Jockey Wheels with Nose gauge

gatewaya89 replied on 30/10/2017 13:21

Posted on 30/10/2017 13:21

Hi All

Picking up a new caravan in Jan 2018 and was of the mind to ask dealer to fit one of those jockey wheels which also have the nose gauge indicator on them, Was wondering has anyone fitted one and if so they any good? and do they save time? or are they just a waste of time & money?

await replies thanks all!

dmiller555 replied on 30/10/2017 14:02

Posted on 30/10/2017 14:02

A nose gauge is something that I used quite frequently at first but as I got to know how to load our caravan to achieve the correct nose weight I used it less, in fact hardly ever. 

commeyras replied on 30/10/2017 15:18

Posted on 30/10/2017 15:18

Unless you can get it for free don't bother.  Bathroom scales and a piece of wood under the hook probably more accurate.  I load my caravan the same way each time so have a pretty good idea of the noseweight - I aim for 90kgs + (my max allowed is 100kgs)

gatewaya89 replied on 30/10/2017 15:39

Posted on 30/10/2017 15:39

Hi All

So general feeling is waste of time then? we do own the yellow milenco one and as you say tend not to use it so much but thought with new van may be worth investing in?

JVB66 replied on 30/10/2017 16:41

Posted on 30/10/2017 16:41

We have one, and have found that depending on how long a tour we are on, affects the way the c/van gets loaded,they it also seems better when manoeuvring as it is wider and the spring tends to make a smoother ride.

They are quite heavy so we always carry it in the van when traveling

SteveL replied on 30/10/2017 17:31

Posted on 30/10/2017 17:31

We have an Alko one fitted. It is much better constructed, has a wider wheel and also acts as suspension when moving the van with the power mover. As a result it puts a lot less strain on both the jockey and the hitch when manovering the van, particularly in the deep gravel where we store it.

The above were  the main reason we bought it. It is a bonus that it also displays load on the hitch.

In answer to your question, if you only want it for the weighing aspect, it is probably not worth the money.

JohnM20 replied on 31/10/2017 12:20

Posted on 31/10/2017 12:20

Although I have a noseweight gauge I have always felt that the bathroom scale and piece of wood method is more accurate. However, and thinking about the jockey wheel noseweight system, couldn't I just put the existing jockey wheel onto the bathroom scales and not bother about the bit of wood that could quite easily damage the stabiliser pads if the wood is located in the hitch? The reading, I think, should show less as the jockey wheel is nearer to the caravan wheels but if I know what the equivalent weight should be, (eg 90kg at the hitch = 87kg at the jockey wheel), then it should be an easier and quite accurate method.

Anyone got any scientific thoughts that either proves or disproves this theory / idea?

replied on 31/10/2017 13:35

Posted on 31/10/2017 13:35

I use scales method. I don't put the wooden 'stick' in the cup of the hitch but on the flat area behind. Makes the reading a bit lower but probably only 2kg at most if say 3'' behind cup. I would not wish to place under jockey wheel as it seems more faff.

DSB replied on 31/10/2017 22:31

Posted on 31/10/2017 22:31

I've always used a separate Millenco guage which always appeared to have good reviews.  I did read that the integrated Alko jockey wheel guage got less accurate with use.

David 

jennyc replied on 01/11/2017 05:34

Posted on 01/11/2017 05:34

We bought one from Towsure, which indicated the weight, in coloured bands, just beneath the crank handle. It broke almost immediately, and so did the replacement. So while it’s obviously much easier to use than some of the above suggestions, it wasn’t fit for purpose. The market leader for portable nose weight gauges is the Milenco, which being light and compact, is probably the next best thing to a dedicated fixture such as weighing jockey wheels.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook