Recommendations for a bike rack for motorhome

ScreenName1880CB3D44 replied on 24/06/2020 18:06

Posted on 24/06/2020 18:06

Hi all

We've just purchased an Elddis Majestic 180 and am looking to buy a bike rack for it which holds 4 bikes.

We are completely new to this as never owned a caravan nor motorhome before.

Have tried googling bike racks for motorhomes and I haven't a clue what I'm really looking at so was looking for any recommendations as to what is the best bike rack to purchase and where from.

Thanks for your help.

GJac replied on 24/06/2020 20:00

Posted on 24/06/2020 20:00

Hi and Congratulations on your Motorhome purchase.  Hope you thoroughly enjoy it.

I’d just like to give a few pointers regarding your potential bike rack.  Make sure it will carry the weight of your bikes safely.  Also consider the height.  I speak from experience as the bike rack on my first m/home was fitted at such a high height it became a real chore lifting the bikes onto it and then the fiddly bit of securing them safely.  Many a bad word was heard especially trying to load up in the wind and rain!  

We’ve now got a Motorhome with a garage so loading the bikes, particularly as one is an ebike and quite heavy, is an easier operation.  But if we didn’t have the garage we would have considered a bike rack which fits on a tow bar.  

So hope that helps but can’t stress enough to make sure the bike rack can take the weight of all your bikes safely.

peedee replied on 25/06/2020 09:03

Posted on 25/06/2020 09:03

If you have a tow bar, by far the easiest solution is a bike rack which fits on it. Thule racks are one of the best. If you do not have a tow bar your best bet is to leave it to your dealer to fit the most appropiate for your needs. Don't try fitting it yourself unless you are confident as to where the strong points are on the rear panel of our vehicle.

peedee

brue replied on 25/06/2020 09:22

Posted on 25/06/2020 09:22

We asked the dealers to fit a Fiamma rack on our newly purchased motor home. The motorhome was a year old when we bought it and we didn't want to lose any warranties by causing any damage ourselves by not knowing the fix points etc. Racks can restrict rear window openings so several things need to be taken into account. On a previous smaller van conversion we had a tow ball mount.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook