Small caravan - Making the right choice

Wilmslow replied on 03/11/2017 09:51

Posted on 03/11/2017 09:51

Hello,

I am new to caravanning.

My requirements are a small caravan for fitting on the driveway, and also wanting to keep my current car. I have a 170HP Alfa, so while powerful it is a lightweight car.

I have dome some researching and the following models seem to suit:

Freedom Microlite

Go-Pod

Teardrop Caravan

Elddis Explore

Teardrop is a cracking price - around £5K. Microlite has deals for around £8K. However Go-Pod seem rather fixed about their £10K price-tag (which is about to go up to £11K).

My main worry is a van that will tow well - I plan to take it around France / Europe.

I am leaning towards the Go-Pod on grounds of not being too small and looking a lot more towable than the other options.

Firstly, are there any other caravans I should be considering?

Secondly, if anyone has any ideas about getting the besty price, either in the UK or ordering and collecting from Europe, I would be very interested.

Regards,

Wilmslow.

PATMAU replied on 08/11/2017 09:53

Posted on 08/11/2017 09:53

Have a look at the Lunar Ariva.  Standard size caravan height wise, but narrow at 2.05m.  We have one because of the width restriction at home.  Internal spec is on a par with a larger caravan.  Tows well too.

alanannej replied on 08/11/2017 10:03

Posted on 08/11/2017 10:03

I think most vans nowadays tow well providing the weights are right. when we bought first - 1970s - we'd hired for our main holiday on 3 occasions & 3 different vans and knew by then which layout/weight we wanted. (Such matters weren't as advanced then as today - 1ft van = 100cc engine was the rule of thumb!)Would always recommend 'try before you buy' as some things - caravans included, can prove to be an expensive mistake. Nowadays, you can also hire a motorhome - they offer a different style of holidaymaking - wouldn't suit us, but that's just us and what we prefer. The Club can check for you which weight van is best suited to your car. Happy caravanning in the future!

C Williams replied on 08/11/2017 11:27

Posted on 08/11/2017 11:27

Hi Wilmslow.

we started off caravanning with a little Eldiss Explore 302. They stopped making them in 2013, but you'd get a secondhand one for around £8000, I think. The l-shaped lounge and huge front window gives great feeling of space. As you're solo (I see from another thread), then you wouldn't need to make up the bed every night, as the longer couch will sleep a six-foot tall person. A proper little wet-room gives you an acceptable shower. We towed with a Golf, and it was a breeze. The key things here are kerbweight and nose weight. Check those for your car before you consider a purchase. The Club do give great advice to members on matching. Might be worth investing in Membership (some good savings on M6 toll and ferry crossings could recoup cost). We toured Scotland, and stayed in it for 6 weeks at a time, plus border collie, so can testify to its suitability. Also did France. It was a great little van. Good luck and lots of fun.

replied on 08/11/2017 14:24

Posted on 08/11/2017 14:24

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

brue replied on 08/11/2017 14:28

Posted on 08/11/2017 14:28

Have you looked st Eriba vans, they are sturdy and well designed and hold their value well. A good secondhand Eriba is worth considering. smile

cyberyacht replied on 08/11/2017 16:09

Posted on 08/11/2017 16:09

"Such matters weren't as advanced then as today - 1ft van = 100cc engine was the rule of thumb!"

Not to be relied upon as today I was looking in the Ford showroom in Marlow that had a Model A Ford. 1700cc = 8BHP. I would suggest that in the power output stakes you want to think in the range of 100BHP per 1000Kg MPTLM. Heavier van= more powerful engine for a comfortable tow.

Boff replied on 08/11/2017 16:50

Posted on 08/11/2017 16:50

I think you need to consider when, where and how you are going to use the van.  If it is the summer, in France, then all you need basically is somewhere to sleep.  If you want to use it all year round in the uk then I would suggest that a more substantial caravan would make sense.  An Eriba and Arriva might well fit the bill  

What you need to do is to make sure that how you want to use it dictates the caravan you buy.  Rather than the caravan you have bought dictating how (and where) you use it. 

Tigi replied on 08/11/2017 19:24

Posted on 08/11/2017 19:24

Again have a look at the Ariva a lot of the atributes of a large van in a compact lightweight size, the current model won an award at the recent NEC Show as such.

MaggieR replied on 08/11/2017 21:33

Posted on 08/11/2017 21:33

Have a look at Caravalair. We have the smallest model and it's wonderful! Marquis dealerships have them.

Wherenext replied on 08/11/2017 21:53

Posted on 08/11/2017 21:53

Hi, we've toured around Europe for last 6 years in an Ariva 380/2. It was towed with a 1.6 Kia without any difficulty. Has a 4 ring job and a full cooker and microwave. Total laden weight was 1000 kgs. Doddle. Even has a shower. Would recommend it. 

We've just changed vans but may live to regret it!

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook