Caravan theft and security

medwaydec replied on 24/04/2019 00:24

Posted on 24/04/2019 00:24

We had our caravan stolen from our drive last November (2018). We only had it 2 months.  I thought I would draw people’s attention to security. Especially newbies to caravaning. 

Please don’t ever assume your caravan is safe from theft. Even if you have insurance approved security devices. Having been a victim, I have done a lot of research and discovered that caravan theft is quite common and professional thieves will go to any lengths to steal a caravan. I’ve read of walls being knocked down and trees being cut down to steal a caravan. I drive passed many houses where a caravan is just sitting on a drive waiting to be towed away.  Please don’t let these thieving swines spoil your enjoyment. My point is, don’t make it easy for them.  Don’t scrimp on security.  The more you have, the harder it will be for them to steal you pride and joy. I’m not going to endorse or complain of any particular product. Do your own research.  My advice would be.

1. Put a good quality wheel lock on each wheel, not just one

2. Invest in 4 corner steady locks, not just 1 or 2

3. A good quality hitch lock is a must

4. Have a professional gps tracker fitted that is monitored 24/7

5. Fit another diy gps tracker as a back up

6. Have your car reg made up as a sticker and fit it to the caravan roof. Look at eBay for that

7. Fit a remote movement sensor alarm inside.

8. Fit a second door lock (Fiamma)

9.  Fit window locks (Google ‘lock em out’)

10. If possible, fit a strong chain around the corner steadies and anchor it to the ground.

11. Fit a CCTV to monitor your van.

12  Security mark you valuables inside the caravan with a UV pen.

The window locks and extra door lock wouldn’t stop your van from being stolen but will make it a bit harder to break in if it’s contents they were after.

Personally I think the more security you have, the harder it is for the thieves, but nothing will stop the determined ones that turn up with cutting gear.  When I reported our theft to the police, I was told that that they change the windows ASAP and cut the CRIS number from the chassis.

I think caravan manufacturers should be doing a lot more to help prevent theft. 

All we can do is make it as hard as possible for them to steal it. I hope my advice helps some of you.

Oneputt replied on 24/04/2019 06:36

Posted on 24/04/2019 06:36

Sorry to hear your van has been lifted

All good stuff but none of this will deter the thieves.  I'm constantly surprised at the amount of folk who reverse the van onto their property so it can be hitched up and towed out, put it in nose first.  Remove a wheel and put locking wheel nuts into the hub.  Even the above wont stop them if they have a Hi Ab type truck to lift the van.   CCTV is ok but the real professionals will jam your wifi signal.  

EmilysDad replied on 24/04/2019 08:53

Posted on 24/04/2019 06:36 by Oneputt

Sorry to hear your van has been lifted

All good stuff but none of this will deter the thieves.  I'm constantly surprised at the amount of folk who reverse the van onto their property so it can be hitched up and towed out, put it in nose first.  Remove a wheel and put locking wheel nuts into the hub.  Even the above wont stop them if they have a Hi Ab type truck to lift the van.   CCTV is ok but the real professionals will jam your wifi signal.  

Posted on 24/04/2019 08:53

If I put my caravan in the drive nose first it would make it difficult to get in & load/unload it. 

Tinwheeler replied on 24/04/2019 12:56

Posted on 24/04/2019 12:56

Nothing is fool proof and one school of thought says the more locks and devices you fit, the more damage will be caused to the van in removing them.

I've always said I’d not want a caravan/MH back once stolen and the best thing to have is a good insurance policy. 

Wildwood replied on 24/04/2019 15:35

Posted on 24/04/2019 15:35

Theft is to some extent a risk with all property. Thefts from your home are the most common form. The problem is that it can normally be seen from the road and the thieves can assess the security and plan accordingly. If the theft is from your home you are generally looking at professionals who know exactly what they are doing.

I would not argue with good wheel locks on both wheels or all four if you have them. The ALKO wheel lock is the most secure of the normal ones but not totally thief proof. You can get a Milenco one though filled with concrete which I believe is still undefeated but it is no use for touring owing to its weight.

Frankly any thief who can beat wheel locks will have no problem with wheel locks although they do slow them down a bit. Hitchlocks are useless, thieves will just use a chain or a prefabricated A frame and ignore it.

Trackers do work and could be a worthwhile investment, two is probably overkill though.

I am not convinced by anything on the roof. No one stands on a bridge looking for markings so they will not work although it might prove it is yours if it is recovered.

A second door lock is more likely to deters thieves who break but will not stop the caravan being stolen.

Lunars do have window locks although given the strength of the windows I am less than convinced they are a major threat to thieves.

Thieves normally burn off wheel locks so a further chain might delay them a bit but will not stop them.

I am afraid you can find a video from CCTV of a caravan being stolen on you tube and the CCTV made no difference. They thieves wore masks and the number of their Transit was not visible. That is not to say it is not worthwhile but unless very carefully positioned then it may not work other than to prove your insurance claim.

Security marking goods is worthwhile but again you are relying on them being recovered.

Possibly making your caravan more unique helps with additional markings on the outside would make it easier to spot  but even then some years ago the other club lost its training caravans, despite them have C&CC markings all over them.

Removing the wheels and using stands with locking wheel nuts is probably the most effective way of securing a caravan as suggested earlier. At the end of the day if you are going overboard with security though you are probably not cut out for a caravan.

Tigi replied on 24/04/2019 20:54

Posted on 24/04/2019 20:54

Its said removing all the cushions will put thieves off, a van is little use unless it has seating.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook