Motor movers

GeoffSS replied on 22/10/2021 11:37

Posted on 22/10/2021 11:37

We've just bought a new Swift Basecamp 2 caravan to replace our old Autosleeper Duetto campervan and, partly because I'm not as strong as I was, we opted to have a motor mover fitted.  The electrical isolation switch is inside the van which makes it awkward to reach if the van's loaded ready to go with bikes, model aeroplanes etc stowed.

I accept the desirability of electrical isolation when the van is parked either at home or on site but is it necessary when towing?  Obviously the friction drives are mechanically disconnected so, even if the mover motors are accidentally triggered (unlikely), they're not going to do much (nor consume much energy off load, for that matter).

It would simply be easier to leave them connected whilst towing as they may be needed on arrival anyway.  I can't see any problems with this but if there are, what are they?

Geoff

replied on 22/10/2021 11:48

Posted on 22/10/2021 11:48

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

EmilysDad replied on 22/10/2021 11:55

Posted on 22/10/2021 11:55

I used to leave the mover on my previous caravan permanently  on with no ill effects. I would do the same on my current caravan as the isolator is under a front locker however the Pwrtouch fitted switches itself off after a few minutes.

Cornersteady replied on 22/10/2021 11:58

Posted on 22/10/2021 11:58

The basecamps are small but there should be another place? On the ones I've seen caravans have the switch where the EHU plugs in next to the battery compartment. 

I do recall a similar question before and the person had the switch put into a specially cut out compartment, much like a outside mains/BBQ socket?   

SteveL replied on 22/10/2021 12:20

Posted on 22/10/2021 11:55 by EmilysDad

I used to leave the mover on my previous caravan permanently  on with no ill effects. I would do the same on my current caravan as the isolator is under a front locker however the Pwrtouch fitted switches itself off after a few minutes.

Posted on 22/10/2021 12:20

The power touch on our Cadiz was the same, switched off after about 5 minutes of inactivity.

DavidRC replied on 22/10/2021 12:21

Posted on 22/10/2021 12:21

Our current caravan has the isolator switch in the external battery/EHU locker and I do try to remember to isolate the mover when not actually using it.

However our previous van, which we owned for 14 yrs, did not have an isolator switch for the mover and it was never a problem.

replied on 22/10/2021 12:27

Posted on 22/10/2021 12:27

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

Tinwheeler replied on 22/10/2021 12:31

Posted on 22/10/2021 12:31

I would see about getting the switch moved. They are usually installed in the battery locker or similar as was the case with the 4 vans I had with movers.

richardandros replied on 22/10/2021 13:55

Posted on 22/10/2021 12:27 by

I sometimes forget to switch it off and have had no problems but I was under the impression that problems can arise once the EHU is connected if it isn't/ 

Posted on 22/10/2021 13:55

From memory, I think there is a specific instruction in the Powrtouch manual to the effect that the MM shouldn't be operated whilst connected to EHU because it will cause damage to the control box(es).

The isolator in our van is in the battery box where the EHU lead plugs in and it's in such a position that it's physically impossible to plug in the cable whilst the isolator key is in place - and the dealer fitted it that way, deliberately.

GeoffSS replied on 22/10/2021 16:13

Posted on 22/10/2021 16:13

Thanks for the quick responses.  Apart from towing it home, we haven't used our BC2 yet and the isolation switch/mover etc were fitted by the dealer before we bought it (it's new - gulp!) and, though I'm electrically competent I don't fancy cutting holes and rewiring it yet.

The electronic speed controller (ESC) even when not driving the motors and supposedly switch off will draw some current from the leisure battery - not much but over an extended period could over discharge it, so it's certainly a good idea to isolate it when not being towed. I'll leave it on whilst towing and isolate it once we're settled.

Thanks again.

Geoff

Cornersteady replied on 22/10/2021 16:49

Posted on 22/10/2021 13:55 by richardandros

From memory, I think there is a specific instruction in the Powrtouch manual to the effect that the MM shouldn't be operated whilst connected to EHU because it will cause damage to the control box(es).

The isolator in our van is in the battery box where the EHU lead plugs in and it's in such a position that it's physically impossible to plug in the cable whilst the isolator key is in place - and the dealer fitted it that way, deliberately.

Posted on 22/10/2021 16:49

Yes I remember now that is how it was explained to us, and it can indeed cause damage. I recall one ex-poster saying it did when he did that and needed some new electronics in the box.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook