Polarity

Family ashnic replied on 10/07/2016 22:54

Posted on 10/07/2016 22:54

Hiya. We will soon be heading to Europe for an adventure with our van. I have read loads of posts on here which have been brilliant for advice. I have read about polarity and purchased a tester but I'm not sure what to do if it's not ok. Does it mean no electric while we are on that pitch?

SteveL replied on 10/07/2016 22:59

Posted on 10/07/2016 22:59

Some reckon it does not matter, but we carry an adaptor cable which you can make up yourself, or buy from a caravan shop, that switches it back. It is just a short length of cable with a male and female plug at either end, which reverses live and neutral. You plug this into the site post first and then your 25m lead into it. In France you may also require a continental adaptor, although most sites now have the modern European standard plug. These are also  available from a caravan shop.

EmilysDad replied on 10/07/2016 23:07

Posted on 10/07/2016 23:07

Depends on your caravans electric. Try another sockert first. Just don't stick a knife in your toaster to retrieve your toast while its plugged in. 

DSB replied on 10/07/2016 23:44

Posted on 10/07/2016 23:44

We have a plug in device which we keep permanently plugged into out kitchen socket - immediately visable when we open the caravan door.  If it shows we have reversed polarity we add our reversed polarity lead.  

This is a very small lead that the have made up ourselves (male plug on one end, female on the other), where the live and nuteral wires are reversed on one of the plugs.  Attach this small lead either the caravan end or the electric bollard end, and that should solve the problem.

Also remember to take with you an adaptor with an 'english' to continental adapter.  You can buy a made up lead for this at a caravan stockist.  We wouldn't be without ours although there days we feel there are more continental sites we have visited with our 'standard English' connection.  Whenever we go to Europe we always take a spare 'continental adapter'.  Most years we have to lend our spare to someone! 

David 

replied on 11/07/2016 06:45

Posted on 11/07/2016 06:45

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

Metheven replied on 11/07/2016 08:20

Posted on 11/07/2016 08:20

Or if you have a lead on a drum like I have, just reverse the L&N of one outlet and mark as such. I use one or the other depending on what the tester indicates.

EmilysDad replied on 12/07/2016 16:40

Posted on 12/07/2016 16:40

Depends on your caravans electric. Try another sockert first. Just don't stick a knife in your toaster to retrieve your toast while its plugged in. 

:Eeek: It's not safe to do that whatever the polarity

... I never said it was... that's why I said not to while it was plugged in :-)

replied on 12/07/2016 17:02

Posted on 12/07/2016 17:02

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

EmilysDad replied on 12/07/2016 17:07

Posted on 12/07/2016 17:07

Agreed Dorset D. My last caravan, a 2002 Lunar had reversed polarity tell tale on the power supply unit ..... I've not found on on my 2013 Coachman .... but we've only had it a couple of weeks. 

paul56 replied on 12/07/2016 18:39

Posted on 12/07/2016 18:39

In reality, and I hope others will agree, problems with electricity in Europe are not that common.  I don't test for polarity as I don't think is matters that much, but others may.  However, I would never play with the electrics whilst plugged in regardless.  The only problem I have found in the last few years was low voltage.  Modern fridges seem to dislike it and it can result in damage.  

Totally agree DD. We've been touring the continent for the proverbial donkeys years and never tested the electric polarity yet and not had a problem. If anything untoward was to happen I'd unplug from the mains. At home I don't clean out the blades of the lawnmower without unplugging it or clean out the bread from the toaster without unplugging it.

easyonthegas replied on 26/08/2016 08:48

Posted on 26/08/2016 08:48

The polarity issue, I suggest is for older vans that do not have the current dual polarity isolation in their RCB or consumer unit.

If you are working on the electrcial circuits, switch them off first at the isolator

If you are normal consumer, the issue is not relavent, especially as most wall sockets do not have a switch (as you often do at home). If you are concerned, then upplug them at night.

So don't worry, enjoy your hols and carry less equipment!

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook