Leisure battery danger level

MikeDorset replied on 20/05/2021 19:47

Posted on 20/05/2021 19:47

We're new to caravanning and have a Swift, fitted with a 'Sargent EC' power control panel.  The manual for this states:

"Note: Do not over discharge the battery. One of the most common causes of battery failure is when the battery is discharged below the recommended level of approximately 10v. Discharging a battery below this figure can cause permanent damage to one or more of the cells within the battery."

... and yet there are any number of websites, online discussions and charts that say the danger level for a battery is somewhere between 11.3v and 12.0v.

Is the manual wrong?

Also, do plug in volt metres like the one in the photo work accurately for leisure batteries?

Thanks

Mike

Fozzie replied on 20/05/2021 20:54

Posted on 20/05/2021 20:54

I was under the impression the battery voltage should not drop below 12.0 volts but really a battery is potentially flat around 12.3.

At these levels the battery will easily recharge,continuous  discharge could cause sulphation  to the plates at around the voltage given in your manual.

I would only use the USB battery meter as an rough indication,for more accurate readings you should have a digital multimeter which will have an extra decimal point.

There is a  difference in battery measurement between 12.60 (which could be 12.59 rounded up )and 12.69 

SeasideBill replied on 21/05/2021 09:48

Posted on 21/05/2021 09:48

Battery at 10v doesn’t always mean the end. Weinsberg forgot to include a relay in the 12v supply to my fridge, so I had a couple of deep discharges before the penny dropped. Didn’t have enough volts to operate the central locking. Luckily the combination of a relatively new battery and quick recharge saved it. Three+ years in and the battery is still holding full charge.

commeyras replied on 21/05/2021 09:57

Posted on 21/05/2021 09:57

OP.  If you go into 'My Profile' you can give yourself a nice screenname! 

Re your battery question; it really is quite simple: anything over 12.7v battery is fine; below that the battery is at various states of needing charging and at 12v it is pretty flat.  At 10v I doubt if it would even allow a light to be turned on (ie really flat!).  A battery should be kept pretty well at full charge all the time.  In winter I remove mine and store it in my garage checking the reading every couple of weeks using a multi meter and putting on charge if necessary.  So in summery any reading below 12.6v and I would put my battery on charge.

hitchglitch replied on 21/05/2021 14:26

Posted on 21/05/2021 14:26

I believe the Sargent unit is a so called “smart” charger which means that on EHU the battery will be taken off-line and charged at up to 14.4 volts assuming you have a sealed battery. A standard charger floats at 13.8 volts - not enough to fully charge a discharged battery but not too much to damage it or the “12 volt” system.

Frankly, 10 volts and it’s as dead as a dodo and unlikely to recover. I would consider 12.3 volts to be the lowest to avoid the risk of reduced battery life.

ABM replied on 21/05/2021 15:43

Posted on 21/05/2021 15:43

A point about  Digital Meters if I may wink

Like all bits of 'kit' meters should be used with care & handled similarly.

To be absolutely sure of their accuracy they should be checked & calibrated annually BUT  they will give good service over many years without such expensive work only if they are treated with that care !!

Older style analogue meters need even more care & gentle handling.

I have an analogue multimeter which never leaves my premises, but is treated with kid gloves and is used purely to check on the digital meters at regular times.

If digital meters are mis-used they can be inaccurate to four places of decimals !!

MikeDorset replied on 21/05/2021 19:41

Posted on 21/05/2021 19:41

Thanks to all for the helpful replies - we clearly have much still to learn!

commeyras replied on 22/05/2021 07:50

Posted on 22/05/2021 07:50

Mike - that's better than a screenname!  Don't worry we all started sometime and you will get on top of this caravanning thing quickly.  If you have not yet been away in your caravan it is useful to go local site for a few days using everything in the caravan.  If you forget something you would not be too far from home.  Check lists for hitching up etc are in the Club handbook.  There are always many willing hands on site, and on this forum, to get help from and most, if not all, are only to willing to help.wink.  Most important is not to forget bottle opener and sense of humour!

ocsid replied on 23/05/2021 07:05

Posted on 23/05/2021 07:05

My take on this:

Our lead acid batteries age more if not kept fully charged, even more the deeper from fully charged they are and the longer they stay partly discharged.

So a rule of thumb is try and avoid them not being discharged or left there long, both the depth and duration getting progressively more damaging.

BIt of an issue, as using them so discharging them comes along with why we need them, but understanding the issue helps gets the best life from them.

Now differing technologies of build, the structure and materials [lead alloying], significantly alter how individual battery types cope with these damaging discharge issues, all battery types are far from equal.

Therefore, no one is going to be able to put a marker down about a certain level of voltage causing damage, its impact varies so much with type, but the ground rules always apply, the greater the depth of discharge and the longer there, harms all. 

Surfer replied on 23/05/2021 09:14

Posted on 23/05/2021 09:14

We have an AGM battery in our caravan and it has recovered from being down to 5v when i forgot to turn off the 12v mast switch.  Not sure if AGM had better recovery rate than a lead acid battery?

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook