Security Stop at Service Areas

Jomo60 replied on 23/07/2017 22:48

Posted on 23/07/2017 22:48

Hi, 

New to this caravan lark, can anybody offer advice on how to secure my Caravan to car while on a rest break at service stations. It only takes 2 mins to steal a van, so how do I ensure nobody steals while we are having some food

SteveL replied on 23/07/2017 23:02

Posted on 23/07/2017 23:02

You could put a hitch lock on, which would make it more difficult to remove from your vehicle, and or, put on the wheel lock. Personally we do not both leave the caravan at the same time. Clearly not possible if you are alone.

replied on 24/07/2017 07:18

Posted on 24/07/2017 07:18

Personally if on my own I would use the facilities in the caravan. If with partner one stays with the outfit. The only reason for us to stop would be to have a stretch and a pee.

eurortraveller replied on 24/07/2017 11:00

Posted on 24/07/2017 11:00

We regularly leave the caravan and go into UK service areas, we leave it at Cribbs Causeway Bristol mall and go shopping at M&S, we leave it all over France and go to a restaurant for lunch and tour hypermarkets for hours.

My present Saga insurance just asks for a hitchlock and that's all I have, my previous insurance with  this Club was happy for eight hours with no locks at all.

Do some people worry more than I do? 

Tinwheeler replied on 24/07/2017 11:13

Posted on 24/07/2017 11:13

We have never left car & caravan or MH unattended in a service area. If it's necessary to leave the unit, we do so one at a time but mostly we never set foot on the tarmac these days as all we need is on board.

young thomas replied on 24/07/2017 11:41

Posted on 24/07/2017 11:00 by eurortraveller

We regularly leave the caravan and go into UK service areas, we leave it at Cribbs Causeway Bristol mall and go shopping at M&S, we leave it all over France and go to a restaurant for lunch and tour hypermarkets for hours.

My present Saga insurance just asks for a hitchlock and that's all I have, my previous insurance with  this Club was happy for eight hours with no locks at all.

Do some people worry more than I do? 

Posted on 24/07/2017 11:41

agreed,  ET, im sure they do.

though i realise its a bit different for a MHer to a caravanner, but we stop in towns (uk and mainland europe) to visit amenities, stop at services and have a wander, park overnight in aires (and the odd supemarket carpark), pubs etc.

if one of us had to stay with the van every time we stopped somewhere the van would become a tie rather than the means to freedom that it is.

two hours exploring a town isnt much fun on your own nor is sitting in the van waiting for OH to return from 'her turn'undecided 

stopping 'along the way' where something (pretty village, shopping centre, historic NT/EH site, even a service station) catches our attention is part of how we tour so would be severely compromised if we had to constantly share 'guard duty'.

we just couldnt do the on spec diversions we do if we were always concerned about the safety of the van.

Tinwheeler replied on 24/07/2017 12:34

Posted on 24/07/2017 11:41 by young thomas

agreed,  ET, im sure they do.

though i realise its a bit different for a MHer to a caravanner, but we stop in towns (uk and mainland europe) to visit amenities, stop at services and have a wander, park overnight in aires (and the odd supemarket carpark), pubs etc.

if one of us had to stay with the van every time we stopped somewhere the van would become a tie rather than the means to freedom that it is.

two hours exploring a town isnt much fun on your own nor is sitting in the van waiting for OH to return from 'her turn'undecided 

stopping 'along the way' where something (pretty village, shopping centre, historic NT/EH site, even a service station) catches our attention is part of how we tour so would be severely compromised if we had to constantly share 'guard duty'.

we just couldnt do the on spec diversions we do if we were always concerned about the safety of the van.

Posted on 24/07/2017 12:34

It's service areas I was talking about, BB, as per the OP's enquiry. The M/way service areas are notorious for cvans being removed from the towing vehicles by ne'er-do-wells.

I wasn't talking about parking elsewhere and leaving the van. 🙄

young thomas replied on 24/07/2017 12:56

Posted on 24/07/2017 12:56

yes, thanks, TWundecided

youll note, i even mentioned service stations in my post.

the point was that we dont have a different attitude to parking up irrespective of where we are.

i appreciate your point about the possibility of caravan theft on services (though ive not read of any) or from anywhere else parked up for that matter, but for a MHer such as yourself to leave the van in shifts seems a little over cautious, no?

what would you do in a car?

surely your van has the same security (alarm, immobiliser) as your car and to break a car window must be as easy as doing it on a MH?

if a thief wanted something from my van and were determined, i dont think my OH would scare them away while i was having a pee...

Tinwheeler replied on 24/07/2017 13:15

Posted on 24/07/2017 13:15

I think we've got the message that you're less aware and/or less cautious in service areas than some of us who have been doing this for decades, BB.

young thomas replied on 24/07/2017 13:31

Posted on 24/07/2017 13:15 by Tinwheeler

I think we've got the message that you're less aware and/or less cautious in service areas than some of us who have been doing this for decades, BB.

Posted on 24/07/2017 13:31

whatever that means....

surely my 10 years of real recent experience is more relevant than what went on 'decades' ago.....?

either way, a personal choice, and if the OP thinks its a risk (and i guess those with decades of experience will have convinced him of this) then he must take the appropriate measures.smile

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook