Motorhome hose

carrierbag replied on 04/01/2018 14:44

Posted on 04/01/2018 14:44

Hi, we have just bought our first motorhome and wondered what sort of hose and connectors everyone uses to fill water tank up at service point.  

young thomas replied on 04/01/2018 16:40

Posted on 04/01/2018 16:40

it varies, but i use a blue flat food grade hose which i cut in half and store separately. this means that for 90% of fillings, i only use half the hose which makes it much easier to drain and pack up, there is a 'hoselock' type connector between the two for the occasional ise which requires a long hose.

I have various tap fittings but the UK type std one is common all over europe, though sometimes a slightly differntly threaded one is required, i have one of these and also a 'wind up key' type one for unthreaded taps.

i havent been beaten yet ...though the smaller one i used on a Spanish site was givien to me by the camper next door.....we went on to bump into him at the next site and again later for some longterming....now a lifelong pal.....smile

triky auto replied on 04/01/2018 16:44

Posted on 04/01/2018 16:44

wink ,Hi C,B,,,,,,,,,Most people use a hose that is cleared for use with 'potable' water food grade .The average garden hose of plastic is NOT.My choice is for one of the lay flat type that winds into a reel housing,saving space and time used ONLY for filling the water tank i carry two of these ,as being a M/homer it's easier to link them together to reach the tap than move the vehicle..A good selection of 'Hozelock' type push fit type connectors and adapters,plus the screw on fitting for 'bibcock' taps One that i also carry is the soft rubber one with a 'jubilee' clip for any others..Hope this all makes sense ,and helps you .

Regards ,"Triky" cool.

cyberyacht replied on 04/01/2018 16:52

Posted on 04/01/2018 16:52

Given the short length of time the water spends in the hose, I wonder how hazardous 'ordinary' hose is. I can understand not using it for plumbing where water may sit for a time. How often have we drunk from a garden hose as kids?

Tammygirl replied on 04/01/2018 17:25

Posted on 04/01/2018 17:25

Depends on what type of filler you have on your MH, we have a Whale Aquasource mains water hook up system with which we fill our tank, we also have a similar one that allows us to fill up from a bucket or container.

If you just have an ordinary type then just a hose of good quality will do and probably a watering can for small fill ups if staying on site for any length of time.

Tinwheeler replied on 04/01/2018 17:29

Posted on 04/01/2018 17:29

Whether you need a food grade hose depends very much on whether you intend to drink the water in the tank. Some of us do, some don’t.

hitchglitch replied on 04/01/2018 18:17

Posted on 04/01/2018 18:17

We don’t drink the water from the onboard tank so are happy to use a hose if already attached to the tap but fortunately Autosleepers provide three ways of filling the tanks of which the best is the Whale aquafill system which has a valve and hose with the Motorhome. Attach hose to tap, turn on the tap and it cuts out when full. Also submersible pump which we have never used because we don’t carry a water carrier. Mostly on the continent we have found that a hose is provided so we just drive up and stick the hose in until it overflows.

The kit provided by Whale includes the standard tap screw connector but I also bought a hozelock fitting with jubilee clip which I have found useful.

mickysf replied on 04/01/2018 19:30

Posted on 04/01/2018 18:17 by hitchglitch

We don’t drink the water from the onboard tank so are happy to use a hose if already attached to the tap but fortunately Autosleepers provide three ways of filling the tanks of which the best is the Whale aquafill system which has a valve and hose with the Motorhome. Attach hose to tap, turn on the tap and it cuts out when full. Also submersible pump which we have never used because we don’t carry a water carrier. Mostly on the continent we have found that a hose is provided so we just drive up and stick the hose in until it overflows.

The kit provided by Whale includes the standard tap screw connector but I also bought a hozelock fitting with jubilee clip which I have found useful.

Posted on 04/01/2018 19:30

A few years back whilst abroad I watched in horror as a person using the fresh water hose provided for cleaning the inner most corners of a cassette. From then on I could never used them.  Coincidentally the next time we visited the site the hose had been removed and folk were expected to use their own. Phew!

Phishing replied on 06/01/2018 16:43

Posted on 06/01/2018 16:43

I use hozelock garden hose because the top spec ones are indestructible.  The food grade ones are a bit of a marketing myth but are lined the same way as expensive garden hoses to stop leaching of chemicals from the compounds. If you are going to drink the water then buy a quality hose i.e stay away from the cheap soft PVC ones as they do leach into the water in hot conditions and give the water a bad taste when new, this goes over time. The food grade ones and good quality ones have dual extrusion and have a nylon or polythene inner and PVC outer. Extruded PVC used to have a lot of lead in it a long time ago, lead is now banned from virtually all plastics now so this is not an issue but the phthalates content of cheap hoses does exceed recommended levels but then how much are you going to drink?

As a comparison you will get far more lead from a brass tap fitting in the water than from your hose. The levels concerned are very small.

MidsomerMikey replied on 06/01/2018 17:04

Posted on 04/01/2018 14:44 by carrierbag

Hi, we have just bought our first motorhome and wondered what sort of hose and connectors everyone uses to fill water tank up at service point.  

Posted on 06/01/2018 17:04

What ever you do please don`t use the longer waste hose that's on any motorhome service point on club sites. Some people tend to push the hose up the waste outlet to give the tank a flush out & I`ve seen others then using it to fill the fresh water tank. I use a normal garden hose never had a problem.

Phishing replied on 06/01/2018 18:59

Posted on 06/01/2018 18:59

I always wondered why the waste points in some sites say "Water not for Drinking" it never occurred to me that people may actually use the tank cleaning hose to fill water supply. I cringe just using it after others and wash hands immediatly.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook