Scottish North Coast 500, novice needing advice!

Daviesontour replied on 16/01/2016 13:19

Posted on 16/01/2016 13:19

After many years of thinking about it (mainly when lying on hard ground in a tent) we have bought out first motorhome. 

Apart from a few shortish trips to get the hang of things we intend to head to Scotland and drive the North Coast 500.  I am sure the roads must have always been there but, as promoted, it looks like a great trip.  If anyone has driven the West Coast, Islands etc I would welcome your thoughts and advice. 

Should we book sites ahead or is it easy enough to find decent stopovers - or maybe combine both?  Also, I would welcome any suggestions about the 'must go to' places that we should aim for!

thanks for your help!

Pippah45 replied on 16/01/2016 14:34

Posted on 16/01/2016 14:34

It sounds a great idea!  I have travelled most of that route with a caravan.  One of my favourite places is the other club's site at Rosemarkie - which can get quite busy - depends on the time of year - but you can almost guarantee seeing the dolphins play if you stay a few days.  I haven't found difficulty with other site availability - and much prefer to travel as and when I please - moving on when I have seen all I want to see - or when the weather dictates.  I wouldn't want to miss a few days on the Orkneys - the historic sites there are stunning with many standing stones not to mention Scara Bray etc.  A day trip wouldn't even scratch the surface.  The Outer Hebrides are wonderful too - and I will return one day when I have visited all the other islands I want to see!  I hope you get more help with a MH on the route but have a wonderful time. 

Romaroamer replied on 17/01/2016 18:01

Posted on 17/01/2016 18:01

I first did this trip two years ago in May and will be doing a similar route this year (up the east coast, along the top and down the west coast). As a solo traveller and a wimp I like to prebook my sites so that family know my itinerary. Two years ago a number of the CC sites - Brora, Dunnet Bay and Bunree were fully booked / almost fully booked. I also recommend Rosemarkie. The commercial site at Durness has amazing views but the facilities although perfectly adequate are a little tired. You don't mention what time of year you are intending to travel but later in the summer beware of the midges. I did a day trip to the Orkneys from John O Groats which covered all of the main tourist attractions and suited my tight timetable and was well worth the expense. The cable car trip up Ben Nevis was also very good. Make sure that you take a decent camera!!! Pack clothes for every possible weather condition - I froze at John O Groats and paddled in sunshine at Dunnet Bay on the following day! I am sure that whichever route you take you will have a wonderful trip.

Pippah45 replied on 17/01/2016 20:52

Posted on 17/01/2016 20:52

Yes I got caught out in the Shetlands - where the tourist stuff said "Summer Clothes" for June - er nooooo I got really cold - so lots of layers is a great idea! 

Biggarmac replied on 18/01/2016 09:17

Posted on 18/01/2016 09:17

Can recommend the site at Clachtoll Beach, north of Lochinvar.  Just don't go in to the peninsula by the Northern route. Very unsuitable for larger vehicles. Other roads are fine, if slow, because of being single track with passing places for some of their length.  If you are not used to that type of road make sure you allow faster following vehicles to pass easily. 

On the East coast Wick caravan site is a gentle stroll from the town which has an interesting museum  about the fishing industry.

Daviesontour replied on 30/01/2016 12:38

Posted on 30/01/2016 12:38

Thanks for all your advice!  we ar planning to go mid may for 3 or 4 weeks so hope to avoid midge open season.  Planning on getting a Snooper Ventura 9020 with all the camp site and stop over info built in...hope this is a reasonable choice!

hope to see you on the road somewhere

Nick

bobg2674 replied on 31/01/2016 20:29

Posted on 31/01/2016 20:29

We live near Dumfries and did a tour with our motorhome. We went acress to the Isle of Skye by ferry, stayed one night at a site, can't remember its name, and then left Skye over the bridge. Then we went to Ullapool and on round the coast to John O'groats. From there we went down the east coast and back home. Enjoyed every bit of it and only used the one site for one night, the rest was wild camping!

In Scotland wild camping is quite acceptable and there are some great places to stop overnight. Avoid anywhere it says 'no overnight camping' though these are few. We've even seen caravans all set up with awnings etc in laybye's and no-one seems to bother them. Just remember one or two nights and then move on is the best rule. Avoid the midgy season [usually July/August] as the Scottish midges are quite fierce!

Hope you have a great trip, we certainly did.

carol61love replied on 24/02/2016 08:45

Posted on 24/02/2016 08:45

Hi Davie, 

we plan on doing this in April this year in our Motorhome,we are doing it anti clockwise , many recommend doing it this way Think the most scenic parts are on the west coast. Will let you know how we go.

Carol

neilricho replied on 24/02/2016 12:04

Posted on 24/02/2016 12:04

Hi guys.

We hope to tour Scotland this April May and June.  We thought of a week here and then a week there so we cna base the caravan and get set-up etc.  We're going to go clockwise as I've been advised the midges are fiercer on the west coast.  I was thinking of staying on club sites and camping and caravan club sites but if anyone has a reccomendation please let me know.  Our van is 8 metres long and wondered if that would cause me any problems etc.  Pub sites are especially welcome if anyone knows good ones but we dont tow with a 4x4 and dont want to get stuck.  Can anyone reccomend a good map too please.  I don't trust my snooper sat nav its go me into trouble a few times with narrow roads etc.  thanks in anticipation. Neil

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook