Payload Help!

HaveYouZena replied on 20/09/2021 12:39

Posted on 20/09/2021 12:39

I'm totally confused and am hoping that you wise, more experienced bunch will be able to help!

I've just purchased a beautiful 2019 Adria Matrix Plus 670 SC. It's not from a dealership so I'm not sure who to ask about this.

The previous owner thinks it had a weight upgrade but I can't find any evidence in the paperwork to support that.

To add to the confusion there's two weight plates on the engine bay, see below:

My question is. What is the payload of the motorhome?

As my husband has an older licence he'll be able to drive it for sure but mine is much newer (2001) so I'm not sure if I'm OK to drive it?

Any help much appreciated!!

James351 replied on 20/09/2021 16:23

Posted on 20/09/2021 16:23

It looks to me like it has been 'up plated' to increase the user payload. 

If that's correct you won't be able to drive with out a DVLA C1 category as the MGW Maximum Gross Weight) is now 3650 kg. 

The numbers from top to bottom on each plate will be MGW. The most the unit can weigh when fully laden.

The next is the GTW (Gross Train Weight). This is what the combined weight of the unit and any trailer can weigh together.

The next two are the individual axle weights from front to rear. The front axle can take 1850 kg and the rear 2000 kg.

Hope this helps.

Tinwheeler replied on 20/09/2021 17:15

Posted on 20/09/2021 17:15

I think it has been downplated. Are there any weights shown on your V5?

The first pic will be the one applied by the vehicle builder - Fiat - appertaining to the basic unconverted vehicle.

The second plate has been fixed by Adria after conversion and downplated to 3500kg. The downplating was probably done to make the van appeal to those limited on their licence to a max of 3500.

To calculate your payload, you need to establish the unladen weight of the converted vehicle (almost impossible unless it’s stated in the Adria paperwork) and subtract that figure from 3500. The most practical thing to do is to probably load the van in holiday trim and take it to a weighbridge to check you are not exceeding 3500kg. Check the axle loadings as well.

At 3500 you will be able to drive it on a 'newer' licence.

Perhaps someone else can confirm, or otherwise, my conclusions.

young thomas replied on 20/09/2021 18:27

Posted on 20/09/2021 18:27

I agree with TW.

The Aluminium plate is from Fiat and, at 3650, would suggest to me that the van is equipped with an AlKo rear chassis, which allows for a larger payload.

then, the owner may have decided he wanted to run it at 3500kg for whatever reason and hence the Adria plate....probably supplied through the dealer at sale time.

by coincidence, we have three plates....

our van came plated at 3650 from Fiat (AlKo chassis) and then a second plate at 3850 from Carthago the converter (16" wheels and beefier tyres) but I wanted to run it at 3500...not for licensing reasons but to be able to enter European towns which often have a 3500 limit...hence the third plate supplied by the dealer, via Carthago.

Lutz replied on 21/09/2021 07:37

Posted on 21/09/2021 07:37

The details shown on the Adria plate should agree with what's on the V5c and they are the ones that count for the user of the vehicle.

young thomas replied on 21/09/2021 08:48

Posted on 21/09/2021 08:48

Re payload

white arches give this detail on the website...

Overall Length 7.485
Overall Height (inc TV ariel) 2.90
Mass in running order 3080kg
Overall width (inc mirrors) 2.29
Maximum Authorised Weight 3500kg

we don't know what 'mass in running order' means for Adria, the brochure might explain, but I suspect it will include driver, gas, some fuel and a water quantity between nil and full....much more likely nil (or 20 ltrs).

in which case you have starting figure of around 420kg (from the above) from which you must first deduct any passengers (nominally 75kg for an adult) and any water (a full tank is likely to be 100ltr or so).

with just these two elements added, you're down to 245kg...certainly not a massive amount. Yes, it's possible to reduce the amount of water carried, but this might depend on the type of site you use and the availability of water at the site you're leaving or heading towards....we tend to fill on departure (when we empty the waste) which means we regularly travel with a full tank, removes the pain of finding MHSP and filling when we arrive at the next site.

Also, what extras or accessories have been added to the basic spec....2nd battery, sat system, solar panels, awning etc...all these add weight and eat payload.

then there's bedding and clothes (much, much heavier than you think) along with other essentials. Crockery, cutlery, electric gadgets, kettles, toasters, etc.

Do you have E/bike's, bbq, outside chairs, tables, etc.

the ONLY way to understand 'your' payload is to get the van weighed (including both axle weights) in a known state...

either empty...which will give you a 'spare capacity' figure or, better IMHO fully loaded for a long trip....passenger, water, clothes, food, bikes, outside kit etc.in fact everything, and you'll know your maximum.

the axle weights are important for two reasons....firstly you need to know that it's possible to exceed one of these yet still be under total weight....

secondly, these axle weights will help you set appropriate tyre pressures for each axle (rather than the catch all ones printed either in the handbook or on a door pillar)

good luck.

young thomas replied on 21/09/2021 08:52

Posted on 20/09/2021 21:22 by eurortraveller

Hi Zena,  remove the aluminium plate. Problem solved.

Posted on 21/09/2021 08:52

Removing the aluminium plate does nothing....the van has been downplated and will be reflected in the V5 details....

Zena's issue is not a licence one, its a dearth of payload.

many folk these days are stuck between a rock and a hard place...a nice largish van which is either plated beyond their license groups OR at 3500kg can't provide sufficiently adequate payload.

cyberyacht replied on 02/10/2021 17:28

Posted on 02/10/2021 17:28

I'm a bit late to the party, having been away in my 6.4metre moho. The van in question is a whole metre longer than mine and a bit wider so is a substantial bulk. I'm sorry to rain on your parade but I would suggest it will be well nigh impossible to run that van at 3500Kg. I had mine weighed as I left for my recent trip with a full fuel and water tank load and came in at 20Kg under 3500Kg. Whilst you could travel with only a nominal amount of water, it leaves very little leeway for any kit.

Kasspa replied on 02/10/2021 19:38

Posted on 02/10/2021 19:38

My Fiat based Benimar has similar plates, as said previously the first is a Fiat plate 3650 Kg, the second is conversion brand plate..... mine also shows 3500 Kg.

I only have a 320 Kg payload but manage it well, initially weighing everything I put in van.... sad I know!

However, on weighing it twice at a weighbridge my unladen weight included, leisure battery, 2 x gas bottles + the Fiamma awning giving me more leeway than I expected as I initially deducted these from my payload....

I only travel with 20 litres of water onboard + 5 litres fresh in a container & fill up on arrival on site, any surplus when leaving is balanced by fuel used & I always empty grey waste.

You'll find a method that suits you.

Enjoy, hope this helps!

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook