave the blinds down. 

In winter a full cover goes on and the van goes up on axle stands.

Merve replied on 21/07/2019 21:46

Posted on 21/07/2019 21:46

We never leave the caravan without blocking out the windows so the caravan is dark inside. This will protect the interior furnishings from damage by the sun. It’s the sun and ultra violet rays that do the most damage. We produced cardboard inserts for all the windows as leaving your blinds down damages them- particularly the spring loaded ones. With this method, your caravan interior will get warm, but will come to no harm. We used a full cover some years ago in an attempt to protect the van from UV and the heat became so intense under the cover that it melted the glue holding reflectors in position so beware.

ocsid replied on 22/07/2019 07:06

Posted on 22/07/2019 07:06

We have the same issue as though the van lives in a car port the front is open and directly facing south, so I asked one of the major UK cover makers about using their front cover in that role.

The answer was an emphatic no, it is not suitable being only made as a travel cover, for what I needed they would only recommend a full cover. [Physically not a doable task in our case]

That was  probably over ten years back so I have not retained the email or remembered the specific issues. However, these are likely to include the open top edge can't stop weather blown debris working in between the cover and van. Followed, then by the fretting on windy days of both the windows and panel finishes from the more aggressive grit particles as these become embedded like a lap in the fabric surface.

I made a snug fitting "blank" I fit internally into the big panoramic front window if leaving the van for extended periods in the car port. I made this of  a 3mm thick white faced of what I would call "hardboard", from that major "-&-" DIY store. The van is now eleven and a bit years old, the interior is immaculate the front paint work and ABS locker are certainly showing some aging.

In hindsight, I could have made two 35 mm-ish holes along both the bottom and top edges of my blanking board to facilitate better ventilation so help avoid temperature build up on the window, but not doing so has had no impact on our window.

Oneputt replied on 22/07/2019 07:26

Posted on 22/07/2019 07:26

The only time we leave our cover on is if it is soaking wet when we get home then the max is a couple of days.  I guess the the answer is in the name, travel cover

PeteandBarb replied on 23/07/2019 22:16

Posted on 23/07/2019 22:16

Hi  We have been thinking of getting  a  Caravan cover  for our Swift Ace Globetrotter  The only problem is we have a Solar Pannel on the Roof which would  be covered and put out of action  also we have a  Multidirectional T V /Radio antenie   which would be covered. Also  as I have seen on Posts here I agree the Inside of Caravan could  get very Hot

However We would probably cover the Caravan during Winter months. As  during  Spring Summer and Autum we  like to get away when we can  so  uncovering and  re covering Caravan so often would be  annoying.

We  plan to get a cover that protects the front of  the Caravan while it's on tow. We are aware that the Front Marker lights must not be covered

Regarding  Keeping Caravan Cool in Summer Heat waves. 

We are  lucky. Our Caravan is  parked on our drive with  the front of the Caravan Facing  North and facing  our Garage.  

We have Window blinds that you have to raise. We keep all  the  Blinds up but leave a small gap of  1/2 to 3/4 inch at the top to stop excessive heat build up causing problems with the Acrylic windows. We do likewise with the Skylights. This  also helps to prevent the Sun fading the Upholstery etc  

(We  also do this on site if we are out for the day)

During Hot weather  we also open the Skylights to  stop the inside getting to hot

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook