Services on A1 south

Lawrence Crouch replied on 06/07/2021 20:15

Posted on 06/07/2021 20:15

I’m fairly new to caravanning. I’m reasonably comfortable towing but I worry about stops and not being able to turn the van round in a car park. Next week we are going down A1 from Yorkshire to Suffolk. Does anyone know of a service station with guaranteed caravan stops that avoid having to reverse?

Would really appreciate any advice - and yes I know I need to learn how to reverse!

Larry 

Cornersteady replied on 06/07/2021 20:28

Posted on 06/07/2021 20:28

Hello, maybe a starting point in and the route from Yorkshire would be helpful in trying to help?

I can recommend Wetherby Services but that might be too close?

DavidKlyne replied on 06/07/2021 20:37

Posted on 06/07/2021 20:37

Another vote for Wetherby Services. The caravan parking is often supervised at weekends and as a motorhomer I have twice been directed to the nearby lorry park in order that the places are saved for caravans. No objection to that on my part as the lorry park is a bit nearer the coffee!!! Shame that more service areas don't supervise there parking.

David

KjellNN replied on 06/07/2021 21:09

Posted on 06/07/2021 21:09

Depends on what you want to do?  If just to refuel, pretty much any decent forecourt will be suitable.

If a lunch  or comfort stop, we always use our own facilities and either a decent lay by, or in a service area we  go with the HGVs unless proper caravan suitable parking is signed.

just had a poor experience at Baldock services on A1M, where the signed caravan spaces were about 2m longer than our van, and only about as wide as the van!

If stopping for lunch, an early stop just before midday is more likely to guarantee a space.  12.30-2.00 is always busy.

EmilysDad replied on 06/07/2021 21:25

Posted on 06/07/2021 21:09 by KjellNN

Depends on what you want to do?  If just to refuel, pretty much any decent forecourt will be suitable.

If a lunch  or comfort stop, we always use our own facilities and either a decent lay by, or in a service area we  go with the HGVs unless proper caravan suitable parking is signed.

just had a poor experience at Baldock services on A1M, where the signed caravan spaces were about 2m longer than our van, and only about as wide as the van!

If stopping for lunch, an early stop just before midday is more likely to guarantee a space.  12.30-2.00 is always busy.

Posted on 06/07/2021 21:25

.... where the signed caravan spaces were about 2m longer than our van, and only about as wide as the van!

I've come across spaces like that somewhere south on the M5, fortunately they were end on to equally small caravan spaces so could use 2 of them. Obviously those with the buckets of white lines are clueless to the size of a car & caravan.

KjellNN replied on 06/07/2021 21:38

Posted on 06/07/2021 21:38

Exactly our thoughts too!    I took some photos and just might get around to e mailing them with my thoughts.

We decided to stay, so unhitched and put the van right forward in one space and the car right back in the next, so we could actually open the caravan door.

Wherenext replied on 06/07/2021 21:50

Posted on 06/07/2021 21:50

I think the services at Grantham might be fine but I've only driven past them a couple of times and had a quick look. They have designated caravan spaces so check on Google Satellite.

richardandros replied on 07/07/2021 07:32

Posted on 07/07/2021 07:32

I think I've just been 'cancelled'!  I put a reply on here about an hour ago and it's disappeared - completely!

My suggestion was that if the OP is nervous about backing into a parking space in HGV areas - go in nose-first and reverse out with someone checking behind you.  Much easier.

Let's see if this comment gets cancelled againundecided

KjellNN replied on 07/07/2021 08:15

Posted on 07/07/2021 08:15

I usually find that I can get a space where I can just drive through, or sometimes one along a verge, away from the crowd of lorries.

My tip is not to wait till the stop becomes urgent, in case you need to drive on to the next service area.

heddlo replied on 07/07/2021 08:49

Posted on 07/07/2021 08:49

Another vote for Wetherby but if you are coming from Yorkshire that’s probably too close.  Blyth is good, park with HGV’s but can be busy.  M18 (Doncaster North) is good and has specific caravan spaces, go through the HGV bit and they are near the service block, you do nose in and reverse out.  Grantham is a horrible services but as somewhere to stop it’s fine, never seen any dedicated caravan places,  we have always gone with the HGV’s.  Avoid Peterborough at all costs - horrible, cramped car park with tiny “caravan”(??) spaces, full of white van man.  I would suggest finding a lay-by (if not full of lorries) and stop using your own facilities, we have been doing this since Covid.  We have occasionally been into services but only for a quick take away coffee.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook