Caravan weight

thedribbler replied on 20/04/2021 20:47

Posted on 20/04/2021 20:47

I’m looking to buy a caravan but I’m having great difficulty trying to find the MTPML.

My cars v5c says:-

Max permissible mass 2160kg

Mass in service 1660kg

Technical permissible maximum towable mass -braked 1600kg

Im not sure what the first 2 refer to-is it the weight of the car unladen and then with a maximum load?

And I presume theTPMTM (MPTML?) is the max weight of caravan.

Any advice appreciated-please keep it simple😀

allanandjean replied on 20/04/2021 21:02

Posted on 20/04/2021 21:02

Hi, no problem keeping it simple-MTPLM is the caravans maximum technically permitted laden mass, so nothing to do with the car.

The two V5 figures are the car empty and it’s max weight loaded-the difference is what you can put in it however, the cars kerbweight, the traditional figure upon which weight recommendations are based, may be different so you should confirm that and then do your calculations. 

So, to be ‘legal’ you need a van who’s MTPLM is 1600kg as an absolute max but the lower the better.

I am sure others, hopefully Lutz, will be along soon!

Tinwheeler replied on 20/04/2021 21:10

Posted on 20/04/2021 21:10

I'll just add that the 1600kg towing max is a legal limit and must not be exceeded. It is a figure obtained under certain test conditions and doesn't mean it's wise to tow a slab sided white box of that weight at 60mph on the motorway. The further you can get below that figure, the better to ensure you don’t have a tail wagging the dog situation.

thedribbler replied on 21/04/2021 04:10

Posted on 21/04/2021 04:10

When it says MiRO for a caravan what does that normally include?

Spare wheel?

Gas bottle?

Clean and grey water butts?

Anything else?

cyberyacht replied on 21/04/2021 07:59

Posted on 21/04/2021 07:59

It depends on whether it is part of standard bit of kit when it leaves the factory. The best way is to take it to a weigh bridge and see what it actually weighs. The difference between that and the MPTLM is the amount you have to play with. With any UK caravan you will find it insufficient for what you really want to put in it.

If not on board when you weigh it empty, you have things like spare wheel, battery, gas bottles, movers, all heavy items before you even think about crockery, cutlery, clothes, aqua rolls etc.

KjellNN replied on 27/04/2021 09:40

Posted on 21/04/2021 04:10 by thedribbler

When it says MiRO for a caravan what does that normally include?

Spare wheel?

Gas bottle?

Clean and grey water butts?

Anything else?

Posted on 27/04/2021 09:40

It should include the spare wheel if it is a standard fitting, waste water container if supplied by the van manufacturer, ditto the step, external water pump, EHU cable, and an allowance for gas, which I think is only 10kg.  And anything else that was in the van when new from the factory.

Full details should be in your handbook.

Remember the allowed tolerance, which means the van could originally be significantly heavier than stated, have a read of the other thread on this.

eribaMotters replied on 27/04/2021 16:22

Posted on 27/04/2021 16:22

This might be worth looking up:-

BS EN 1646-2 

“Leisure accommodation vehicles for caravans' includes full gas and water , “This has been equated to 30 kg”

Colin

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook