Stopovers with a caravan

johnstrivens replied on 24/03/2018 07:55

Posted on 24/03/2018 07:55

This may sound so obvious to some experienced members but my wife and I have been touring in a motorhome for a number of years and have always been able to break longer journeys in lay-bys or large carparks. We have now bought a caravan and have planned our first couple of trips to be short and served mainly by motorway. However, when we travel to Wales and Scotland later this year we will need to break journeys on A roads. Have members any advice about using lay boys with a caravan and are there any recommended stop overs on routes like the A9 north of Perth or the A5 to North Wales? Any recommendations would be gratefully received.

indoors replied on 24/03/2018 08:45

Posted on 24/03/2018 08:45

If by " Stopover " you mean overnight John, the obvious answer is no it is very much frowned upon, unless you are traveling in convoy, then rules don't apply !!!

Happy caravanning.

paul56 replied on 24/03/2018 09:07

Posted on 24/03/2018 09:07

We too would always suggest finding a camp site and would never consider an overnight in any undesignated area. Just takes a bit of planning. Never owned a motorhome but would still feel very uncomfortable about parking overnight in a lay-bye. 

ask66 replied on 24/03/2018 09:18

Posted on 24/03/2018 09:18

Hi johnstrivens, many laybys on trunk routes have signs prohibiting overnight stays.  But even if they didn't, I personally wouldn't feel safe doing it. My suggestion would be to find a nearby CL.  It's surprising what you can find just off the main roads - you might even decide to make it part of the holiday and spend more than one night there!  Whatever you decide - happy caravanning.

johnstrivens replied on 24/03/2018 09:22

Posted on 24/03/2018 09:22

Thanks for the interest so far; I didn't mean overnight stops, just comfort breaks in a day's jouney.

DavidKlyne replied on 24/03/2018 09:33

Posted on 24/03/2018 09:33

John

You might find Google Earth useful in finding lay-bys on your route. If you have a rough idea when the stops would occur en route you could narrow down your search. Obviously no guarantee that there will be space available but at least you would have an idea of the possibilities.

David

SteveL replied on 24/03/2018 09:42

Posted on 24/03/2018 09:42

Although there are lay-bys on the A9 some are just for emergencies, or they are often full of HGV's. The A9 now by passes all of the villages / small towns and these are the services. This is fine solo, not so good when you are over 12 metres long. Depending on the time of year we have occasionally found somewhere to stop, but more often than not regretted trying.

One place I can recommend, that is OK with a van, is the Ralia eco friendly Internet cafe near Newtonmore. There is direct access from the A9 and if you miss the entrance, you can also access it from what is the exit, as this is two way.

Link to Ralia site

Cornersteady replied on 24/03/2018 14:33

Posted on 24/03/2018 14:33

We have certainly stopped in laybys before while towing for a change of driver, snacks, drinks, comfort breaks... The difficulty on some is finding enough space for car&caravan and this will depend on the road you take, but if you can there is no reason why not.

Tinwheeler replied on 24/03/2018 14:45

Posted on 24/03/2018 14:45

I think you just have to keep your eyes open for a suitable lay-by, JS, and grab the first one you can get in.

No amount of advance planning will guarantee a lay-by has space when you get there and it’s not as easy as with a MH. However, everyone else manages and you'll be OK. 

KjellNN replied on 24/03/2018 15:41

Posted on 24/03/2018 15:41

My advice would be not to leave looking till the last minute, and avoid the 1pm lunch.

If you have had a reasonably early start, then start looking around 11.30.

Same applies on motorways, the number of caravan spaces is often quite limited.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook