How much gas will I need?

Andrew and Sarah replied on 29/05/2016 17:46

Posted on 29/05/2016 17:46

Hi, we are new members and complete novices, hiring a motorhome for the first time this summer to spend approximately 18 days touring in Europe, staying at CC sites at each stop. The Autotrail Cheyenne 660 will be equipped with two full gas canisters by our very friendly hirer. Will that be ample/OK/not enough for two adults? We do a fair bit of cooking and both like a shower at least once a day, but will make use f the electric hook up at each CC site. If insufficent, whats's the best solution: are we better to take another canister, buy a conversion valve for European usage or any other solution we don't know about?! Thanks in advance for helping two eager novices! Andrew and Sarah  

replied on 29/05/2016 18:25

Posted on 29/05/2016 18:25

If, as you say you are going to use the site electricity 2 cylinders should be more than ample. You should be able to use the hot water on electric and the fridge. So, the only thing to use gas will be the cooker and if you used a barbeque that might use some extra. But, you should be okay.

I am going away to germany for 3 weeks and I have about 7kg of gas and I reckon that will be enough.

Enjoy you time abroad.

AlanAlde53 replied on 29/05/2016 18:30

Posted on 29/05/2016 18:30

Hello Andrew and Sarah

We are currently in France for 9 weeks and are only carrying 6kg of gas and we expect to take most of it home. If you are always on electric it is surprising how little you use even with the oven being used most evenings. I would expect your consumption to be less than 2kg. If however you stay where there is no electric then others will be along soon to advise 

Andrew and Sarah replied on 29/05/2016 18:35

Posted on 29/05/2016 18:35

Thanks Ian and Alan, really helpful and kind of you both to reply so quickly.Sounds like we will be fine! Well, at least on the gas front anyway! Happy

Tinwheeler replied on 29/05/2016 18:59

Posted on 29/05/2016 18:59

Hello Andrew and Sarah

We are currently in France for 9 weeks and are only carrying 6kg of gas and we expect to take most of it home. If you are always on electric it is surprising how little you use even with the oven being used most evenings. I would expect your consumption to be less than 2kg. If however you stay where there is no electric then others will be along soon to advise

It's quite true 'Alan' that using EHU whenever possible makes gas last a long time. A bottle lasts us for years.

DavidKlyne replied on 30/05/2016 07:35

Posted on 30/05/2016 07:35

In Europe you won't tend to get the high ampage that you get in the UK, except perhaps in Germany. This means that you might have to supplement electrical usage with gas. However for 18 days I expect you would have more than enough gas to cope and will probably return home with at least one full cylinder.

David

replied on 30/05/2016 08:11

Posted on 30/05/2016 08:11

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

thebroons replied on 30/05/2016 09:04

Posted on 30/05/2016 09:04

We recently spent 5 days off grid in our m/h and luckily had nice weather so only used the gas for cooking , fridge and hot water. We only used 5 litres of gas so you will have plenty in reserve. 

Tirril replied on 30/05/2016 09:12

Posted on 30/05/2016 09:12

We used a site for 2 weeks each Aug for many years without an EHU. We consistently found that a 6kg of Calor last exactly 2 weeks. The main consumer was the fridge with a smaller amount for cooking and we heated the water when required rather than leaving it permanently on. As you are using a motor home which will run the fridge when travelling plus EHUs during the evenings/nights I would be surprised if you used even one cylinder assuming it is the usual 6kg.

replied on 30/05/2016 13:55

Posted on 30/05/2016 13:55

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

jennyc replied on 31/05/2016 12:37

Posted on 31/05/2016 12:37

I can't imagine that you will run out of gas, especially since there are so many summer salads and 'picking' foods like good cheese, fresh bread dipped in olive oil, continental sausages etc to eat.  BUT, for a 100% feeling of security you might like to consider our own solution which is a Camping Gaz bottle to supplement your bigger and cheaper to fill UK bottle. Buy an adaptor to fit the Gaz, converting it to your UK pigtail, but use your UK gas first. If you do run out then you have a refillable backup. Our BBQ is fitted with a quick release gas connector, and we have a matching regulator/ adapt or for Gaz, so the lightweight Gaz bottle will serve for days out, away from the van if we chose, either in the UK or abroad.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook