House insurance

BJCJ replied on 24/05/2017 22:25

Posted on 24/05/2017 22:25

I mentioned to a neighbour that we were planning our first extended trip in our motorhome and he said, " Check your house insurance policy. If the house is unoccupied for more than a few weeks the cover will be reduced."

I did - and he seems to be correct. If we leave the house unoccupied for more than 45 days most of the important covers will not apply - even if we have notified the insurance company in advance. A bit of Googling shows that this is a common feature; all that varies is the stated period (30-60 days).

Surely all you motorhomers/caravaners who disappear for months at a time aren't leaving your homes with very little cover?

ValDa replied on 24/05/2017 22:43

Posted on 24/05/2017 22:43

Usually people get someone to spend some time (ideally an overnight) in their home within the time periods specified, so that the property becomes 'occupied'.  My son does that for us, and spends some time in our house whilst we are away because there are some nice dog walks nearby.

If you're really worried then you can take our 'Unoccupied property insurance' and the cost will depend on the length of time, the area you live in, the type of property, the value, and the amount of 'risk'.

HillClimb replied on 24/05/2017 22:47

Posted on 24/05/2017 22:47

BJCJ - yes you are right it is important to know what your policy allows and to comply absolutely with the literal policy wording and the "spirit of the policy" (we suffered a disaster a few years ago and feared the insurer would try to dispute liability - but we had complied with our policy so every was OK in the end).

I suggest you take a look at the Home Insurance policy provided via here, the Caravan and Motorhome Club https://www.caravanclub.co.uk/insurance/other-insurance/home-insurance/?ref=top_nav&id=insurance_home   their policy allows for up to 90 days absence

KjellNN replied on 25/05/2017 08:58

Posted on 25/05/2017 08:58

There are providers out there, like others, we have gone with the C&CC policy.

If you go with one who has a shorter unoccupied period and plan to get a relative to stay every so often, do check how long that stay has to be to restart the clock, some require as much as a 5 night stay.

N1805 replied on 25/05/2017 09:46

Posted on 25/05/2017 09:46

Varying length of house insurance cover provided by different companies seems to be the norm so as with all insurance its best to check T & C’s carefully.  Recently read an article saying Insurance Premium Tax is to increase next month.  Article specifically mentioned increases to average comprehensive motor insurance policies being increased for 18-20yr olds & over 65yr olds.  Something to watch I guess on all insurance policies from that date to see if there is any noticeable difference.

BJCJ replied on 30/05/2017 13:55

Posted on 30/05/2017 13:55

Thanks for the responses and the very useful advice.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook