How long does Battery last?

Becanna replied on 07/04/2017 22:18

Posted on 07/04/2017 22:18

Not entirely newbies but new to holidaying without facilities.  Can anyone advise how many days the battery is likely to last without generator?

Johnny57 replied on 08/04/2017 07:40

Posted on 08/04/2017 07:40

Hi Becanna
There is a lot of useful info regarding staying on non ehu sites in this post https://www.caravanclub.co.uk/club-together/discussions/welcome-hobby-talk/tips-for-making-caravanning-touring-cheaper/how-to-survive-a-non-240v-ehu-site/ and if you ask your question there are helpful members who will help.
See also our webpage on this subject may give you some ideas! http://newtongrove.co.uk/how-to-survive-without-a-240v-ehu/
Newton Grove CL – on the edge of the beautiful village of South Newington in North Oxfordshire (North Cotswolds)- for members of the Caravan and Motorhome Club only
Read the reviews or look at the photos.
Number 1273 p440 in the 2017/18 Sites Directory
John Clifton
NEWTON GROVE, Barford Road, South Newington, BANBURY, OX15 4LN
E: newton.grove@btconnect.com
P: 07722 918265
W: newtongrove.co.uk

ChrisRogers replied on 08/04/2017 08:15

Posted on 08/04/2017 08:15

Away on a 2 night rally in January below freezing, with Alde heating on all the time 12v circulation pump, LED lights, Fri & Sat eve TV usage 8 hrs, Avtex (uses just under 3amps), still had power left in the battery (110amp). However, I normally use a 150w solar panel and just had 4 nights away in April, battery charged at the end of stay, 12 nights last July no problem. Solar panels are the way to go off grid. Of course you do use more gas.

ChrisRogers replied on 08/04/2017 09:55

Posted on 08/04/2017 09:55

Becanna Re my last post, a basic CL beginning of this month (April) just a water tap and toilet empty point, that's all we need, gas and solar power.

TonyBurton replied on 08/04/2017 15:37

Posted on 08/04/2017 15:37

The answer is like the question, “ How long is a piece of string?”. The time taken to discharge a battery varies according to the length of time and the size of the load you put on it. For example our caravan 12v TV is rated at 36watts. In theory it will draw 3 amps at 12volts. So if all we did was watch tv then our 115 Ampere hour battery would last for 38 hours. That’s 7 days at 4 hours TV a day! But what about all the other items running on your 12v supply? Are they led lights or old fashioned filament types? What is their current drain? What about the gas heater? Does it use a 12v fan to expel the exhaust? Does it use a fan to blow the warm air? How much current do the fan’s use? Then there’s the water pump. Presumably you’ll only use it occasionally. And lastly would you use the mover to position the caravan on site? I think they draw around 20 amps. Will you hope to use the mover when you leave the site? That would not be a good time to find the battery is too low! You mention the use of a generator. I think most people who go off grid for a long time opt for solar panels. They are silent and more environmentally friendly. My best advice is just go for it. Keep an eye on the battery voltage if youo can  and don’t use too much TV or lighting.

ABM replied on 08/04/2017 15:44

Posted on 08/04/2017 09:21 by JVB66

Get a solar panel, as above post 

Posted on 08/04/2017 15:44

No  No  No  --  get  the  extra  battery,  as  large  as  you  can  manage  &  get  an  Exercise  bike  to  drive  a  high  output  alternator  and  the  jobs  a   gudun  winklaughing  ( Especially  if  you  can  get  a  Fitness  on  Site  Club  going   !! money-mouthsurprised )

hitchglitch replied on 08/04/2017 17:59

Posted on 08/04/2017 17:59

In the days before caravans had fitted batteries you would hook up to the car and be OK for several days before needing to take the car for a run to charge its battery. Of course, there were no TVs and other modern power consumers but it is still possible to go several days if you are frugal with power usage, particularly if you have LED lights.

If you take a battery charger with you then I am sure you can get the proprietor to charge the battery for you whilst you run off of the car.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook