Child-friendly sites

johnstrivens replied on 25/02/2018 16:46

Posted on 25/02/2018 16:46

My wife and I are new to caravanning and want to take the grandchildren away in the UK this summer to get some experience before we go abroad next year. Can anyone recommend a holiday site that is 1. Accessible by good roads from Lancaster 2. Has plenty to entertain children on site and 3. Has places/attractions nearby that can be vistied? I've ruled out Devon/Cornwall and the South East for our first trip and we have spent a great deal of time in Scotland in our motorhome so I'm hoping for coastal sites, possibly Cotswolds area, maybe Wales, maybe further south in Hampshire/Dorset. The main thing is to find a site where members have had great holidays with children (7 and 4). Any recommendations will be gratefully received.

moulesy replied on 25/02/2018 17:53

Posted on 25/02/2018 17:53

Depends exactly how the children want to be entertained, john. How about Longleat? It's a very attractive club site right on the doorstep of the estate itself so that might fit the bill. The site itself also has a small children's play area. Plenty to see in the area and you could even have a day in Bristol where the SS Great Britain might attract them. In the Cotswolds, Moreton in Marsh has a large children's play area though I'm not sure how much else there would be in that area to entertain a 7 and 4 year old. Or by summer there should be the steam rains running at Broadway, though you'd have to check the details first.

Good luck in your search. smile

JVB66 replied on 25/02/2018 18:05

Posted on 25/02/2018 18:05

I think as Husky says the majority of sites are child friendly, but then it also depends how much "effort" the "guardians" these days, are prepared to assist with the entertainmentwink

Cornersteady replied on 25/02/2018 18:16

Posted on 25/02/2018 18:16

Our children (now in their 20s) started caravaning when the youngest was 3 and we used club sites all the time. With club sites (apart from those with swimming pools) I would look for things to do off site rather than on site, and then look for those with playrooms and playing areas/playgrounds. Also (not trying to teach you to sucks eggs at all) have paper colouring pencils, colouring books and yes even DVDs and consider playstations if you want. That way you'll get some rest as well!

Most sites are child friendly but some more than most. Just a few recommendations of the best:

Troutbeck Head, lots to do in the Lakes anyway with walks, steamers , trains... but this site has an activity centre next door and large playroom (table tennis & pool) and two playgrounds

Melrose, large playground and playing fields next to the site

New England Bay, right on the beach, playroom and playground, probably the best children's site we've been on but away from it all a bit

Bridlington and Scarborough, close to sea and lots to do inland.

have fun!

ValDa replied on 25/02/2018 18:51

Posted on 25/02/2018 16:46 by johnstrivens

My wife and I are new to caravanning and want to take the grandchildren away in the UK this summer to get some experience before we go abroad next year. Can anyone recommend a holiday site that is 1. Accessible by good roads from Lancaster 2. Has plenty to entertain children on site and 3. Has places/attractions nearby that can be vistied? I've ruled out Devon/Cornwall and the South East for our first trip and we have spent a great deal of time in Scotland in our motorhome so I'm hoping for coastal sites, possibly Cotswolds area, maybe Wales, maybe further south in Hampshire/Dorset. The main thing is to find a site where members have had great holidays with children (7 and 4). Any recommendations will be gratefully received.

Posted on 25/02/2018 18:51

Our grandchildren (7 and 5 and a baby) went to Haven (Hafan Y Mor) near Pwllheli in North Wales and had a great time in the pools, and on the beach, then 'did' Snowdonia, the railway, and Anglesey.  They're excited to be going back to Wales with us this year but to a cottage in Abersoch.

nelliethehooker replied on 25/02/2018 19:49

Posted on 25/02/2018 19:49

If it's beaches they like you can't beat those in Northumberland, IMO. Sites at Berwick and Whitley Bay. Lots of places to visit in the county, and you could also try Durham with a visit to Beamish Open Air Museum.

replied on 26/02/2018 07:38

Posted on 25/02/2018 18:51 by ValDa

Our grandchildren (7 and 5 and a baby) went to Haven (Hafan Y Mor) near Pwllheli in North Wales and had a great time in the pools, and on the beach, then 'did' Snowdonia, the railway, and Anglesey.  They're excited to be going back to Wales with us this year but to a cottage in Abersoch.

Posted on 26/02/2018 07:38

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

eurortraveller replied on 26/02/2018 09:39

Posted on 26/02/2018 09:39

Any caravan site with a heated indoor swimming pool in case the weather is bad. Google will find them for you. Good luck.

DavidKlyne replied on 26/02/2018 10:11

Posted on 26/02/2018 10:11

I wonder if a child friendly site these days means a good internet connection! Perhaps they are a bit young for that? It depends whether you want onsite facilities on sites where they can have a bit of freedom. We were at Clumber Park last year and kids of all ages seemed to be have a wonderful time from dawn to dusk. Perhaps a bit left field but what about the C&CC site in Milton Keynes which is right next door to Gullivers Land, ideal for that age group. Most kids like to be near the sea so what about Norfolk? Crabbing off Cromer Pier will give hours of enjoyment.

David

ABM replied on 26/02/2018 15:25

Posted on 25/02/2018 17:57 by huskydog

Aren't all sites child friendly????

Posted on 26/02/2018 15:25

Of  course  they  are  HuskyPup,  it's  just  us  miserable,  grumpy  old  G**s  that  cause  folk  to get  the  wrong  impression  cool

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook