Help! My jockey wheel as pitched forward!

Rosie Rabbit replied on 26/05/2017 13:33

Posted on 26/05/2017 13:33

Need help quickly. I was setting up for the motor mover and had the steadies up (mistake).

My jocket wheel was set in a steel dish to stop it sinking into the grass I tried to lift it up to remove the dish from uderneath and it pitched forward! In a panic - what do I do?

huskydog replied on 26/05/2017 13:37

Posted on 26/05/2017 13:37

First wind the steadies down, then Just unwind the red lever until the clamp falls apart ,take out the jockey wheel , and replace the jockey wheel higher up in the clamp  , hope it makes sense   

Rosie Rabbit replied on 26/05/2017 13:48

Posted on 26/05/2017 13:48

Thank you so much Huskydog - I thought I had broken it. The steadies are down they are about 8 inches from the grass at the front and about 19 inches at the back. So as long as they are down but uneven is it still OK to the jockey wheel thing? I've taken the motor mover switch out, but I still have the wheels engaged with the rollers. Will that be an extra brake so to speak?

replied on 26/05/2017 13:49

Posted on 26/05/2017 13:49

Wimmin? What are they like Husky wink

replied on 26/05/2017 13:54

Posted on 26/05/2017 13:54

You only need to drop front steadies rosie so that you can slacken clamp. However I am at a loss to understand why you could not have tightened the red clamp. Wound jockey wheel to raise caravan nose, extended front steadies and wound jockey wheel up to remove bowl. 

Mind I am a fella so daft. laughing

Tinwheeler replied on 26/05/2017 13:56

Posted on 26/05/2017 13:56

As long as the weight is taken by the steadies you'll be able to play with the jockey wheel. Having the van near level will give more stability but the mover rollers engaged with the wheels will provide a braking effect (assuming they are adjusted properly). Engage the handbrake as well.

replied on 26/05/2017 13:57

Posted on 26/05/2017 13:57

Wind those rear legs up rosie before you mess about otherwise you cannot raise front of 'van

Alan

Rosie Rabbit replied on 26/05/2017 15:32

Posted on 26/05/2017 15:32

LOL! I have a feeling I am going to be on here quite a lot and keeping you all entertained!

I shot a little video going around the entire caravan showing all points of interest. Then I drove to the dealer where I bought it from (Sussex Caravan Centre, Ashington - cannot praise these people enough) played it to them and they told me to -

Raise the back steadies (as you said)

Keep the clamp tight and wind the jockey wheel up - i think he said clockwise - is that right?. Eventually the front steadies will also come up, then I can do the levelling thing.

I am not touching anything else until my friend comes tomorrow to help me move it to storage (that's a whole new story too!)

Thank you again everyone. I look forward to the day when I can actually give advice back. The only thing I can advise now is where to get pretty battery operated fairy lights for the interior.

commeyras replied on 26/05/2017 16:30

Posted on 26/05/2017 16:30

Rosie.  As I said on your post about access, I am fairly local to you and when I get back from my long trip in July I would be happy to come and run through any problems/questions you may have.   Where are you going to store your caravan; not easy to find in this area.

Rosie Rabbit replied on 26/05/2017 17:45

Posted on 26/05/2017 17:45

Hi comeyras.

Thank you for that, much appreciated. The compound is here

https://www.caravanclub.co.uk/certificated-locations/england/west-sussex/pulborough/upper-chancton-farm/

The very nice lady owner showed me around today, quite a few caravans stored there. She also mentioned somewhere in Steyning but that was hard to get into apparently - I'll get the name from her when we take the caravan up tomorrow.

Where are you off to on your travels?

BTW I thought my last post had gone through, but got the steadies now back on a somewhat even keel!

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook