Motor mover advice please

Deeside7 replied on 13/06/2017 21:03

Posted on 13/06/2017 21:03

Just bought a new Bailey twin axle, its going to come with a motor mover fitted by dealer, but only working on 2 wheels, should i up grade to awd mover, all advice more than welcome 

Cornersteady replied on 14/06/2017 12:15

Posted on 14/06/2017 12:15

I would give the club technical helpline a call? I've often seen movers on all four wheels but don not know if this is recommended or not? What does the dealer say?

Sorry can't be more help.

BorisSnowhead replied on 14/06/2017 16:49

Posted on 14/06/2017 16:49

So we bought a Bailey TA last summer with the AWD mover i.e. one one each axle. 

With hindsight I wish we hadn't! We have had several issues with it which meant at any one time, we were only able to use one set of rollers. Had no issues moving van with one set, including into tight spot on sloping drive. 

Two sets will also add weight and will mean you lose the Alko jacking points on both axles - which may or may not be an issue - we now have a little trolly jack if needed

If you only need it to position on a pitch, my personal view is you will be fine with one. 

If it;s the PowerTouch system, my understanding is that the mover is no different so in theory you could add a second mover at later date if you needed to. 

Have to say PT were fab in sorting out the issues and came to home and storage site to resolve - personally I'd give them a call and ask. Obviously if going with another mover ignore this!!!! 

EmilysDad replied on 14/06/2017 21:29

Posted on 14/06/2017 21:29

We have a Powertouch mover on both axles of our twin axle, they were fitted prior to us owning it. Never had a problem ... so far 

It has been commented here that those with movers on just one of two axles have had problems 

H B Watson replied on 15/06/2017 14:29

Posted on 15/06/2017 14:29

I've got a twin axle car trailer with only one set driven, my decision at the time I admit. It does work fine until you hit some loose ground like sandy soil, gravel or wet grass, at which point because only half the weight of the unit is being driven you can get wheel slip, naturally this can be reduced by raising or lowering the jockey wheel, but it can be a minor problem. At some point I'm definitely going to fit a second unit, but it might be worth giving it a try first assuming it can be upgraded, if it can't then I'd go AWD.

onepjg replied on 23/06/2017 22:51

Posted on 23/06/2017 22:51

Hi

I've had a TA Bailey with a PowerTouch AWD mover. It worked but even with AWD would occasionally struggle on gravel slopes etc. The biggest issue is payload. AWD movers are about 65kg, and as far as I'm aware none of the new Baileys have a particularly good payload, nor can they have a weight upgrade. I took my mover off and sold it because I couldn't get anywhere near the MIRO. Having got rid of it you realise that it's not really needed, and as long as you don't rush it, reversing is not such an issue. I would think long and hard before paying a lot of money for something that you use occasionally and probably makes your van illegal when being towed.

KjellNN replied on 25/06/2017 20:06

Posted on 25/06/2017 20:06

We have a twin axle, MTPLM 1900kg, we have a newish Truma mover, specially designed for T/As . fitted in front of the front wheels.

We did not want the extra weight of a 4 wheel mover and this one does what we need it to do.  It takes the van off the road and up our 1 in 10 slope driveway, it manoeuvres it onto and off of pitches, and makes hitching up easy.

A few back and forward shuffles will get the van in and out of tight spaces.

Works fine on gravel but wet grass can be tricky when trying to turn.

What is best for you will depend on how you need it to perform.

Wildwood replied on 27/06/2017 12:06

Posted on 27/06/2017 12:06

Some movers can handle a twin axle working on one and others cannot. If it works well then it is probably OK as it, is but I would check the model and ring the manufacturers for their advice as usually they are very helpful.

KjellNN replied on 27/06/2017 13:24

Posted on 27/06/2017 13:24

Somewhere on u tube there is a Truma video of how their various models perform.  The turning circle of a2 wheel one can be as much astwice that of a 4 wheel one, depending on the surface.

One thing I would say is if you go for a 2 wheel one, make sure it is designed for a twin axle, the electronics on ours are different from those on the single axle one and the way it moves is different.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook