Caravan Window Breakage

gatewaya89 replied on 20/11/2017 16:08

Posted on 20/11/2017 16:08

Hi All

Having checked with our insurance service its nice to know we are fully covered for accidental damage or even damage through theft etc on our caravan windows being broke or smashed while towing or left on a storage site or holiday site.

The question we need to ask and we are sure for many on here (God forbid it should ever happen to anyone) is, what happens when you contact your insurer while lets say on route to your 2 week holiday destination with your van in tow within the UK?

Do they send someone out like "Autoglass" to repair your damaged window? Or are you told to get the van to the nearest dealer who can fix the problem? and then do you have to wait days for the replacement so losing out on your holiday days of 2 weeks?

Of course I suppose if it cracks rather than smashes then you could patch it up until you have had your holiday and hope it doesn't rain too much while in the UK?

We were just interested to know from caravanners who this has happened to what are insurers like about paying out when this happens? and how quick a repair can be done at a local dealer if you get the van to them? and if neither of the above what happens?

Await everyone's comments

JVB66 replied on 20/11/2017 16:54

Posted on 20/11/2017 16:54

Contact your ins company strait away,  I would think that you will probably have to do a temp repair yourself, as the lead time for a new window will depend on the make and year of your c/van as most windows tend to come from abroad,as there are so many types and sizes ,i do not think any stocks are kept,and New build vans will take priority at the manufacturers

Hedgehurst replied on 20/11/2017 17:26

Posted on 20/11/2017 17:26

For our only repair so far, luckily while at home, the window had to go in so they could take a mould off it, though ours is not a standard modern caravan. It took a couple of weeks.

I imagine a good roll of gaffer tape could be the best insurance meanwhile.

Tinwheeler replied on 20/11/2017 17:55

Posted on 20/11/2017 17:55

Definitely don’t expect an Auto Glass type of replacement. In Caravan world things take much, much longer. 

brightstar2 replied on 20/11/2017 17:56

Posted on 20/11/2017 17:56

I have an Adria - bedroom window fell out (not in anyway was it Adria's

Fault)

Window cracked and lost part of acrylic as it had degraded- bodged it 

with gaffer tape - got it home and phoned CC insurance who just said get one ordered and send us the bill.

Took 2 weeks to arrive and was £347 plus £50 carriage  

Sent bill to insurers - cheque on my desk within 72 hours - couldn't have been happier .

Great service from CC insurance.

ForestR replied on 20/11/2017 18:09

Posted on 20/11/2017 18:09

Never needed to replace whole window but did have all locks and catches prised off whilst stored at home in attempted theft luckily window not damaged. Last month whilst out on site in strong winds from Ophelia and Brian nearby caravan,s front window was damaged and temporary repair made with gaffer tape.

I have seen a more extensive temporary repair carried out to a missing window on site by using a sheet of plywood cut to just over size and placed on the outside. Held in place by drilling two holes through the plywood and using two wooden struts inside with two long bolts joining them and tightened to secure. Also can be used to effect a temporary repair if you lose or break a roof light.

Tigi replied on 20/11/2017 19:19

Posted on 20/11/2017 19:19

You`ll most likely be waiting in terms of weeks to get a new window from most manufacturers. Carrying a roll of tape is a good insurance policy for a number of events which can happen with caravans.

gatewaya89 replied on 21/11/2017 06:10

Posted on 21/11/2017 06:10

Hi All

Well that's any eye opener! let's hope we never have to experience what some of you have gone through!

Cannot believe though that spares are not readily available from manufactures?if they sell the vans then like cars they should hold some stock to service the whole of the UK I would have thought? bit strange that one!

So already carry gaffer tape and now have loads of spare materiel with new winter cover so god forbid could always do a bog-it job with that until you can get to a dealer!

Which does beg another question? Does the repair have to be carried out by your dealer i.e in our case The Elldis dealer we brought it from? Or can it be carried out by any approved NCC workshop?

thanks for all the comments

Ansley & Jane

lornalou1 replied on 21/11/2017 11:12

Posted on 21/11/2017 11:12

any NCC approved dealer should be able to repair any make of caravan, the question is would they want to. it come down to money as usual. if its a warranty repair most don't want to know because they have a difficult time getting the money from the manufacturers. its funny really as caravanning should be the easiest holiday to have, do what you want when you want but dealers and manufacturers seem to make it a little bit more difficult for us, unless you are one of the lucky ones that has never had a problem with anything to do with caravanning. just my opinion.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook