Kitting out

Astro76 replied on 09/11/2017 16:15

Posted on 09/11/2017 16:15

Hi everyone.  I've had my caravan for just over a year now.  Over the last year, I've spent a fortune kitting out the van with all the creature comforts that I could want.

I'm talking TV, pots pans, dinner set, bedding, cleaning stuff, aqua roll, wastemaster, steps, awning, lights, switching the lighting to LED from halogen, reclining chairs...  the list goes on and on.

I've taken the time to make sure that I make use of the things that are in the van, and there's nothing there that's "just in case"  (fire extinguisher excluded)

What I've found over the last 12 months is that getting the things that make the time at the caravan the most relaxing has cost me loads of money.    I'm hoping that next year, will be much cheaper, as I have the stuff now, so it's more a case of enjoying what I have than kitting out for those little (and no so little) things that make for a great break.

I was wondering if other people have had similar experience and if it does indeed get cheaper now that I think I'm over the initial buying phases.

Bakers2 replied on 09/11/2017 16:26

Posted on 09/11/2017 16:26

We keep our motorhome in ready to go mode, just add clothes, footwear and perishable food from home fridge when we're off 😃.

Yes I does get cheaper no extras to buy once all sorted. You'll also find, like most of us there's a few items that don't get used so are removed and sold if you get yourself organised!

I would urge you to check your purchases keep you inside your payloads - very important especially with a motorhome.

Lastly I hope you've enjoyed your first year and you have many more to come 😆

Tinwheeler replied on 09/11/2017 16:29

Posted on 09/11/2017 16:29

I suspect most of us have built up our kit gradually, Astro, rather than splashing out all at once.

The answer to your question about whether it gets cheaper depends on whether you intend to carry on buying really. Only you can control that.

replied on 09/11/2017 16:41

Posted on 09/11/2017 16:41

After initial set up in 2005 when restarting after a two year break all that we have bought since has been replacement chairs, replacement toaster, replacement steps ......................... Oh yes, and a replacement caravan smile

huskydog replied on 09/11/2017 16:47

Posted on 09/11/2017 16:47

Going away in a caravan or motorhome is as cheap or as expensive as you want to make it , don't always look at caravan bespoke items ,think if an alternative item from home would be cheaper and just as good 

replied on 09/11/2017 17:10

Posted on 09/11/2017 17:10

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

Boff replied on 09/11/2017 17:10

Posted on 09/11/2017 17:10

All the stuff you need, is why caravans have such a enormous payload frown   It does get cheaper as you can sell the junk you bought last year to fund to buy the junk this year. 

huskydog replied on 09/11/2017 17:14

Posted on 09/11/2017 17:10 by

I would think the worst is over especially if you keep away from Caravan shows and accessory shops but I really dont believe in borrowing from the house if it can be avoided, after over 20 years we just bought a teapot specially for the van after finding ourselves in France without  .and that had been the only item being borrowed, 

Posted on 09/11/2017 17:14

Yes your right ,I meant buying a home item not borrowing,but I didn't word it that well 

cyberyacht replied on 09/11/2017 17:22

Posted on 09/11/2017 17:22

Having recently switched from caravan to MH, we did splurge a bit at the NEC last month. A lot of the minor stuff came from the caravan but it is surprising how the list of bits and bobs mounts up. There are a couple more things but they will probably wait until the Spring to give the plastic time to catch its breath.

replied on 09/11/2017 17:30

Posted on 09/11/2017 17:10 by

I would think the worst is over especially if you keep away from Caravan shows and accessory shops but I really dont believe in borrowing from the house if it can be avoided, after over 20 years we just bought a teapot specially for the van after finding ourselves in France without  .and that had been the only item being borrowed, 

Posted on 09/11/2017 17:30

I do not believe in borrowing from the home. The only thing that I transfer is stuff from fridge, some trousers and jackets (always at least a pair of jeans and another pair in the 'van). I keep underwear, shaving gear, beard trimmer, electric tooth brush, toiletries, tee shirts and sweat shirts in the caravan along with a few tinned products.

We do not go away at the drop of a hat these days, When I did all I would pick up from home was fridge contents.   

Takethedogalong replied on 09/11/2017 17:44

Posted on 09/11/2017 17:44

We never ever buy "Caravan/motorhome" specific stuff from dealers, as usually it is so overpriced. If you are handy at DIY or with a needle you can save hundreds of pounds on stuff. We like to travel light as well, can't be doing with too much clutter. Have got all we need, pots, pans, bedding for both MH and Caravan, collected down the years, always ready to roll! We still use a 30+ year old camping pan set, super lightweight in our caravan, packs up into itself including colander! laughing

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook