Sat Nav

George and Dawn replied on 22/06/2020 20:41

Posted on 22/06/2020 20:41

Hi there, me and the wife have just joined up and just purchased our first caravan. It is 8ft wide. I am lead to believe there is particular sat nav systems available that will whilst guiding you avoid narrow roads. If this is correct can anyone please advise me of the best one. Many thanks in advance. And I am sure I will be asking loads of questions so i apologize  in advance for this lol

JVB66 replied on 22/06/2020 20:55

Posted on 22/06/2020 20:55

Welcome to the Club and CT

Both Tom Tom and Garmin have sat navs that will accept your outfit length and hieght ,,that can be of assistance that mostly  keep you awy from roads that are not suitable for caravans/motor caravans ,we have a garmin that is fairly accurate,

davetommo replied on 22/06/2020 21:06

Posted on 22/06/2020 20:55 by JVB66

Welcome to the Club and CT

Both Tom Tom and Garmin have sat navs that will accept your outfit length and hieght ,,that can be of assistance that mostly  keep you awy from roads that are not suitable for caravans/motor caravans ,we have a garmin that is fairly accurate,

Posted on 22/06/2020 21:06

Also road signs let you know if a road is narrow or there is a height restriction

Tinwheeler replied on 22/06/2020 21:14

Posted on 22/06/2020 21:14

Hi, G&D, welcome.

JVB has given you good info. Only you can decide if those sat navs are worth the price. We have the Garmin Avtex as it was supplied with our van. It works well but I’m not sure I would fork out for it otherwise.

no one replied on 22/06/2020 21:53

Posted on 22/06/2020 21:53

I have recently purchased an Aguri rv720 dvr

https://aguriworld.co.uk/product/caravan-rv720-dvr-deluxe-sat-nav/

I've not used it in anger yet, (for obvious reasons) it has 30,000 sites in its database,  it is also a dashcam and can act as an ipad type device to download apps etc ( I have added the CAMC app satellite alignment, van leveller and tv aerial alignment tool so far), if needed you can also connect a reversing camera to it. I guess you could play games and watch tv etc if you wanted to. free lifetime maps UK and Europe (including Russia!) and free traffic data, its made in the UK. They do a smaller version which might be more suitable for the tow car.

IMO compared to the other mainstream satnavs, a lot of bang for your buck 

Sorry forgot to mention you can input the vehicle and trailer/caravan dimensions including weight and axel weights to help avoid those tight spots.

DavidKlyne replied on 23/06/2020 11:45

Posted on 22/06/2020 21:53 by no one

I have recently purchased an Aguri rv720 dvr

https://aguriworld.co.uk/product/caravan-rv720-dvr-deluxe-sat-nav/

I've not used it in anger yet, (for obvious reasons) it has 30,000 sites in its database,  it is also a dashcam and can act as an ipad type device to download apps etc ( I have added the CAMC app satellite alignment, van leveller and tv aerial alignment tool so far), if needed you can also connect a reversing camera to it. I guess you could play games and watch tv etc if you wanted to. free lifetime maps UK and Europe (including Russia!) and free traffic data, its made in the UK. They do a smaller version which might be more suitable for the tow car.

IMO compared to the other mainstream satnavs, a lot of bang for your buck 

Sorry forgot to mention you can input the vehicle and trailer/caravan dimensions including weight and axel weights to help avoid those tight spots.

Posted on 23/06/2020 11:45

I would be interested to know how you get on with it. I assume this one also comes with a dash cam? I liked my old TomTom with Camper Maps on. It performed really well right across Europe. Trouble is now that it is more difficult to add POI's to the newer TomTom's. I know its a facility that many like but I am never convinced it is necessary to put outfit size into a sat nav. If the routes are designed for the use of the vehicle there shouldn't be a need.

David

peedee replied on 23/06/2020 12:04

Posted on 23/06/2020 12:04

I am never convinced it is necessary to put outfit size into a sat nav. If the routes are designed for the use of the vehicle there shouldn't be a need.

The variation in height and width especially the former make it necessary for some outfits. There are some awfully low bridges on some major roads especially on the continent. I think it sensible to use a sat nav designed for the vehicle, they are by no means perfect but they are better than one which majors only on a car.

I use a truck sat nav on a Android tablet, currently running Co-Pilot but I hesitate to recommend this App since they changed to a subscription service. I suppose one advantage is at least it is kept up to date and you can load your own POIs?

peedee

no one replied on 23/06/2020 15:26

Posted on 23/06/2020 15:26

Yes the Aguri is a dashcam which you can also use to take single photo's if you wish, it is an all round device, the feedback says the maps are accurate and sensible across Europe.

the 720 is a bit large to use in my Fiat Panda properly but if get the MH out for a day trip at some point I will type an update on how it fares.

Prescot46 replied on 23/06/2020 17:19

Posted on 23/06/2020 17:19

I have the Aguri 720 with the dashcam purchased in August 2018.  Aguri has an extensive database of UK and continental sites and attractions along with free map upgrades.  The unit is very very slow to use from switching on to programming a location.  More recently I have found that it takes the unit a considerable time to find satellites and without these there is no navigation.  I was attracted to Aguri because of the built-in dashcam.   However to get the best from the dashcam function the unit has to be positioned facing directly forward.  This means that when driving your are looking at the screen at an awkward angle.

Would I buy it again? Probably not.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook