Practical Caravanning Course - Recommendation

Simmo2300 replied on 13/03/2017 06:12

Posted on 13/03/2017 06:12

This weekend my wife and I undertook the Practical Caravanning Course with Diamond Driver Training in Newark. In a word, FANTASTIC, worth every penny and a lot more besides, I can't thank the instructors highly enough.

Whilst I've towed before my wife was terrified and highly unlikely to ever tow anything forwards let alone reverse it. Now, whilst still apprehensive, she's actually looking forward to towing the caravan both forwards and in reverse, even to the point of wanting to be the one to tow it home from the dealers.

Many, many, many, many thanks to Ian and Darren at Diamond Driver Training in Newark; both long time caravanners, highly knowledgeable, helpful, informative, amusing and above all patient.

To anyone new to caravanning, do the course, you'll learn loads. Very highly Recommended.

RochelleCC replied on 13/03/2017 13:32

Posted on 13/03/2017 13:32

Hi Simmo,

So glad that you found the course useful, I've passed your comments onto the team smile

If anyone else is convinced by Simmo's recommendation, we also offer motorhome courses, you can find out more here

Lyke Wake Man replied on 08/04/2017 22:22

Posted on 08/04/2017 22:22

I've never done the course, but I have been towing since 1977, a few years later I started driving long distance, driving 3.5 tonnes and towing 16 foot trailer, I am sure I can move a caravan/trailer without needing a course.

Their is of course plenty who should do the course, as they clearly dont have the knolage to move the van safely

Astro76 replied on 28/04/2017 13:31

Posted on 28/04/2017 13:31

I did the course at York last year.  It was very useful kick start, and has given my alot of confidence in towing.  As I caravan solo, it's great to have enough confidence to be able to hooks up, tow, setup, reverse with some confidence.

In addition, the other stuff - knowing how to load properly has is great, as I've already towed a few hundred miles (only been on a couple of trips so far) without and hint or even fear of snaking.  My van behaves beautifully, I'm sure that this wouldn't be true not been on the course.

Rosie Rabbit replied on 27/05/2017 09:15

Posted on 27/05/2017 09:15

Thanks for that review. I am booked in on the course in July and being of the wobbly knee and heart variety I was really pleased to find your wife ended up champing at the bit to get towing!

dmiller555 replied on 27/05/2017 10:46

Posted on 08/04/2017 22:22 by Lyke Wake Man

I've never done the course, but I have been towing since 1977, a few years later I started driving long distance, driving 3.5 tonnes and towing 16 foot trailer, I am sure I can move a caravan/trailer without needing a course.

Their is of course plenty who should do the course, as they clearly dont have the knolage to move the van safely

Posted on 27/05/2017 10:46

I agree that there are some, such as yourself who are too knolageable to need towing tuition however many will find the course of help; I did.

Milothedog replied on 27/05/2017 11:19

Posted on 27/05/2017 10:46 by dmiller555

I agree that there are some, such as yourself who are too knolageable to need towing tuition however many will find the course of help; I did.

Posted on 27/05/2017 11:19

Your never too old to learn, you never know you may have got wrong in the first place wink

Bongonaught replied on 29/05/2017 16:47

Posted on 13/03/2017 06:12 by Simmo2300

This weekend my wife and I undertook the Practical Caravanning Course with Diamond Driver Training in Newark. In a word, FANTASTIC, worth every penny and a lot more besides, I can't thank the instructors highly enough.

Whilst I've towed before my wife was terrified and highly unlikely to ever tow anything forwards let alone reverse it. Now, whilst still apprehensive, she's actually looking forward to towing the caravan both forwards and in reverse, even to the point of wanting to be the one to tow it home from the dealers.

Many, many, many, many thanks to Ian and Darren at Diamond Driver Training in Newark; both long time caravanners, highly knowledgeable, helpful, informative, amusing and above all patient.

To anyone new to caravanning, do the course, you'll learn loads. Very highly Recommended.

Posted on 29/05/2017 16:47

Very pleased to read this, I booked my course last month for August.

Boff replied on 30/05/2017 11:27

Posted on 30/05/2017 08:18 by Greygit

Its too expensive for two of us but we are learning as we go along....so far so good.

Posted on 30/05/2017 11:27

Yes we learnt that way as well.  Mind you we were sponsored by CC insurance.  Wish we had booked a course. 

eurortraveller replied on 30/05/2017 12:49

Posted on 30/05/2017 12:49

More and more people are going to need training on the road and in traffic to B+E standard so that they can take that test.  

Is the Club course offering that level of training yet, or is the Club course still about  pottering round cones in a car park, and then standing around watching  other people doing that? 

Time to get real? 

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook