Curtains

Parto replied on 04/05/2017 22:44

Posted on 04/05/2017 22:44

Is dry cleaning the only solution to cleaning caravan curtains  or are other solutions or know how out there ? If dry cleaning 5 sets how much do you think ?

Bakers2 replied on 04/05/2017 22:53

Posted on 04/05/2017 22:53

I didn't dry clean our motorhome ones, that have nets attached. I used a short gentle 30 degree 30 min wash. Wish I hadn't 😔.  The curtains are now very slightly shorter than the net but useable,  not sure anyone else has noticed as they haven't commented 😉. But my eye is continually drawn to it. Replacing is a possibility but need to do those, cab curtains and the over cab ones too. They're all lined and I don't think I can get the material and lining in such lightweight as existing plus the making off them, if I paid someone it would be far more than dry cleaning 5 sets of caravan curtains.  

Vicmallows replied on 05/05/2017 15:06

Posted on 05/05/2017 15:06

I didn't realise just how expensive dry cleaning had become until recently.  The cost for a pair of lined curtains (each 2.5m x 1.5m) was £65.  They did clean up very well, and as you say a lot cheaper that buying good quality new curtains.

(Apparently the cost for a standard 2-piece men's suite is currently £13. Fortunately I no longer wear such thingssmile)

DavidKlyne replied on 05/05/2017 17:32

Posted on 05/05/2017 17:32

In terms of cost it might be worth a look at some of the supermarkets that offer a dry cleaning service, usually through a third party. It was a few years ago but Morrisons seemed to good value. Alternatively seek out a small family owned independent where you may be able get a better rate as  caravan/motorhome curtains are a lot smaller than house curtains.

David

Bakers2 replied on 05/05/2017 17:39

Posted on 05/05/2017 17:39

We have a family run dry cleaners within walking distance. Very good service and quality. Our son brings his suits or other dry cleaning home if he can cos he reckons it's much better than he's found local to him. He has used companies that collect and drop off from his office as he doesn't work where there's anything. Yes £13-15 seems about right for a suit. With curtains we pay by the size, I presume square metre.

Wildwood replied on 05/05/2017 22:25

Posted on 05/05/2017 22:25

Most curtains will require dry cleaning but some may be washable. Not clear what caravan  you have got, or how many curtains it has, but you could look for labels on them although, I have to say I have never noticed any on ours.

From what I can gather thinner cotton curtains will usually wash but thicker ones and some linings need dry cleaning. Most British ones are supplied by Belfield Furnishings so assuming yours are original then they may be able to help.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook