Slippy roads in heat

tracyp replied on 06/05/2018 21:08

Posted on 06/05/2018 21:08

we have been away to Rowntree for the weekend, and only live 19 miles away so a short trip today 4o minuets to be precise. on leaving the motor way at going on to the euro port roundabout in Castleford I felt the caravan slide alittle. tyres were checked before  setting of and air pressure was correct, I was only in 2nd gear and am very cautious and concentrate when maniovering , could this be due to heat of the tarmac and the tyres, checked van when got back to storage and every thing was fine, thank you in advance  

puredroprob replied on 07/05/2018 07:54

Posted on 07/05/2018 07:54

I know the roundabout you're talking about and in my opinion it is more likely to be diesel on the road.

Simon100 replied on 07/05/2018 19:46

Posted on 07/05/2018 19:46

Hot tarmac is likely to become more sticky rather than less. Your tyres will also become more grippy with heat as well. Most likely explanation is as above.

Merve replied on 08/05/2018 18:09

Posted on 08/05/2018 18:09

I had a similar experience coming back from Cromer. It was at Peterborough and there was absolutely no reason for the van to slide sideways and for me to have to correct it but we were in roadworks and I am sure that it was down to diesel on the road surface. I was just glad I wasn’t travelling at speed. Just goes to show you that you cannot relax your concentration for a millisecond!! 

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook