MTPLM

Mariner58 replied on 08/09/2017 12:40

Posted on 08/09/2017 12:40

Hi, I recently joined the Bailey UK Owners club to get an insight into owning a Bailey caravan as I’m looking to buy one early next year.  Although this will be my first caravan I’m not exactly a novice at towing.  Previously I’ve towed industrial Portakabin type trailers and a small boat.  I had a go at towing a caravan a year or so ago, which went without any problems and I’ll be going on an approved caravan training course prior to buying.

I’ve looked at the rules and recommendations over the matching of cars and caravans, and I’m slightly confused.  The caravan’s MTPLM should be around 85% of the kerb weight of the car.  However, the kerb weight of the car is that weight without passengers or other goods.  In my case the kerb weight of my car is 1614kg, with a maximum towing limit of 1900kg. 

Simply taking 85% of the 1614kg kerb weight would give me a recommended MTPLM towing weight of 1372kg.  The caravan I have my eye on has a MIRO of 1343kg and a MTPLM of 1498kg. (1498/1614 = 92.8%).

The Outfit Match Report for my car and the proposed caravan from the Caravan & Motorhome Club website states “Note that a small increase in ratio (to perhaps 90%) is acceptable if all other criteria are passed”. 

If I add a passenger weighing 70kg, a dog 30kg and other goods, say 60kg, does the weight of the caravan that can legally and safely be towed equate to the 1614kg kerb weight + 160kg passenger/goods x 85%?  If so that would be 1774kg x 85% = a towable weight of 1507kg.

My question is: Will the extra weight in the car, above the kerb weight, increase the recommended towable weight? If not, will the additional 7.8% make such a significant difference, that I should go for a lighter caravan?

ocsid replied on 14/09/2017 16:20

Posted on 14/09/2017 16:20

The "recommendation" is based on the kerb weight, that is not altered in any way by what extra cargo you carry.

However, it is just that a "recommendation" and a very blunt tool that does not take into account some cars are inherently much more capable of stable towing than others.

I with a well suited car would not have the slightest worry about towing up to 100%, but other cars I would not tow with even at the "recommended" 85%.

Short hook to rear wheel overhang, long wheel base, and squat sports like suspension are for example good features in achieving stable tow cars.

ChrisRogers replied on 14/09/2017 16:41

Posted on 14/09/2017 16:41

The C&MC matching service gives me a tow ratio of 93%, work it out myself from the car handbook / V5C, both same figure and I get 88%; however, no problem with towing stability at all.

replied on 14/09/2017 16:51

Posted on 14/09/2017 16:51

The weight of my X-Trail plus 75kg for a driver and personal effects and 90% full tank plus fitted towbar is 1725kg. I tow 1500kg caravan with no problem. Without a driver, tow bar and fuel the car will not be towing

The info on CC website for my car is pure rubbish. 

Lutz replied on 14/09/2017 18:04

Posted on 14/09/2017 18:04

Just out of interest, how do you know that the kerbweight of your car is 1614kg? Kerbweight is something that is not normally published and even where a manufacturer quotes a figure that he calls kerbweight, in most cases it is not that but mass in running order. There could be a difference quite as large as the difference between 1498 (actual MTPLM of prospective caravan) and 1372kg (calculated based on a 85% weight ratio recommendation).

I wouldn't know where to get a reliable kerbweight figure for a car other by weighing it.

waz51 replied on 14/09/2017 19:18

Posted on 14/09/2017 19:18

You don't say what type of car you have , but in my experience the type of car is just as important as the weight ratios . For example my van has mtplm of 1470 and I used to tow it with vw Passat estate and had difficulties when pulling off and on wet grass . Front wheel drive on a long wheel base is not recommended 'cos as you hitch up the nose weight of the van pushes down on the back of the car and slightly lifts the front , thereby losing grip . I changed my car to a kia sportage which has short wheelbase and high towball position , and even in front wheel drive mode is a dream to tow with .

Lutz replied on 14/09/2017 22:30

Posted on 14/09/2017 19:18 by waz51

You don't say what type of car you have , but in my experience the type of car is just as important as the weight ratios . For example my van has mtplm of 1470 and I used to tow it with vw Passat estate and had difficulties when pulling off and on wet grass . Front wheel drive on a long wheel base is not recommended 'cos as you hitch up the nose weight of the van pushes down on the back of the car and slightly lifts the front , thereby losing grip . I changed my car to a kia sportage which has short wheelbase and high towball position , and even in front wheel drive mode is a dream to tow with .

Posted on 14/09/2017 22:30

It's not the wheelbase that makes the difference. Quite the opposite, the longer the wheelbase the less the effect to the reducing the load on the front axle of adding the noseweight at the rear. What does make a difference is the amount of overhang behind the rear axle. That should be as short as possible. Also, the tyres and maybe the overall weight distribution of the front and rear axle load in the solo condition can make a big difference, too.

I don't quite see where the towball height comes into it. That should alsways be within the required 350 to 420mm above the ground, regardless of the car.

Mariner58 replied on 15/09/2017 09:18

Posted on 15/09/2017 09:18

Thank you all for your responses.  They're all good and pertinent replies.

As you say Lutz, car manufacturers don't seem to provide the kerbweights in their technical specs. I looked on various websites and saw a range of kerbweights from 1573 to 1647kg.  The Caravan and Motorhome Club matching service gave a kerbweight of 1614kg.  That being around the average seen, I went with that figure.  If the only way to get a reliable kerbweight is to have the car weighed, I suppose that's what I'll have to do.

To answer your question Waz51, the car is a Ford Kuga Titanium 2.0L TDCi 150PS 2WD.  The Kuga wheelbase is 2690mm, which is just 20mm longer than the Sportage, and the rear wheels are close to the rear end, similar to yours.

Once again, thank you for all your replies.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook