New to touring

Gibson60 replied on 20/03/2018 09:29

Posted on 20/03/2018 09:29

Hi my wife and I have had a caravan for about 5 years but always had it on a seasonal pitch with storage facilities as my car wasn't big enough to use as tow vehicle. Now I have retired I have changed to a suitable tow car (a Nissan x-trail) and we would like to start using the caravan for its intended use and start exploring, what is it like touring on the continent and where would you more experienced tourers start with. Thanks for any advice and who knows we may even see you over there.

KjellNN replied on 20/03/2018 11:19

Posted on 20/03/2018 11:19

• Very easy compared to here, especially out of peak season as there is no need to book other than possibly at the popular holiday periods.
  • look into getting the Camping Card ACSI for discounts
  • find your best value ferry crossing and start from there
  • remember there is more to Europe than France
  • get good health and breakdown cover
  • carry essential spares and basic tools
  • check your tyres as not using them may have caused them to deteriorate more quickly than expected

Gibson60 replied on 20/03/2018 15:11

Posted on 20/03/2018 15:11

Thank you KjeINN for your reply ...what is the ACSI Card and where would I get one ...thanks

Nuggy replied on 20/03/2018 16:11

Posted on 20/03/2018 16:11

If your caravan has stood still for 5 years with the tyres taking any of the weight, then the tyres will be completely shot, so new tyres and a spare are a must. It is best to change tyres every 5-7 years under normal use. Also a very good service, brakes and wheel bearings etc. The moves in and out of storage are meaningless.

I would suggest a few trips around this country first.

Gibson60 replied on 21/03/2018 14:23

Posted on 21/03/2018 14:23

Thanks to you all for your advice, tho it will prob be next year before we try touring abroad but its good to know type of things we need to do 

Pippah45 replied on 21/03/2018 14:44

Posted on 21/03/2018 14:44

You might like to add overseas breakdown insurance to that.  I agree with the others it is easier over the water with much less crowded roads.  You may also need a European adapter for your cable except in Northern France where they use the same EHU as here.  Available online or most accessory shops.  Where I have been in Brittany they think we are weird for using the Aquaroll and waste water barrels as they seem to use the facilities exclusively!  Why wait till next year? 

Swifty2018 replied on 21/03/2018 15:20

Posted on 21/03/2018 15:20

Why wait till next year?

Completely agree Pippah. People make too big of a deal about going abroad. Read all the wonderful advice given on here and just go. Don't get conned into booking sites if you are going out of the peak season of mid July to end of August

paul56 replied on 21/03/2018 16:28

Posted on 21/03/2018 15:20 by Swifty2018

Why wait till next year?

Completely agree Pippah. People make too big of a deal about going abroad. Read all the wonderful advice given on here and just go. Don't get conned into booking sites if you are going out of the peak season of mid July to end of August

Posted on 21/03/2018 16:28

But as a first timer abroad I would suggest that they do book the sites in advance. It is reassuring to know that there is a space reserved, possibly at the end of a long day.

Swifty2018 replied on 21/03/2018 16:46

Posted on 21/03/2018 16:46

Paul, I do agree it is probably a good idea to book the first night especially if they are arriving late on the Continent but to prebook all the other sites just causes unnecessary stress. How does anyone who hasn't toured abroad before, know how long it will take to reach their destination. They may discover that the expected destination is a lot further than they thought or they might pass through an area they would like to stop and explore. If no commitments have been made alterations in time and destination can be made enroute.

Another point is that prebooking destinations can involve deposits, this again causes problems, if they don't like the site, their neighbours or even the weather they are likely to lose their deposit if they leave early.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook