It's ok to call us mad!

trevorstretch replied on 27/03/2016 16:40

Posted on 27/03/2016 16:40

my wife and I are completely nuts!! Neither of us have done caravaning before, but we decided it would be good idea!!! So we bought one last November, it has been in storage since buying, although I did fetch it a week ago just to clean it inside and have good look through it etc, but nothing major. next Saturday we are away, going into Europe for six months!! we get the caravan on Tuesday and have booked into a site locally to us, as we need to find out how it all works!!!

not a glue on how to top up water tank have looked on YouTube and bought a Aqua roll and hose,

also bought waste master,

not even sure how electrics work or turn on!

cooker no glue

fridge not a glue

awning no never put one those up.

central heating !!!!!

setting up satallite tv should be fun!

got a weight gauge for towing weight think I understand it!! But problerly in practise I don't.

i spent 20 years motor racing towing trailers all over Europe behind a merc 5008 van so ok on that score.

yes so feel free to call us mad.

having said everything above I'm sure when we get on site we will get plenty of advise from fellow caravaners.

our first stop after crossing the channel is La Rochelle ! Six hour drive!

so if you are staying in campsite near Wallingford next week look out for us !!! And La Rochelle from next Saturday.

so defiantly going in at the deep end. So yes we are mad. I will keep you up to date how we get on.

any advise gratefully received ! 

replied on 27/03/2016 16:54

Posted on 27/03/2016 16:54

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

trevorstretch replied on 27/03/2016 18:35

Posted on 27/03/2016 18:35

Thanks David very helpful, we have just bought merc e220 cdi also, so interested to hear how yours tow as not towed with it yet!!  thought your web site very helpful Thanks,

EmilysDad replied on 27/03/2016 20:21

Posted on 27/03/2016 20:21

..... I don't even know how to use tv remote !!!

because men rarely get the chance to practice as it's normally down the side of the couch/chair where SWMBO sits Sealed

Wildwood replied on 27/03/2016 20:29

Posted on 27/03/2016 20:29

Not sure what you have got but good luck and if you ask for help you will find most caravanners only too willing to help. 

If the caravan is from an existing builder and you have no handbook try their web site and you might get one. If no luck there try and see if there is a club for that firm and you should get help there.

replied on 28/03/2016 08:44

Posted on 28/03/2016 08:44

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

Pippah45 replied on 28/03/2016 09:33

Posted on 28/03/2016 09:33

You may want to take advice about the gas supply for touring Calor doesn't cut it over the channel - no places to refill I understand.   I have a Safefill and two euro converters so I can fill in Europe but as yet I haven't needed to refill overseas.  Others will know more. 

Be gentle with the motor mover - my first attempt resulted in a branch penetrating the caravan! (luckily only the front locker bit!)  I was watching the garage door not the tree trunk! 

No you aren't mad - unless most of us are!  Adventure is good! 

DSB replied on 28/03/2016 09:50

Posted on 28/03/2016 09:50

All sounds very exciting, trevorstretch.  Check everything out on your UK outing first.  Take on board what has been said about using Calor in Europe. 

You really ought to get electric hook up lead converters - your lead may not fit some of the european electric hook up bollards, so get a converter from your local caravan stockists - it's a very short lead that plugs into the end of your electric cable converting it in order to connect to some european bollards.  Also a similar short lead with UK plugs with reversed neutral and live wired on one of the plugs, in case you find a electric bollard with reversed polarity.

David

SteveL replied on 28/03/2016 12:44

Posted on 28/03/2016 12:44

..... I don't even know how to use tv remote !!!

because men rarely get the chance to practice as it's normally down the side of the couch/chair where SWMBO sits Sealed

not in our house it's not

lookng forward to hearing how you get on, trevorstretch.  We had so "interesting" experiences when "newbies" but practice improves your skills!

trevorstretch replied on 29/03/2016 19:15

Posted on 29/03/2016 19:15

So we arrived on site at 1430, at 1600 we were seriously struggling with the awning, guy from across the way came to our aid just as it started to pour down, we managed to get it up to an OK standard but by no means perfect, we threaded the rubber beading through the channeling!!!!! Will redo it tomorrow now we know, we cannot get gas to cooker have played with all combinations but nothing, cyl is new, but nothing!!!! Again sort in morning, guess cold tea in morning, filled and connected water hog but no water! Found but ten saying pump pressed it no nothing!!!!!!! So no water no cooker, fridge works so testing temp of wine we put in earlier, !!! Let you know how we get on tomorrow.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook