Hook up and leave at 2am or not

newtocaravaning19 replied on 03/08/2021 09:50

Posted on 03/08/2021 09:50

hi, 

Sorry if this is a daft question. I'm new to caravanning!

I'm setting off to Cornwall this week and want to leave at 2am to miss most of the traffic. 

Ideally id like to hook it up to the car on the drive, removing the wheel locks. That way when i get the family up to go at 2am when can jump in the car and set off without any hassle or messing about hooking up. 

if the van and car are locked is this safe to do so for a few hours or would people not recommend?

what does everyone else do when setting off in the middle of the night?

thanks in advance. 

D

Metheven replied on 03/08/2021 09:59

Posted on 03/08/2021 09:59

Although not having done this myself time wise, I see nothing wrong in doing what you plan. My only thing I would do to ensure safety is to recheck the 'hookup' is still secure, walk around the van for security rather than jump in the car and go.

Trailer to car security and light check is always top of the list just before driving away from home or site.

SteveL replied on 03/08/2021 10:01

Posted on 03/08/2021 10:01

Never left at that sort of time. However, I would have thought whatever devices your insurance requires for storage at your property would still need to be in place. Possibly wheel lock, hitch lock.  Certainly some policies require these to be fitted if leaving unattended at services.

Tinwheeler replied on 03/08/2021 10:10

Posted on 03/08/2021 10:10

Added to that, only you can assess the risk where you live as you know the area. 

Whittakerr replied on 03/08/2021 10:15

Posted on 03/08/2021 10:15

Oooo. Reading the title i thought this was going to about leaving site at 2.00am. I was looking forward to reading peoples comments on that proposal.cry

DSB replied on 03/08/2021 10:21

Posted on 03/08/2021 10:21

We've done a similar thing in the dim and distant past, but can't recall ever having got as far as going to sleep before setting out, so lights have been on, curtains open, activity around the house... so in these circumstances a thief probably wouldn't have bothered!  ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

David

brue replied on 03/08/2021 10:42

Posted on 03/08/2021 10:42

"When I get the family up at 2am" Good luck with that one! laughing We've done it in the past and also stayed hitched on sites for quick overnight stops. No problems. Have a safe journey. smile

replied on 03/08/2021 12:59

Posted on 03/08/2021 12:59

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

Bakers2 replied on 03/08/2021 13:15

Posted on 03/08/2021 13:15

As Deleted User User suggests could you not leave on the Friday evening, once everyone is ready and stop a couple of times when convenient or book a CL, a bit late now, where you can arrive late and head off early or even delay arriving until the Sunday?

It's quite a long way to tow, on what I expect will be busy roads, especially with all the staycations happening, making the journey part if your holiday. If you're new to caravanning you're probably thinking 'solo' type driving. Making the journey part of the holiday is less stressful and more holiday, exciting fr younger children too. Easy to say when you're retired and no time pressures- but might be worth considering for coming back and future holidays.

Do let us know how you get on and enjoy yourselves. ๐Ÿ™‚

Rocky 2 buckets replied on 03/08/2021 13:52

Posted on 03/08/2021 09:50 by newtocaravaning19

hi, 

Sorry if this is a daft question. I'm new to caravanning!

I'm setting off to Cornwall this week and want to leave at 2am to miss most of the traffic. 

Ideally id like to hook it up to the car on the drive, removing the wheel locks. That way when i get the family up to go at 2am when can jump in the car and set off without any hassle or messing about hooking up. 

if the van and car are locked is this safe to do so for a few hours or would people not recommend?

what does everyone else do when setting off in the middle of the night?

thanks in advance. 

D

Posted on 03/08/2021 13:52

Excellent idea, I’ve done that many times from East Yorkshire to Newquay. Calm, quiet easy driving too. It’s far better than getting stuck in the horrendous guaranteed jams in high Summer. No one ‘needs’ to catch up on lost sleep it will happen naturally. You will not get to your destination stressed it’s a good plan.

PS-Tinwheeler is a Cornishman that’s really well travelled & he often suggests not getting caught up in the mayhem of the road to Cornwall๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป

Rufs replied on 03/08/2021 14:28

Posted on 03/08/2021 14:28

"We used to go to Scotland that way and use campsite at Tebay M6 (unfortunately no longer there) but it broke the back of the journey. "

web site still seems to be very active laughing

"Our Caravan Park at Tebay Northbound is open from March to October."

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook