Replacing old cycle rack for E-bike carrier

ManxiesinaMotorhome replied on 20/06/2022 22:34

Posted on 20/06/2022 22:34

Hoping theres someone out there who knows about motorhomes and bike racks! We need to replace the old rack on our motorhome with one that will take 2 electric bikes. We recently bought a Burstner motorhome that has an old 2-cycle rack on the rear. Its a real struggle getting the 2 e-bikes secured as the arms and rails just arent deep enough.  We live on the Isle of Man and nowhere over here stocks them. We are travelling across the UK in a couple of weeks on our way to Europe so thought it may be possible to stop somewhere between Liverpool and Harwich to get one fitted (weve got one full day). Any suggestions as to who could do this for us? Do most motorhome dealers do this sort of thing? Assuming we would need to order the rack and book workshop time? Any help or technical advice most gratefully received!!

DavidKlyne replied on 21/06/2022 08:43

Posted on 21/06/2022 08:43

If the rack is fixed to the rear of the motorhome in the normal fashion the weight limit will probably be the same regardless of rack, usually 60 kgs? Fiamma sell an upgraded (strength) fold down carrier to fit their standard racks for electric bikes. Do you know which rack you currently have, there should be a label on there somewhere. One solution might be to buy a couple more bike attaching arms as that could be a relatively easy fix? I would suggest that you contact Agent Fiamma and discuss it with them as they have extensive knowledge of Fiamma products. Not sure I can help if its a different make.

David

Takethedogalong replied on 21/06/2022 09:52

Posted on 21/06/2022 09:52

Good advice from DK. Ring round any Fiamma stockist that are close to your route, and get their advice/upgrade. Thule are another brand to consider. We have a Fiamma on our MH, but also have a Thule that clips on to Jeep towball. If starting from scratch, would opt for Thule products. We carry two ebikes around effortlessly with us. Make sure you take the batteries off though and carry elsewhere👍

replied on 21/06/2022 10:04

Posted on 21/06/2022 10:04

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

replied on 21/06/2022 10:04

Posted on 21/06/2022 10:04

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

kenexton replied on 21/06/2022 13:07

Posted on 21/06/2022 13:07

Have you considered having a tow bar fitted?You could then mount a Thule towball fit bike rack.These are at knee height and you would not need to strengthen the MH rear wall/Fiamma rack etcetera,They demount easily and fold for storage.I know because we have one on our AS Warwick Duo.Ours is on a Memo Vansibg to facilitate rear door opening but on a Coach built that would not be an issue,Thule use a 7 pin for the lights by the way but adaptors are readily available.You could also mount a Fiamma Box on the existing Fiamma rack to put bike related clutter into.

kenexton replied on 21/06/2022 13:10

Posted on 21/06/2022 13:10

Best price which we found was from The Journey Centre in Rotherham SY FYI.

peedee replied on 21/06/2022 16:52

Posted on 21/06/2022 16:52

Don't forget a tow ball will add further weight to the rear. If you can accommodate this I agree the Thule tow ball bike rack is the best way to go. I can carry all sorts on mine, spare tyre, awning etc as well as a bike.

peedee

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook