Jockey Wheels

HappyDoggie replied on 07/05/2019 06:55

Posted on 07/05/2019 06:55

We have had our first run in our van and experienced the difficulty of moving with a motor mover on a hard surface of cinders with the hard plastic jockey wanting to dig in.

I went on a club towing course where this subject was mentioned and the advice was to get an inflatable wheel which would roll over cinders more easily. I have subsequently been advised a gel wheel is better as inflatables go flat.

Any advice?

rutlandwarrior replied on 07/05/2019 07:34

Posted on 07/05/2019 07:34

Over the years we have tried every type of wheel going and they all have their faults. The inflatable type is by far the smoothest but as you have been advised they don't last long, I think the problem with the jockey is it is too small and on loose ground if not pointing in the right direction at the start of travel it will tend to crab.

SteveL replied on 07/05/2019 07:43

Posted on 07/05/2019 07:43

I would certainly go for one over the inflatable type. They do have a horrible habit of going flat at the most inconvienient time, usually when it is tipping down with rain. The problem we found is that both the tyres and inner tubes were very cheap and nasty and easily perished. When we used one we always carried a back up plastic one we could insert. Many inflatables are also a larger diameter and depending on the type of jockey can catch on road humps and similar. 

Our preference was for the Alko hitch weighing version of the jockey. This had a wider hardish rubber rimmed steel wheel, which could be easily removed if clearance was a problem. The suspension effect of the weighing system also stopped it digging in so much on soft gravel. Only problem is the price and it weighs more than the conventional type. It is however very well made and durable, so much better able to take the strain of power moving.

paul56 replied on 07/05/2019 08:54

Posted on 07/05/2019 08:54

Or you could just persevere - I do understand what happened and it has to us, but very rarely. A motor mover does help. 

Trini replied on 07/05/2019 12:41

Posted on 07/05/2019 12:41

We have an Alko pneumatic wheel which does suit the motor mover very well on both grass and on gravel.

Before we have tried cheap pneumatic ones and as they dont inflate to as high a pressure as the Alko they do deflect easily.

We check the pressures before each trip away for the jockey wheel and the van tyres.

A friend gave us another Alko wheel which we carry incase of a puncture

compass362 replied on 07/05/2019 16:32

Posted on 07/05/2019 06:55 by HappyDoggie

We have had our first run in our van and experienced the difficulty of moving with a motor mover on a hard surface of cinders with the hard plastic jockey wanting to dig in.

I went on a club towing course where this subject was mentioned and the advice was to get an inflatable wheel which would roll over cinders more easily. I have subsequently been advised a gel wheel is better as inflatables go flat.

Any advice?

Posted on 07/05/2019 16:32

Speak of the devil...... Yesterday went over to storage to check caravan over prior to our first trip out this year (Sunday) and yep the jockey wheel tyre is flat.

It was OK when van was serviced by engineer early April  , no problem took it off brought it home & ordered 2 new tubes which should arrive tomorrow..... & yes it's well worth the hassle I wouldn't use any other type  , excellent for deep gravel HS pitches works really well when on the mover.

I've kept the one that came one the caravan but would only use it if we had a issue while away. 👍

HappyDoggie replied on 08/05/2019 17:54

Posted on 08/05/2019 17:54

Many thanks for the advice. I may plump for an inflatable and keep the current plastic one on board to switch back to should it go flat whilst on a site.

lornalou1 replied on 08/05/2019 20:47

Posted on 08/05/2019 20:47

what about the solid rubber ones, they are supposed to be better as well as the standard fit ones.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/Maypole-MP228-Caravan-Trailer-Spare-Jockey-Steel-Wheel-Solid-Rubber-Tyre-200mm/2019860091?iid=263936772411

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook