Milenco or Stronghold?

Daisy2 replied on 03/12/2017 14:51

Posted on 03/12/2017 14:51

We are picking up our new-to-us Xplore 304 in January and so I am making our shopping list!  We need a wheel clamp and hitchlock (suitable with Winterhoff stabiliser).  I was going to go for Milenco ones with 'Sold Secure' gold standard, but dealer recommends Stronghold (more £s and also gold).  Do insurance companies give discounts for either/both brands?  Any views on which is better?  Any guidance on this would be much appreciated!  (No funds for 'proper' wheel lock at the moment).

JVB66 replied on 03/12/2017 14:58

Posted on 03/12/2017 14:58

Are you going back to tugging?wink

some insurance companies will give discounts for security devices,depends on company

dmiller555 replied on 03/12/2017 16:20

Posted on 03/12/2017 16:20

I use a Milenco wheel clamp simply because it lays flat and is therefore easy to store in the car when towing.

Insurance companies generally give a discount for wheel clamp use but some insurance companies only accept certain ones. The discount is generally too small to warrant the purchase of an expensive clamp so it's is worth getting a few quotes. I originally insured with the CMC but they are very expensive. 

Daisy2 replied on 03/12/2017 17:50

Posted on 03/12/2017 17:50

Lol JVB66.  No, we are going to be new to tugging.  Unfortunately funds have run out to keep our motorhome, so we are switching to a 5yr old caravan instead.  Towing course yesterday went better than I expected!  But I still expect to provide plenty of site entertainment next year when we try to pitch 😀

Thanks.  Guess I need to ring round to get some insurance quotes and see if they have a brand preference.

lornalou1 replied on 03/12/2017 21:19

Posted on 03/12/2017 21:19

save your embaressment and fit a mover or tell the nosey buggers to mind their own business. everyone has to learn.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook