Electrics

EverySecondCounts replied on 02/06/2021 16:49

Posted on 02/06/2021 16:49

Hi all

Those who may have read my previous adventures regarding the towbar cable will be pleased to know I have wired both 7n/7s cables into one 13 pin, which fits into the towbar electrics with no adaptor.  We have hazards, indicators, brake lights, night lights, and crucially nightlights & brakelights at the same time (assuming the brake pedel is engaged)!  THere are absolutely no reverse lights on the caravan, and as i would rather do a detour round the sun than reverse the wagon, I'm ok with that.

The Mrs signed me up for a Facebook Caravanning page, loads of advice but I think there is a definite US bias in terms of equipment and advice.  My latest worry concerns plugging in the caravan power cable from the house.  I have an adaptor to fit the caravan power point, the other end just plugs into a normal household wall socket.  The FB group recommends plugging into a converter, again, it's US based whose sockets run off different voltages (110 I think, not 240).

Am I in danger of burning the house down?  Or setting fire to the caravan?

eribaMotters replied on 02/06/2021 16:54

Posted on 02/06/2021 16:54

I store my van at home in the garage and have done so for nearly 20 years. It is permanently hooked. I made a lead with a male fitting to fit the socket on the outside of the caravan to a three pin plug on the other end. 

Colin

Amesford replied on 02/06/2021 17:58

Posted on 02/06/2021 17:58

I have made up a lead using a spare hook up lead cut to the correct length which is stored in the shed so i do not have to take the 25 mtr hook up lead from the caravan and we now have the luxury (as the house recently been rewired) of a suitable exterior socket fitted on the side of the house 

EmilysDad replied on 02/06/2021 21:04

Posted on 02/06/2021 21:04

@ ESC ... Am I in danger of burning the house down? Or setting fire to the caravan?

No, not at all. It might be a good idea to plug into an RCD socket

Whittakerr replied on 03/06/2021 10:16

Posted on 03/06/2021 10:16

I'm pretty sure that any type of extension lead taken outdoors must be protected by an RCD. this could be at the socket or in the consumer unit.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook