First time motor home holiday

MartinCampAdventures replied on 28/06/2020 20:26

Posted on 28/06/2020 20:26

hello!

We are first timers to motorhome holidaying!

We are hiring a motorhome in October with our 3 year old...

Has anyone got any tips or advice where to go and just general help!

We are campers but this will be our first time in a motor home!

Thank you!!!

peedee replied on 28/06/2020 20:38

Posted on 28/06/2020 20:38

The west country can be quite pleasant in October. The crowds have gone and if you are lucky the weather can be good.

peedee

JVB66 replied on 28/06/2020 20:38

Posted on 28/06/2020 20:38

I think we will need a bit more basic info 

How long is the hire?

What area are you ?

How much driving ?

Tinwheeler replied on 28/06/2020 20:46

Posted on 28/06/2020 20:38 by peedee

The west country can be quite pleasant in October. The crowds have gone and if you are lucky the weather can be good.

peedee

Posted on 28/06/2020 20:46

The same can be said of East Anglia, the Isle of Wight, Yorkshire, The Lakes.....

Help us out here, MCA, please.

eurortraveller replied on 28/06/2020 20:59

Posted on 28/06/2020 20:59

Cancel the Motorhome hiring and take the three year old to Center Parc somewhere - indoor swimming pools heated to near tropical 29C, a little bike with stabilisers on footpaths or a buggy towed behind mum or dad's bike, wild life, woodland, lake, indoor toys and games for wet days - and above all a child's separate bedroom for a bit of adult peace after 7pm. A three year old cooped up in a Motorhome on wet days in October doesn't bear thinking about. 

SteveL replied on 28/06/2020 23:31

Posted on 28/06/2020 20:59 by eurortraveller

Cancel the Motorhome hiring and take the three year old to Center Parc somewhere - indoor swimming pools heated to near tropical 29C, a little bike with stabilisers on footpaths or a buggy towed behind mum or dad's bike, wild life, woodland, lake, indoor toys and games for wet days - and above all a child's separate bedroom for a bit of adult peace after 7pm. A three year old cooped up in a Motorhome on wet days in October doesn't bear thinking about. 

Posted on 28/06/2020 23:31

Our two lads were camping in tents  with us from 6 months and really enjoyed it. Although not October it wasn't always dry. At least in a MH they won't be cold. I would think it a huge adventure for a 3 year old who had never done it before. I would suggest keeping it relatively local 200 miles or so. Not setting off for the far north of Scotland if you live where we do.

peedee replied on 29/06/2020 06:51

Posted on 28/06/2020 20:46 by Tinwheeler

The same can be said of East Anglia, the Isle of Wight, Yorkshire, The Lakes.....

Help us out here, MCA, please.

Posted on 29/06/2020 06:51

Anywhere can be risky in October. I  haven't missed going South West  once in the last 25 years. Last year was a bit wet but none of my visits have been a disaster in spite of it being late in the year.

peedee

JVB66 replied on 29/06/2020 10:15

Posted on 28/06/2020 23:31 by SteveL

Our two lads were camping in tents  with us from 6 months and really enjoyed it. Although not October it wasn't always dry. At least in a MH they won't be cold. I would think it a huge adventure for a 3 year old who had never done it before. I would suggest keeping it relatively local 200 miles or so. Not setting off for the far north of Scotland if you live where we do.

Posted on 29/06/2020 10:15

My daughter was less than 6 months old when away in our trailer tent  at easter 1969,,but FIL not happy so lent us money to get caravan and joined us in ccwink

Kontikiboy replied on 30/06/2020 13:50

Posted on 30/06/2020 13:50

Hi MCA, we live in Taunton and arrived back From Lake Garda last year on 6th Oct, it was Winter weather; constant heavy rain and windy. Gone are the days when we can predict the weather.    The SW has suffered badly during the past 10 years with poor weather and, in particular, the wind since the Jet Stream moved to settle mainly off our SW coast, instead off Iceland.

Where do you live?     In October I would heed the advice above and stay closer to home.

BillC

no one replied on 30/06/2020 15:13

Posted on 30/06/2020 15:13

It seems all doom and gloom,

Drive steady and take it easy. Our last outing in our MH was Dec to January in Cornwall, as long as you are prepared no matter what the weather, as long as it's not blowing 90 mph, you can still have fun. although being cooped up with a 3 year old may get a bit......frustrating!

October can be really nice weather or it could be the start of the Atlantic storms so just bare that in mind if heading somewhere on the west/southwest coast if you think its not worth it, you can always move to somewhere more sheltered, that's the point of a MH, just move on when you like where you like.

Make sure you listen to the handover and make notes of the way things work and operate. be aware of the safety stuff such as gas and mains electric for when you 'hook up'. Empty the water and waste tanks before travel so its not sloshing around causing instability when cornering, most campsites have a drive over service point where you can top up on arrival and dump before leaving. Don't be scared of the cassette toilet its easy to use and to get rid of the waste in a chemical waste point  (CWP), if using the shower etc keep an eye on the waste tank depending on size of it as you don't want to have an overflow onto your pitch, the Wardens will not be happy!

Otherwise get out and about and Enjoy the experience of driving your own bungalow  laughing

replied on 30/06/2020 15:23

Posted on 30/06/2020 15:23

When my wife and I changed from a trailer tent to a caravan we had a 10 year old and 3 month old daughters. Never found being cooped up with the kids a problem. laughing

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook