New to motorhome life!

Jack Benton replied on 17/05/2020 16:07

Posted on 17/05/2020 16:07

Hi to all,

We bought a new van back before lockdown and obviously very excited to go away in it,  we've been out and bought what we think is a good start to fill the van knives, kettle saucepans etc and will soon find out what we will need once we find out we haven't got it. I just wondered as everyone must feel a bit daunted at first, what would you reccomend before we set off. For instance chemicals for the toilet.... luckily I read a blog otherwise I would have no idea. 

Look forward to hearing from you all!!

Byron54 replied on 06/06/2020 09:15

Posted on 06/06/2020 09:15

Hi

We are perhaps the same as you only a little bit further back. We bought the Chausson van on Wednesday and pick it up in 3 weeks. So although both my wife and I have been thinking about a caravan/ motorhome for about 5 years now we finally took the plunge, probably helped by the Covid crisis. Although I am fairly practical it is knowing what to buy , what type and new or used. So for me I an starting with the sat nav, I really like Garmin ( use it on my motorbikes )but which is the best for these large vehicles. 

Pippah45 replied on 06/06/2020 10:30

Posted on 06/06/2020 10:30

Welcome to the wonderful world of freedom!  I have the Garmin Camper - BUT please be aware to check your route and use the CMHC directions to campsites as it isn't 100% accurate.  I was caught out the first time at St David's club site and it was a little unnerving on those very narrow lanes.  I had ASSumed it would take me to the sites - and it doesn't!  I don't know whether it is coincidence or lockdown - but mine seems to have died on me and I can't get it going again - battery gone?  

Personally I use the liquid soap tabs from Lidl or similar - for the loo I much prefer to the blue stuff which is a pain if it spills etc.  You will find long discussions in Tips for making Caravanning & Touring Cheaper.  If you can spend a night or two on the drive before you get out and about you will soon discover what you haven't got!  

Here's to hoping we will be going again soon.  

no one replied on 06/06/2020 13:38

Posted on 06/06/2020 13:38

having had our old girl Molly for just on a year now, Motorhoming was completely new to us, but now is a new way to live.

for sat nav I started off by using a standard Garmin car type but now have just purchased an AGURI 720 motorhome. not only a sat nav with campsites etc in the programming, you are able to input your vehicle size (and trailer if needed) but also has an inbuilt dashcam and ability to link to a reversing camera, as well as be able to use as an android based Ipad, download apps etc, I think it's pretty impressive. 

If you know someone with a caravan or motorhome I would suggest for the first outing to go together, Useful if you have never been to a site before or pitched up and hooked up to EHU or set up tv/sat aerial or even levelled up (I don't bother but some are pretty pedantic about a level van!)

We use cheap ceramic plates cups and bowls, a slight weight penalty but a lot cheaper than melamine or bamboo, and nicer to eat from. We use 'camping 'pots and pans as they are compact and light weight and the right size for just the 2 of us. Make sure all you mains electrical devices are  low wattage, it might take longer for the kettle to boil, but you won't trip the EHU bollard, you have a maximum of 16 amp (some are 10 amp or even less) you may have to unplug some things to work others. we carry a toaster a gas and an electric kettle a small oil filled radiator and a couple of desk lights and an extension lead or 2 and not forgetting the 19" TV!

for freshwater (my van only has a 35ltr tank so have to be mindful of it) we have 3 lengths of 2M hose that can be linked together, any further away and I use water jerry cans to top up (I carry 2 10ltr and 1 23ltr), or drive to the MH service point. which you can do when you arrive with an empty tank and when you leave for any reason to dump the grey water and fresh if you need to (weight again)

I have been using 'Blue' and Pink' in the black waste tank and flush but have now bought the cheap bio laundry tabs from Lidl to try next time we are away. The blue is horrible stuff ,stains everything if spilt.

toilet roll, normal 2 ply cheap is just as good, if not better than the expensive 'special' camping toilet roll.

Carry a 25m cable for EHU (remember to unwind it completely if on a reel) and also a 25m tv aerial for those sites that have a tv hook up, also carry tv aerial to sat aerial connections as on some of the EHU's I have seen they have the screw in connections not the normal push in type.

I also carry levelling ramps (not used them) and grip mats to go under the wheels for when the going gets soft.

We also bought a small drive away awning, it makes a longer stay more comfortable and works as an 'airlock' in winter, although we don't take it with us every trip.

So that's my basics for the first year in my 25 year old MH, hope some of it is of use to you.

SteveL replied on 07/06/2020 12:49

Posted on 07/06/2020 12:49

We tented for 30 odd years before buying a caravan, then a year ago switching to a MH. Fortunately as you are new to it, you won't have the preconceptions we started with.

For filling up you will need a length of preferably food grade hose, at least 10 metres, and a selection of tap connectors. Some sort of extension pipe to the waste outlet is also useful, ours came with 2metres. Particularly on older sites some of the MH disposal points are not easy to empty directly into. A watering can for a quick top up without moving the van and a collapsible bucket for emptying if all else fails, are also useful.

For inside, after the caravans we found a minimalist approach worked best. Although reasonably roomy there is a lot less work surface in the MH. We therefore did away with the electric appliances (kettle, toaster, coffee maker) and just used the gas. In this respect refillable gas is a distinct advantage, as it is significantly cheaper and can be topped up before empty at home or abroad. Not having surfaces cluttered, also makes moving on a lot quicker. Another thing to consider with gas use is using the MH of grid ( where you can't connect to 240 volt) If you are intending to use it as we did on Aires in France, refillables make sense. Similarly if you use it to go out for the day you will have to power the fridge on gas while parked up.

For use off grid, or if you store your van in a compound, solar panels are also worth considering. Our batteries have remained fully charged throughout this lockdown period, despite the drain of alarm and tracker.

What I would also advise is taking it to a weighbridge and checking its weight with yourself  and normal passengers, along with full fuel tank, gas, hot water tank and minimal fresh water. This will give you some idea of what else you will be able to add and still stay within overall and axle limits. We weighed each item as we added it and then went back to the weighbrige to check. You may or may not have enough tolerance to travel with a full tank of water.

tricia11 replied on 07/06/2020 16:49

Posted on 17/05/2020 16:07 by Jack Benton

Hi to all,

We bought a new van back before lockdown and obviously very excited to go away in it,  we've been out and bought what we think is a good start to fill the van knives, kettle saucepans etc and will soon find out what we will need once we find out we haven't got it. I just wondered as everyone must feel a bit daunted at first, what would you reccomend before we set off. For instance chemicals for the toilet.... luckily I read a blog otherwise I would have no idea. 

Look forward to hearing from you all!!

Posted on 07/06/2020 16:49

Lovely Motorhome, we love our Autotrail.

We tried the tabs, did not work for us, it s Blue and Pink only.

There is a lot of good advice on here, you will learn lots with every trip.

Would recommend cleaning out water and waste tanks regularly.

The best advice is keep calm and carry on. Try to always use the Caravan and Motorhome directions to their sites . We have come unstuck a couple of times , never again.

Apperley replied on 07/06/2020 20:05

Posted on 07/06/2020 20:05

Hi Jack, welcome. There are a number of tutorial videos on Youtube that show you how to set up, how to hook up etc. There are also many checklists online about what kit to take. But be careful no to rush out and buy everything and then find you don't really need it or use it! 

Also, initially it would be useful to print out the checklists for setting up and how to pack everything away when you leave. The number of people who drive off with the TV aerial still up! There are plenty of checklists online.

I've downloaded all the user manuals onto my tablet as well as printing out key pages. Using a tablet makes it easier to search documents. 

I would recommend levelling ramps. Never reverse up your levelling ramps. Never leave excess EHU lead rolled up on reel, they get hot and  can catch fire. Also remember things like a torch, small toolkit, cable ties and a first aid kit, fire extinguisher. And pen and paper - to make a note of the things you forgot and need to bring next time.

Ask for advice on site - we were all beginners once and remember Google is your friend.

Enjoy

Thornsett replied on 09/06/2020 10:43

Posted on 09/06/2020 10:43

Think about how you will use the motorhome and where. Then try and walk through what you need. The only think I need is a debit card.

Doing this, I would say you might need two propane gas bottles [red], 2 x 6kg is usually enough; a 25m long hook up cable; someway of putting water in your fresh water tank such as a large 10l+ container [ours is 25l but is heavy to carry] or a food grade hose [some say it doesn't have to be food grade] - we bought a 12m food grade hose and cut into 8m and 4m lengths with a hozelock connector for if I needed the full 12m (I do at home) and appropriate hose/tap adaptors to deliver water from a tap into the water tank. Toilet rolls and any fluids necessary for the toilet. That's the basics.

Then a kettle (I prefer gas), enough mugs and cutlery for the inhabitants plus say 2 guests [there are only two of use so we have enough for 4]; we use a double skillet and pan with two steamers; plus whatever cookery tools you need for what you are going to cook. Some of our accessories are collapsible silicon such as bowl for sink.

Duvets or sleeping bags with pillows - we leave ours in but ensure they are ventilated from time to time and we keep the damp away - duvalays are an expensive but well-regarded solution. Don't forget washing up liquids, powers, cleaners [take care what you use as some domestic cleaners are too strong], dishcloths, cleaning cloths, and tea towels. We use a few 27 year old nappies for cleaning! Most people forget a tin opener or bottle opener! We carry a few cork mats for standing hot pans etc.

Tinned foods are useful with long sell by dates but are heavy. Try dry packet goods if you can keep them dry and they are edible.

A simple tool kit including a spanner or monkey wrench to change over gas bottles (some CMC sites sell a spanner of the right size for a few quid), a few screwdrivers including an electrical one, cable ties and gaffer tape. I've always carried windscreen cleaner. Sewing threads and needles plus scissors. Torch.

Clothes and anything you need to pursue your hobbies in the van. Kindles are useful but CMC sites often have a small range of paperbacks. Charger for phones.

Essential documents, various debit/credit cards.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook