Going Solo Newbie - Am I Mad?

ScreenName1C1A3D1078 replied on 25/05/2020 21:22

Posted on 25/05/2020 21:22

Hi Everyone, I have read earlier newbie posts and the helpful replies so won't ask same questions. But I have a slightly different situation - I have owned a caravan from new many years ago but my then husband did all the technical stuff. I am a confident driver, will do the courses but understandably lacking in confidence if I can now do all this on my ownundecided. Buying a new van is not an option, my budget is below £8k and want a smallish 4 berth probably with fixed bed rather than 2 berth?. I have got a damp meter and understand pro's and con's of private v. dealer. 

Am I being practical to think I can spend several months (in both winter and summer) living away in the van whilst working in the area? I think certified sites may be my best bet and hoping fees would average £100ish on average? I would also hope to start venturing onto the continent after a while. I love the attraction of the freedom it gives but its a lot to take on board on your own - honest but encouraging feedback welcome please.... 

stephen p replied on 30/05/2020 10:09

Posted on 30/05/2020 10:09

I hate to see a post from a new caravaner not being answered but I think the stumbling block is the encouraging bit.

Caravan club sites are, I believe, supposed to be for leisure purposes so working from site might not strictly be within the rules. I have however been on plenty of sites that, particularly off season, are filled with workers living in their vans.

You have not mentioned what sort of work you are planning or how long you would be at each site but, once again I believe, CL sites (probably best to pick sites with electric hook up) have a maximum stay of 21 days.

You seem to have been researching what you need/want and I am sure you will be fine solo caravaning, don't be afraid to ask if you need help, club members don't tend to want to "interfere" but are only to willing to lend a hand when needed.

Moderator Edit:

Club main sites have a restriction of 21 nights at any one time but CLs permit you to stay for up to 28 nights.

eurortraveller replied on 30/05/2020 10:33

Posted on 30/05/2020 10:33

Diane, when I was in my thirties I lived in a small caravan without electric hook up from Mondays to Fridays for 7 months when I was working away from home. It wasn't fun.

Over the winter it was cold and condensation was a constant problem. Now big modern, centrally heated caravans are better than I had, but with your budget you won't have one of those. I really don't recommend what you have in mind for long term living. 

Takethedogalong replied on 30/05/2020 10:38

Posted on 30/05/2020 10:38

Hello and welcome Diane. I think you will manage very well, all you need to do is find a decent van, with a layout and living accommodation that suits you, and a few extra precautions for Winter and away you go. You need to think about using gas that won’t freeze, and insulating your water barrel and pipework for those frosty days.

There are plenty of very nice CLs that stay open all year round, some basic, others with more on site facilities. There are a few Club Sites that stay open as well, and the prices tend not to be quite so eye watering in the Winter months, so some of these might suit. Don’t dismiss small private sites, there are some well priced gems out there to fill in any gaps for the area you choose to live in. You can only stay on a Club Site for 21 days, but this extends to 28 days on CLs and small private sites. You might even be able to negotiate a good price for a long Winter stay, when CLs are quiet, so don’t be afraid to ask.

You haven’t said what your work is, but many people commute from their outfits on a daily basis, I think the key thing here is to be discreet, be quiet and respectful of other visitors and you are unlikely to encounter any issues. Depends a little bit on what your work might be of course.

Good Wishes, do the preparation and go for it😁

Tinwheeler replied on 30/05/2020 13:10

Posted on 30/05/2020 13:10

Diane, I guess your post has just been released from the newbie non-member moderation check so welcome to the world of CT.

I think I can honestly say I’ve never before read a post from a newcomer with a scheme in mind who has sussed things out and made plans to the extent you have. I think you'll do just fine as you’re clearly level headed and sensible.

Caravan layout and size is purely down to personal preference but making a good match with your tow car is very important. Buying a used van is a good idea anyway for a new venture as it’s much less of a financial outlay if you should discover the way of life is not for you or you’d prefer a different layout.

Yes, club sites and CLs are intended for leisure use but we have full timers using them and working from them. I guess it depends on what your work is to a large extent. Sitting in the van using your lappy or driving out each day aren’t likely to present a problem but setting up a market stall in your awning would be🀣.

Good luck.

Bakers2 replied on 30/05/2020 16:57

Posted on 30/05/2020 16:57

Hello and welcome from me too. Used to be a member but got rid if the motorhome last year  mostly down to OH health, our membership has lapsed.

I've not ruled out buying another motorhome and taking us and the puppy, probably be a dog by then, away when things settle down again.

There's lots of singles in this and the other club so you're obviously not any madder than the rest of us! There used to be a diary of dates, when and where folks were heading  so you could meet up if you wanted.

Tinwheeler is very right, you do seem very clued up but ask away there's lots of knowledge on here!

Takethedogalong makes some good points too.

Who knows what bargains will be around in the near future? When you can get to a showroom, usual precautions to the letter 😱 and look at as many as you can. Imagine living in each layout, take a friend if that's possible to knock ideas around. We bought our first and only motorhome 13 years ago, we were with camping friends who'd had a small campervan too so lots of great hints/tips/bouncing around comments in every one we looked at. Odd sort of day out as we only called in the showroom having taken our friends over the QE2 bridge as they moved away before it opened! OH refuses to take the cheque book out with him now 🀣, no worries I've got a partner to his credit card πŸ˜‰

Edit you can employ an engineer to check out your 'van before you buy. Could be money well spent πŸ˜‰

bill replied on 01/06/2020 14:37

Posted on 01/06/2020 14:37

You sound confident enough to try and I know a few women that caravan on their own but I know many more who have changed to motorhomes which they find more practical for their needs.

brue replied on 01/06/2020 14:46

Posted on 01/06/2020 14:46

Are you considering this due to the Covid crisis and being able to use your own accommodation? I'm wondering if others will be thinking the same if their work requires travelling?

Pippah45 replied on 01/06/2020 15:46

Posted on 01/06/2020 15:46

Hi Diane - I think the answer is yes yes and yes!  I am in my 70s and caravan alone.  I sold my old caravan about 18 months ago and that had the ability to keep me warm all year long.  It was well within your budget too. You don't need the Alde heating if you have a decent truma one in a not too big caravan.  I resisted the Alde heating for a while - and I like it more than I expected but I also liked the truma that gave out heat more like a fireplace almost.  Mine was an Abbey 2 birth.  If I had done a lot of winter stuff in that I would have put a small heater in the bathroom to help in there but keeping the door open works too!  I didn't go for the bed option because to my mind it takes up a lot of the living space.  Instead I used a single bed and rolled up the bed to one end during the day, excellent sofa back!   I looked round a LOT of caravans before deciding to go for the 2 birth - but those were my reasons and I am happy with the new van with that layout too.  I like my kitchen space as well as space for the dogs!  That's just my twopennyworth on why I got the 2 birth.  (Cheaper too - on the whole!)  Pity the new one is just looking at me but we are all in that same boat - hopefully able to get away in the not to distant future.  I spent 3 months in the old one in France - mostly to be near my brother in hospital but I did get away for a couple of breaks nearby.  You have had some answers from some of those at the luxury end of the market - I was very happy with my smaller budget models.  I came back to caravanning about 12 years ago and first van cost me £850 and that did me well too!  There are ways of moving around even if you are working - to get round the days allowed restriction.  As long as there are sites near where you want to be of course.  I recall one member going round three or four sites while working in one place.  

Very best of luck and let me know if I can help more.  

artyboo replied on 01/06/2020 17:41

Posted on 01/06/2020 17:41

I absolutely salute you. I drive a Moho now because I didn’t have the confidence to tow (I loved our caravan).

we were used to a large caravan with separate areas and I have reduced to a two berth MOHO. I actually just make the beds during the day and use them as seating areas. Unless you are particularly’ house proud’ this works fine for us. 

I would agree that you do not need a big old caravan. Many two berths are luxurious and have the bathroom amenities you need. They also give you more for your money.

Do let us know how you get on. You have almost inspired me to bin the Moho and go back to Caravans.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook