Rest stops

ScreenNameBC542F9FA0 replied on 17/06/2018 09:44

Posted on 17/06/2018 09:44

Good everybody, Complete novice to caravanning been on two recent short trips, loved it so far. However our next trip is to Harlech ( Min Y Don Holiday park ) in July and need some guidance with rest stops. We live in Solihull so its going to be a 3 and 1/2 trip. I am thinking of stopping on the last services on the M54 and would like to know where I can make further stops en route? My route is A5,B4396,B4391,A494,A4212,A496.

Any suggestions would be most welcome or guide me to where I can get this information please.Thank you

commeyras replied on 17/06/2018 10:20

Posted on 17/06/2018 10:20

Hello PJK and welcome to our great hobby.  Don't know your route but I'm sure you will get a detailed reply soon.  However, there really is no need to over plan your shortish trip; just  let nature, stomach and traffic lead you to when you need to stop.  One of the joys of caravanning is the relaxed and free (ish) style of holiday it gives you. There will be plenty of places on your route where you can pull off for a break be they lay byes, cafes or service stations - we have never had a problem finding somewhere.  I know not relevant to you but those of us who do long continental trips tend tp do the 3 x 2 hour driving stints. 

lornalou1 replied on 17/06/2018 11:48

Posted on 17/06/2018 11:48

I would say that 1 stop half way would suffice as a comfort break for 10/15 mins then onward to destination. Enjoy.

dmiller555 replied on 17/06/2018 16:44

Posted on 17/06/2018 16:44

Having recently towed up the M54 and stopped at the service area I found the caravan parking restricted by the need to make a tight 90 deg turn into the bay, of which there are only 5. We were lucky to find one empty.

There were however plenty of laybys on the main Welsh roads and we had no difficulty in finding space for rest breaks.

I would caution against towing on “B” roads in Wales unless you know that they are suitable. We found several narrow “A” roads that needed passing places, so research may be needed. I find Google Earth with Street view good for that task.

Because of the often convoluted roads average speeds are a lot lower than in England. On the plus side we found the condition on Welsh roads to be much better than those in England with very few pot holes.

I recommend you allow plenty of time with plenty of stops and enjoy the journey as well as your holiday.

EmilysDad replied on 17/06/2018 21:41

Posted on 17/06/2018 21:41

I would caution against towing on “B” roads in Wales unless you know that they are suitable. We found several narrow “A” roads that needed passing places, so research may be needed. I find Google Earth with Street view good for that task.

You just need to look further up the road than usual & wait at a suitable point to allow the solo car to pass. We've just been to the Llyn peninsula, where many of the roads are narrow & my only research was to find the post code of the CL we were going to .... 7'6" wide caravan & 43' long in total. Never had a problem. If you can get a tractor & trailer, or a bus along these roads, you'll get a car & caravan along them too.

dmiller555 replied on 18/06/2018 07:43

Posted on 17/06/2018 21:41 by EmilysDad

You just need to look further up the road than usual & wait at a suitable point to allow the solo car to pass. We've just been to the Llyn peninsula, where many of the roads are narrow & my only research was to find the post code of the CL we were going to .... 7'6" wide caravan & 43' long in total. Never had a problem. If you can get a tractor & trailer, or a bus along these roads, you'll get a car & caravan along them too.

Posted on 18/06/2018 07:43

I was addressing my reply to a novice caravaner as the OP rather than an experienced tower such as yourself.

The interest arises when one meets the vehicles you refer to on one of the not infrequent blind bends where there is insufficient room to pass and reversing is called for. Not neccessarily an impossible situation as I can confirm but not the best for a novice on their first long trip.

EmilysDad replied on 18/06/2018 08:19

Posted on 18/06/2018 07:43 by dmiller555

I was addressing my reply to a novice caravaner as the OP rather than an experienced tower such as yourself.

The interest arises when one meets the vehicles you refer to on one of the not infrequent blind bends where there is insufficient room to pass and reversing is called for. Not neccessarily an impossible situation as I can confirm but not the best for a novice on their first long trip.

Posted on 18/06/2018 08:19

I know you were. But towing or driving a large vehicle down a narrow road in Wales or the Yorkshire Dales etc just takes care,  and where possible,  prevent the need to reverse in the first place. If you know where the passing places are in advance are you going to wait in them ..... just in case someone is coming the other way.

Oneputt replied on 18/06/2018 09:29

Posted on 18/06/2018 09:29

We never plan the minutiae when travelling, get on the road, stop when the feeling takes, to change drivers, comfort breaks etc.. Don't like one lay-by go on till the next one.  You just can't plan when you are going to meet hazards so you have to deal with them as and when they arise.

EmilysDad replied on 18/06/2018 11:00

Posted on 18/06/2018 09:29 by Oneputt

We never plan the minutiae when travelling, get on the road, stop when the feeling takes, to change drivers, comfort breaks etc.. Don't like one lay-by go on till the next one.  You just can't plan when you are going to meet hazards so you have to deal with them as and when they arise.

Posted on 18/06/2018 11:00

Exactly that wink

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook