Caravan Sun Canopies

SPR1968 replied on 09/06/2023 07:58

Posted on 09/06/2023 07:58

We have a Bailey Alicanto 8ft wide caravan along with a sunncamp air awning, but we don’t use the awning much these days as we generally only stay for 2-3 days anyone trip, and it’s so much easier not having to put the awning up and then take it down.

With the summer now here I’ve been looking at sun canopies which seem light weight and much easier to put up.

The main reason is for some shelter for our chairs (rain) and cover from the sun for ourselves and the dog when it gets very hot (we actually like the sun though) 

These are some of the makes I’ve been looking at and sort of narrowed it down to, although there are others with similar products 

There seems to be a basic one

https://www.leisureshopdirect.com/outdoor/awnings-for-caravans/sun-canopies/maypole-universal-awning-sun-canopy-25m-x-25m

An air version 

https://www.leisureoutlet.com/213544-maypole-inflatable-canopy-for-caravans?gclid=CjwKCAjw-IWkBhBTEiwA2exyO3E1Rl2aUBtMTZm7OXhItadPWC2Rk70kNiFd50zIJo2y1qicoWmh4xoCJ6YQAvD_BwE

And then a fixed version 

https://www.jacksonsleisure.com/caravan-motorhome/fiamma-caravanstore-xl-caravan-and-motorhome-awning-canopy/#product-reviews

I’ve just got back the Lake District and many of the motor homes seem to have the fixed version which do look very sturdy, and at the time that’s what I wanted. But the air version looks lightweight and easy to put up, and then you have the cheaper ‘pole’ version.

Anybody have any thoughts, experiences with these ?

eribaMotters replied on 09/06/2023 09:20

Posted on 09/06/2023 09:20

I would avoid the lightweight ripstop nylon type canopies. Whilst they are surprisingly strong and water proof they make a lot of noise and just don't  "feel" right. 

I personally cannot see the benefits of the blow up canopy. They seem an expense for no benefit, but that's just my narrow minded opinion.

We started out 20 years ago with a Fiamma Caravanstore and have used once ever since. For the last 10 years it has been permanently on the back of the van as a second shade/cover for bikes/laundry rack etc.

On the door side we use a small lightweight air awning or a canopy that we travel with at all times as they are so lightweight. The Isabella Shadow is our choice and we have owned three different sizes for different vans. When it rains you can lift the centre pole, but we have had greater success with lifting the ends and dropping the centre to a v that diverts water.

If you did not mind swapping between awning and canopy before you left home then I would use the Caravanstore on the door side as well. If you had to swap it over or fit on site it is a bit awkward.

The ideal for us would be a wind out for the door side as you can still fit a regular awning  in your vans awning track or a lightweight in the front edge of the wind out. At £1300+ I cannot justify one though.

Colin

replied on 09/06/2023 09:26

Posted on 09/06/2023 09:26

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

allanandjean replied on 09/06/2023 10:12

Posted on 09/06/2023 10:12

Ah, the old “ canopy conundrum”!

The inescapable fact is that what suits for one type of trip, may not for another-so whilst we have Isabella Magnum and Sun Shine Plus, have also considered getting a Shadow for those overnight/short duration stops.

We did use a Caravanstore, but when staying longer had to remove it to fit the awning which was too much of a faff and the Magnum has to sit across a window which is not ideal, whilst the Sun Shine is great but a real pain to use as a full awning due to the system of attaching the front.Last year whilst on an Italian site about 20 Dutch vans arrived and it seemed every one had a roof mounted wind out canopy which Jean immediately thought a great way of avoiding the , seemingly inevitable, awning rage!

As they are roof mounted the awning channel can still be used, but it’s a lot of money for something which would get limited use as mentioned.

eurortraveller replied on 09/06/2023 10:40

Posted on 09/06/2023 10:40

I tried them , but could never get the rain to come down straight or the wind to stop blowing sideways - and the sun wouldn’t move to where I wanted it to be. So we gave them all up and at night the chairs went underneath.Minimalism.

dave the rave replied on 09/06/2023 13:59

Posted on 09/06/2023 13:59

I have the isabella shadow plus 1 end,works for me.......lightweight,just minutes to erect and with the one end can block wind,rain etc.My only fault with it is that the legs are slightly short for my swift elegance so I use stackapads under them.

DavidKlyne replied on 09/06/2023 14:07

Posted on 09/06/2023 14:07

We have used a Caravanstor on our previous caravans and on our two motorhomes have had Fiamma wind out sun canopies. The wind out one is a lot easier! Don't forget they are quite heavy so you have to take that into account. We tend not to leave it out overnight as it can flap around in the wind, even if light. Having said that its hardly any effort to wind it in and out. Fiamma do sell a device called a Magic Pro Rafter (?) which stops the flapping but its something else to carry and the sections are quite long for storage.

David

DaveCyn replied on 09/06/2023 14:25

Posted on 09/06/2023 14:25

Cheap and cheerful Sun Camp sun awning.

Goes up in around 3 minutes and down folded away in about the same.

replied on 09/06/2023 17:36

Posted on 09/06/2023 17:36

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

SPR1968 replied on 10/06/2023 07:01

Posted on 10/06/2023 07:01

Thanks everyone, and I mean all of you, for the different opinions and also recommendations.

I hadn’t heard of some if the options and I’ve already checked each of them out.

Trouble is, I still don’t know which to choose! Lol

Im sort of inclined to go with a Fiamma 360XL, just because they look good quality, seem easy to use and can be left fixed in place for the season. I think this is the type I noticed on the motorhomes recently and the people seemed to take them up and down quickly which I suppose with a Motorhome you need to.

But then I like the apparent simplicity of something like the Sunncamp or Maypole basic options….   Oh and the inflatable….!

Im very aware if the saying ‘buy cheap buy twice’ so I tend to always buy the best in the first place, but I want an easy life and quick setup and take down which is what we have at the moment……

SPR1968 replied on 11/06/2023 10:48

Posted on 11/06/2023 10:48

Just an update, Ive ordered the Fiamma caravanstore 360xl with matching ground sheet, storm pegs and hanging hooks which will be handy. 

I was going for the 440 version, but you have to leave 15cm free space below the awning rail for it to sit.  We have a door light which is within 10cm so it may not have fitted snuggly if at all so I decided better safe than sorry.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook