Towing Course - a glowing report

Rosie Rabbit replied on 03/08/2017 16:12

Posted on 03/08/2017 16:12

I attended the practical caravan towing course near Hickstead near the end of July.

I can't remember attending a course that was so informative, practical and such a load of fun. I actually couldn't wait to get there on the Sunday morning.

There were 5 of us newbies and Keith was the instructor. He was able to answer every question we put to him except the question from Mark as to which mortgage he should go for! I never in a million years thought anyone could get me to reverse a caravan without taking life, but Keith got us reversing in from the left and right. I had a pair of cheap tow mirrors and he swapped them over to Milenco mirrors and what a difference that made when reversing in a straight line. So I went out and got a pair after the course.

It was also little things like when you unhitch to lower the jockey wheel on to your foot which gives you a bit more levelling room and looking out for that pivot point when reversing in from the right.

Keith showed us pics of some of the campsites he's been to and has really inspired me to travel and not be scared. Being behind an equestrian centre it was slightly surreal to see a horse walking past the window when you are learning about noseweights!

All in all it was worth every single penny and I met some lovely fellow newbies in person.

I hope I come across them again when we are all 'expert towers'.

Linda x

Bakers2 replied on 03/08/2017 17:35

Posted on 03/08/2017 17:35

I have no doubt that the club would offer a decent training session and yours sounds great. Did you have to take your own caravan or just your own car?

Bakers2 replied on 03/08/2017 20:39

Posted on 03/08/2017 20:39

Just checked motorhomers have to use their own vehicle. 

Did you use your own car or one supplied?

Just wondering why the difference.

To do the motorhome course in my case would involve a 2.5 hour drive to nearest offer. Almost defeats the object!

eurortraveller replied on 03/08/2017 21:09

Posted on 03/08/2017 21:09

If I wanted a towing course I would pay for individual one to one local professional tuition - better than standing around watching the rest of the group trying to reverse, or looking at the instructor's holiday photos.

dmiller555 replied on 04/08/2017 08:33

Posted on 03/08/2017 21:09 by eurortraveller

If I wanted a towing course I would pay for individual one to one local professional tuition - better than standing around watching the rest of the group trying to reverse, or looking at the instructor's holiday photos.

Posted on 04/08/2017 08:33

That would be your choice. I attended the CMC towing course and thought it excellent value and I agree with the OP comments. Watching others make the same mistakes as you are making and hearing the instructions on how to correct mistakes is a good part of learning.

replied on 04/08/2017 09:58

Posted on 04/08/2017 09:58

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

Pippah45 replied on 04/08/2017 15:28

Posted on 04/08/2017 15:28

I knew there was something I could learn from a course!  Well done Rosie!   Once I understood what you said about lowering the jockey wheel onto your foot, it sounded painful!  I realised that's what I need to  do at home to get the van level!  Did he tell you what to do if the van is facing downhill though?  It's fairly easy to completely unwind the jockey wheel which is a bit tiresome getting it back together again!  smile

Rosie Rabbit replied on 04/08/2017 16:47

Posted on 04/08/2017 15:28 by Pippah45

I knew there was something I could learn from a course!  Well done Rosie!   Once I understood what you said about lowering the jockey wheel onto your foot, it sounded painful!  I realised that's what I need to  do at home to get the van level!  Did he tell you what to do if the van is facing downhill though?  It's fairly easy to completely unwind the jockey wheel which is a bit tiresome getting it back together again!  smile

Posted on 04/08/2017 16:47

Pippah45 I don't remember a downhill tip, but I may not have been paying attention or looking at a horse!

It was useful watching others reverse as you could get a better understanding of the pivoting wheel bit (that fascinated me).

If I had booked a one to one course with a local instructor (and no dedicated training area) it would have cost me £500 as he thought I needed approx 10 hours of tuition at £50 an hour. If I had the money I may have considered it as he has a very good reputation, but I do learn better in a group and I discovered the joys of a reversing camera as one of my classmates had one fitted to his car smile

Gotta get one of those!

trellis replied on 04/08/2017 18:00

Posted on 04/08/2017 18:00

Rosie , I love reading your various posts on CT , they are so full of fun and enthusiasm. Please don't ever lose that.😁😁

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook