Microwave removal

ScreenName1A8168BDB9 replied on 29/08/2021 20:14

Posted on 29/08/2021 20:14

We are 12 months into our first caravan experience and started with a 2012 Buccaneer Corsair.The microwave has ceased to work and I need to get it out and replace with a new model.I am struggling to know where to start tho !! Any tips would be really appreciated.Ive tried YouTube and various Google searches but no joy

Many Thanks,Dean

obbernockle replied on 29/08/2021 21:55

Posted on 29/08/2021 21:55

I assume you have checked the 13A plug and fuse.

I don't really know about your particular caravan, but the microwave oven in our Swift is located by 4 plastic feet on the bottom of the oven, which drop into 4 round holes in a pair of steel strips located in the bottom of the cabinet. In order to come out of the cabinet, the oven has to be lifted about 20mm then it can be slid out. A piece of trim above the oven has to be removed before the oven can be lifted. The trim is held in by visible screws. It may be that yours is installed similarly. Take care as these ovens are heavy, and you are lifting at arm's length and at chin height.

richardandros replied on 30/08/2021 05:22

Posted on 30/08/2021 05:22

And ours is totally different from the above - just held in by two screws through the woodwork into the bottom of the microwave which are hidden by wood-grain plastic screw covers. I thought ours had packed up after less than a year but it turned out to be the fact that the plug - which is a two-pin continental one - plugged upside down into a socket mounted into the roof of the locker, had simply dropped out! A big dollop of gaffer tape over the plug cured that problem!

I agree though - a big heavy lump to lift out - especially at that height.

JohnM20 replied on 30/08/2021 09:26

Posted on 30/08/2021 09:26

The microwave in our Lunar has a wooden trim around the front. Two of the screws to release one side of the trim are actually long screws holding the door hinges in the cupboard next to the microwave. It took ages to figure out where these screws were.  

KjellNN replied on 30/08/2021 10:19

Posted on 30/08/2021 10:19

Ours, also Swift group, was as obbernockle above, other than that we have have a metal effect plastic trim right round it that you have to remove first, it is just clipped in place and easy to remove.

We bought an inexpensive replacement from Asda, about £37, slightly smaller than what was there, so I had to make new steel strips to hold the feet.  

I just replicated what was there but in different dimensions.

Rufs replied on 30/08/2021 11:23

Posted on 30/08/2021 11:23

" agree though - a big heavy lump to lift out - especially at that height."

perhaps that is why on our Coachman they advise that you remove from the housing when on the move, it sits in a wood surround with a roll down door, remove top wood trim which is secured by magnets, unplug, lift up, put on floor, reverse the operation when on site, dont like having such a weight up high when on the move so always follow the adviselaughing

obbernockle replied on 30/08/2021 21:00

Posted on 30/08/2021 11:23 by Rufs

" agree though - a big heavy lump to lift out - especially at that height."

perhaps that is why on our Coachman they advise that you remove from the housing when on the move, it sits in a wood surround with a roll down door, remove top wood trim which is secured by magnets, unplug, lift up, put on floor, reverse the operation when on site, dont like having such a weight up high when on the move so always follow the adviselaughing

Posted on 30/08/2021 21:00

I think Coachman is correct to be concerned. It is a very bad place to put such a heavy weight (perhaps 20Kg?) The lightweight ply cabinet in our Swift is incapable of carrying the weight and has permanently sagged.

Navigateur replied on 30/08/2021 21:12

Posted on 30/08/2021 21:12

Some microwaves are fitted with the plug going into a socket in an adjacent cupboard, which is fine as long as the plug was not removed to do this so that the wire could pass through a tiny hole to reach the socket.  Not what you want to discover when one has lifted the thing out and can't put it down anywhere!

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook