Just how much water does your motorhome drink

snafu2105 replied on 27/02/2018 17:27

Posted on 27/02/2018 17:27

Hi we are new "Vaners" having taken the plunge after several years of nearly but not quite buying one. We had our first adventure in "Betty" our 2011 Mondial EL at Coniston Park Coppice CMC site. What a gem, if other CMC sites are anything like this we are hooked.

Being our first time it was lots of remembering what the nice man at Todds said and reading the quick start guide by head torch, having worked out how to open the filler cap on the water tank we filled it until it poured out.

After hooking up and reading the guide a bit more, realised that we needed to purge the system and fill the boiler, which following a few rude noises, mostly from the taps it successfully started to run water out of the taps, shower and we even got hot water.

Then it went bang, or should I say Beep Beep Beep.......... a little red light appeared on the gauge and every time the pump was turned on Beep Beep Beep......Nothing in the book, nothing on the web, (internet on camp don't tell the kids).

I assume that the Beep Beep Beep....is a low water alarm, however having assumed we'd filled the tank to the brim I'm worried that it may be a dodgy sensor, but I'm not sure how much it takes to fill the system and boiler for the first time.

Does anyone have any advice for a Newby :-)

JVB66 replied on 27/02/2018 17:44

Posted on 27/02/2018 17:44

I think your camper has a fresh water tank holds 66ltr? the water heater could hold 10ltr + what you ran through the system to fill it could take several ltrs so it could be the water level sensor is faulty,

replied on 27/02/2018 17:52

Posted on 27/02/2018 17:52

typical flow rates in UK 20 litres per minute (according to google). Some sites that I have been have been less and filling 60 litres could seem a long wait on a cold day when the running water makes one think of the loo sealed

young thomas replied on 27/02/2018 18:01

Posted on 27/02/2018 18:01

Firstly, I'm sure you're right, a rogue sensor....common as air....on Swift vehicles they are usually a series of different length rods, representing empty (probably 25%) and one for half, 3/4 and full...

however, they are notorious for failing, getting dirty or calcified from hard water etc etc....

somewhere you should be able to turn off the annoying beep, probably on the Sargent PSU frm memory...at least this will stop it driving you mad...

If you've filled the tank, that's around 70ltr on a panel van and i would just ignore it and keep using it until it runs out, just to give you an idea of how long it will last.

you could try filling again...this will verify that the tank isn't anywhere near empty.

you can also look inside the fresh tank if there is an inspection hatch, some had them.

you can clean the rods (or get dealer to do it) by lifting out the small unit in the tank, you'll see it, it has a few wires connected ....

most folk use somewhere between 10 and 20 ltrs a day so you should be able to last 3 or four days, depending on whether you're using the van or site shower.

good luck.

Tinwheeler replied on 27/02/2018 18:39

Posted on 27/02/2018 18:39

Another vote here for an inaccurate/faulty tank gauge sensor. They are certainly notorious.

snafu2105 replied on 27/02/2018 21:21

Posted on 27/02/2018 21:21

Thanks to everyone for the replies. I'm starting to get the feeling its probably a faulty sensor, looks like I'm getting the tool box out.

Fisherman replied on 28/02/2018 12:02

Posted on 28/02/2018 12:02

WhenI fill ing from the tap, after the tank shows 25% I switch on the pump to fill the Heater tank. Then continue filling until the pump stops. We find we have enough for washing and loo rinsing for 3 days or so. Always use bottles for fresh water.

DavidKlyne replied on 28/02/2018 14:50

Posted on 28/02/2018 14:50

As BB suggests look for an access cover into the tank, most have them. If the tank is full I would agree that it points to a faulty level sensor. However, if having filled the tank but on inspection the tank is empty it might suggest a drain plug has been left open, especially at this time of year? Best to connect the hose again and start filling and then see that happens through the inspection cover. Good luck.

David

jennyc replied on 01/03/2018 19:47

Posted on 01/03/2018 19:47

Yes to the sensor comments, but no to low water usage estimates advised above. Your water consumption will depend very much on your camping style. We tend not to use central site facilities for washing up, showering etc, which means that people who enjoy similar independence, sometimes in basic CLs will need over 25litres/day. You wouldn’t be the first motorhomer to top up daily from a barrel, should you chose to. But if you take the motorhome off site exploring every day, then you may well chose to top up on your return every day.

It tends to be the case that people who are new to recreational vehicles, forget that they aren’t at home and leave taps running full bore while washing teeth etc. Barrel refilling duties are a good cure for such profligacy, as is chemical toilet emptying for excessive flushers and avoiders of public loos. Finding a balance which works for you is one of the pleasures of camping/ caravanning/ motorhoming in all of its variants.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook