Levelling on grass

munro21 replied on 13/05/2020 12:37

Posted on 13/05/2020 12:37

Hi all, hope you are all keeping safe.  I am looking ahead and thinking of trying cl sites in the future. But as some sites are on grass has anybody got any advice or tips as to the best way to level up the caravan if I was on grass.  This is because I have never pitched on grass. Any advice most welcome. Thanks

EmilysDad replied on 13/05/2020 12:55

Posted on 13/05/2020 12:55

I have a few off cuts of decking that I drive onto to level up my twin axle or you could use one of the various purpose made ramps available. Generally though, most CLs have reasonably level areas where you can pitch without much trouble .... don't forget that CL's don't have white/red/blue pegs that you have to pitch to 😉

Tinwheeler replied on 13/05/2020 13:00

Posted on 13/05/2020 13:00

Take some wooden blocks to place under the corner steadies to prevent them sinking and some short planks to park the wheels and jockey wheel on. Other than that, eye up the ground, pick as level a spot as you can and level it as you would anywhere else. 👍🏻

m0rrisman replied on 13/05/2020 15:58

Posted on 13/05/2020 15:58

Hi Munro21

select your a position on site but 1 foot further back, check sideways for level and gauge as to how much and which side needs to be raised then place blocks in front of said wheel and pull forward onto blocks(if it is say 4 inches you will need a 2 inch block to help driving up onto if not quite to your satisfaction reverse off and adjust. Handbrake on, unhitch and raise or lower jockey wheel with a 1/2 inch ply pad under and on corner steadies 

moulesy replied on 13/05/2020 16:12

Posted on 13/05/2020 16:12

As others have said, carry a few offcuts with you - we used to take 4 planks (no, the driver wasn't one of them!) about 1 metre by 20 cm, 5cm deep. Much easier to drive onto than the expensive yellow plastic wedge things - more environmentally friendly too! 

Good luck - you'll love the CL experience once you start using them. And if you want suggestions in specific areas, just ask away. smile

Wherenext replied on 13/05/2020 16:20

Posted on 13/05/2020 16:20

CLs come in all shapes and sizes so if you don't like the first one do not be discouraged from trying again. We have been on ones that you have to set up base camp first and others that are flat as pancakes.

The thing about grass CLs is that they tend, tend mind you, to be on older more longer established sites so are on farms etc. These usually have a bit more room than some newer ones and with the extra room and lack of having to park next to a white or blue peg you can be a bit more judicious in your choice of where to park the unit, even parking sideways on some which may give you the more level ground side to side, which is more important, IMO, than front and back.

Don't forget that if you are using your own shower to leave a very slight incline to the drain if possible. Sometimes it's not possible.

We still enjoy grass CLs so hope you get the bug. Good luck.

munro21 replied on 13/05/2020 17:45

Posted on 13/05/2020 17:45

Thanks for all the good advice.  Does anybody have any suggestions for CL's in Northumberland, Lakes, or the North Yorkshire Moors?

thebells replied on 13/05/2020 18:08

Posted on 13/05/2020 17:45 by munro21

Thanks for all the good advice.  Does anybody have any suggestions for CL's in Northumberland, Lakes, or the North Yorkshire Moors?

Posted on 13/05/2020 18:08

Northumberland:

1. Brandon Ford- 5 Fully serviced hardstanding pitches and 1 grass pitch all with great views. Right beside The Cheviots,  so if you like walking you can enjoy miles and miles often without seeing another soul. My favourite Northumberland site.

2. Low Hedgeley Farm  (used to be a CL but now private)- mix of hardstanding and grass. Very nice owners. 

3. Easington Farm-if you prefer being nearer coast. Hardstanding pitches.

4. Chillingham Barns- all on a level grass field in a beautiful area.

5. Lough House Sweethope -5 hardstanding pitches but no awnings as grass very boggy between pitches. Set on fishing lakes in a peaceful part of Northumberland but good access to Bellingham and lots of walks on site. 

These are just a few that I can recommend from our experience 😊

nelliethehooker replied on 13/05/2020 19:37

Posted on 13/05/2020 19:37

Best add my two pennyworth:-

Lakes

Penrith   Slapestone Villa; hardstanding  with views towards Ullswater fells. Moss Thorn, H/ S again. Patterdale Hall Estate, at southern end of Ullswater

Coniston  Braithwaite; right in the centre of the village.

Keswick. Shoulthwaite; H/S one of the very first CL's to open.

Silloth.  Horn House Fm, at Abbeytown, a gem in the far north of the Lakes.

Wigton  Throstle Hall, H/S, another in the north.

Takethedogalong replied on 13/05/2020 22:52

Posted on 13/05/2020 22:52

North York Moors

Ashfield Camp Site at Lockton

Fox and Rabbit near Pickering

Cliff Farm (ex CL, now a Private Site, very nice) again not far from Pickering.

richardandros replied on 14/05/2020 05:55

Posted on 14/05/2020 05:55

Not a CL - but a CS - and not quite on the North York Moors, but not far away - is Thornthorpe just outside Malton.  2 acres, some in an orchard with a stream running through it and a wonderful shower/toilet block.  Owners are lovely and it's our favourite spot for relaxing.

Another one is Deerholme Farm near Thornton Le Dale, just on the edge of Dalby Forest - mix of grass and hardstanding - and perfectly level.

Thebells - thanks for mentioning Low Hedgeley - we should be there now!!

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook